Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hi, Might and Magic fans, what are you're opinion on MMX?

It's worth a play, I liked it enough to finish it and its DLC. The main criticism I have with it is the Ashan setting. Terrible. It drags everything down with it, but it's still a cool game. I would've liked to see an MMXI, but I doubt Ubisoft will allow such a thing, given the abysmal sales of X.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Wait for a steam sale and then give it a shot. The devs are fans of MM and it's an homage to MM 3-5 but plays quite differently. Less focus on exploration and more on combat.

Luzur

Good Sir
Hi, Might and Magic fans, what are you're opinion on MMX?

It's worth a play, I liked it enough to finish it and its DLC. The main criticism I have with it is the Ashan setting. Terrible. It drags everything down with it, but it's still a cool game. I would've liked to see an MMXI, but I doubt Ubisoft will allow such a thing, given the abysmal sales of X.

Well Ubisoft told me and the VIP team that the game didnt sell well enough to be worthy of a MMXI, but that the dev team will fight for a new game to be made, but then again the dev team has prob been shipped off to make Heroes games forever in Eastern Europe.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well Ubisoft told me and the VIP team that the game didnt sell well enough to be worthy of a MMXI, but that the dev team will fight for a new game to be made, but then again the dev team has prob been shipped off to make Heroes games forever in Eastern Europe.

If it doesn't happen, it's probably for the best.
F... their un-moddable unity engine !
F... their tedious city exploration each time you want to come back for shopping purposes !
F... their butchered spirit beacon version !
F... their loading time !
F... their blessing-locked areas.

It was a nice try but it lacked a true vision and the will to create something great that could be modded and live for years.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I did it:whiteknight:
vrqxeBQ.jpg

Now thinking of taking a brake from Might Magic and jumping to Wizardry 7.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I have resumed playing Might & Magic 1 lately.

I'm really not sure what I think about this one to be honest. The scope for its time is unbelievable, and even the UI is great once you spend a few minutes getting used to it.

The balance though just seems ridiculous. I'll go explore an area, fight 5-6 battles that are either braindead easy or require some spells here and there, and then get a random encounter with a dozen enemies with AOE attacks that do 25%-33% of my total HP for each character, each hit. So that is an unavoidable party wipe, and it's back to the inn to try again. It's frustrating because it is not really punishing lazy play or dumb tactics, it's just a random party wipe when every other encounter in the area has suggested that I can handle the area with little or no problem.

This happens pretty much whichever direction I go, so I figured I was missing something huge and checked a "spoiler-free" walkthrough, which basically said to pop fixed encounters over and over until you can easily handle any random encounter in the area, rinse and repeat. That seems retarded, so I thought I'd ask the experts on the Codex for advice.

So this is my situation:

- Running a typical KPCRAS party, characters are either level 6 or 7.
- I've got Sorpigal and it's dungeon and wilderness area (C-2) 100% mapped (searched all walls for secret doors) with all fixed encounter squares defeated at least once.
- I've got bits and pieces of surrounding wilderness areas mapped, but random/fixed encounters outside of C-2 are basically impossible at this point.
- I've got Erliquin 100% mapped (and did the quest from the Sorpigal dungeon there)
- I've got bits and pieces of Wizard's Cave mapped, but cannot defeat a fixed encounter that is stopping my progress with the dungeon because none of my weapons or magic are effective (assuming that I need magic weapons)
- I explored what I could of Castle Blackridge North, but need the merchant's pass to get any further

I've been following the "roads" in the wilderness between towns and castles, thinking that they would be safer than other areas, but I still will get a randomly impossible encounter now and then. Is that the best option at this point?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have resumed playing Might & Magic 1 lately.
You're level 6/7 and you haven't even got magic weapons yet? You must have been doing a lot of grinding. Encounters outside C-2 are definitely not impossible, though I agree that the balance is a bit out of whack.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's actually the fixed encounters that can ruin your day even if you play ultra cautiously, like the Winged Beast near Algary, and Lich and Dark Knight encounters in the mid left part of the map.
As long as you're lvl 5+ and cast all protection spells, you need pretty bad luck to face an impossible encounter.

Like MM2, the game is a mix of level and area scaled, but some areas have higher minimum and maximum level monsters than others. In Sorpigal you only face lvl 1 monsters, unless you break into the jail.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Strange Fellow
It's not that I've been grinding, but I've been trying to play as much as possible without walkthroughs, etc., so it's been a lot of wandering around mapping and fighting without really getting much accomplished, to be honest. I haven't been lucky with loot at all, I have some low level magic armor (and actually I do have one magic weapon).

octavius
I have been casting the protection spells I have (cold/fire/poison). Protect Fire was a lifesaver when I first got it, but now it seems to do nothing (enemies just shoot fire right through it). At this point, the only enemy I recall that has a poison attack is troglodytes, and whether I have Protect Poison up or not, every single enemy sprays poison every time (slight exaggeration), so eventually every character ends up poisoned by the end of the round haha.

I probably should have just went with the default party, because I got tired of rerolling and just ended up accepting characters with decent stats. That sucked for the first part of the game, but got better once I reached level 2/3 and had better equipment. Now it seems like it's biting me in the ass again, because everyone misses more often than not and I am relying on fireball/lightning bolt to take out most enemies.

I guess what's annoying is it's become impossible to run from the random encounters at this point. I'll go accomplish something and head back only to get attacked by a dozen enemies, many of which have AOE attacks and which surround me if I try to escape. I think this is the main reason I feel like I am just spinning my wheels in the mud.

*Just now I decided to stop banging my head against party kill encounters in the wilderness, and used the leprechaun in Sorpigal to transport to some of the other towns. Dusk has magic equipment stores, so I loaded up on weapons and now feel retarded haha.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not that I've been grinding, but I've been trying to play as much as possible without walkthroughs, etc., so it's been a lot of wandering around mapping and fighting without really getting much accomplished, to be honest. I haven't been lucky with loot at all, I have some low level magic armor (and actually I do have one magic weapon).
I've been there. Hell, I am there. I suppose we play very differently, I started running around all the outdoor areas as soon as I could survive C-2. It worked out in the end, and I've had +2 weapons on everyone for a good while now. I'm sure I had magic weapons before level 6 at least. And yes, I was going to suggest going to Dusk and doing some shopping, but I didn't know how strict you are about spoilers.
Oh, and which one's the Wizard's Cave? The one in C-2?

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Strange Fellow

The Wizard's Cave is the one in C-2. I thought I'd be able to make some progress after that one fixed encounter with the Caryatid Guards, but killing them just got me a button to press. I know the dungeon states are not saved if you leave, so going all the way to the dungeon, defeating the Guards, and pressing the button each time just to explore a bit and likely get wiped by a random encounter is too tedious/risky at this point.

Believe me, I am not doubting you, but I simply cannot imagine running around exploring the outdoor areas even at this point. I feel like I am making zero progress at all, just updating my map a few squares and taking out some easier enemies, and then running into a random encounter of a dozen enemies that I cannot run from, and which at least half of them have AOE attacks they love to all use each turn. I simply cannot keep up with the damage they do, and even magic doesn't seem to help (enemies with AOE attacks tend to always be in melee range, so no fireballs... and lightning seems to only damage 2-3 enemies, and never does enough damage to kill anything straight away).

I was going through C-2 to fight and win the fixed encounters at least once, to see if any of them give hints or required items or anything (M&M seems like that kind of game), and more often than not I am having little to no trouble with the fixed encounters, only to get wiped by insane random encounters. I will even run into one of these crazy encounters 2-3 steps from Sorpigal, which is nuts.

[edit] It looks like CRPGaddict basically had exactly the same problem in the same point in the game as I am having. He eventually went on to finish the game of course, but not before creating some new characters with much higher stats and replacing some members of his original party. I REALLY don't hope I have to resort to that ;_;

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom