Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The List of Incline (Now with a poll)

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

Rake

Arcane
If only Troika somehow managed to meagerly stay alive and could do a Kickstarter. ;_;
The only way they could have stay in buisness until now would be to follow the Obsidian route and make popamole games with some good RPG elements. No turn based no nothing.
Yes, it would be good to have a third company on par with Obsidian and inXile, but it wouldn't be the idealized Codex favorite company that it is now.
Also most big names from Troika are absorved in Obsidian or have started indie companies and working on :incline: RPgs now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only way they could have stay in buisness until now would be to follow the Obsidian route and make popamole games with some good RPG elements. No turn based no nothing.
Yes, it would be good to have a third company on par with Obsidian and inXile, but it wouldn't be the idealized Codex favorite company that it is now.
Also most big names from Troika are absorved in Obsidian or have started indie companies and working on :incline: RPgs now.

Obsidian's popamole was still good half the time, and interesting the other half. I would rather an alive Troika than a dead one.

Rake

Arcane

Obsidian's popamole was still good half the time, and interesting the other half. I would rather an alive Troika than a dead one.
Yeah, me too. I'm an Obsidian fanboy. But Troika is kind of idolized in the Codex as the last "pure RPG" company, and it wouldn't be so if they "popamolized" their games to stay in buisness.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, me too. I'm an Obsidian fanboy. But Troika is kind of idolized in the Codex as the last "pure RPG" company, and it wouldn't be so if they "popamolized" their games to stay in buisness.

True enough.

Imagine if Bloodlines was Invisible War'd.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All of Troika's games sold enough to make money according to Tim Cain. If they could have self published, they would still be in business.

Also Obsidian has never made a "pure RPG" like Arcanum. So I think they're idolized by what they actually did.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What kind of dummy wouldn't vote for every single one of those options?

Have you played Divinity 2?

Perhaps a metaphor will help to clarify: If someone brings you a shit sandwich to eat one day, then promises to bake you a delicious chocolate cake the next evening, would you perhaps be a little bit skeptical until you've actually got a slice of that cake on your plate?

2013 and 2014 are going to be the best years in a long time.
That's for certain. :thumbsup:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Have you played Divinity 2?

Perhaps a metaphor will help to clarify: If someone brings you a shit sandwich to eat one day, then promises to bake you a delicious chocolate cake the next evening, would you perhaps be a little bit skeptical until you've actually got a slice of that cake on your plate?
Actually yeah, I've never played any of the Divinity games. I thought the one they're running the Kickstarter for was that turn-based super reactive ultimate RPG Sven Vincke's been talking about but I haven't really been keeping up with it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

The kind of dummy who can exercise a little restraint and who sees the purpose of the poll in the first place: to get an idea which of the choices seem to be the most popular. You know, like virtually every other poll ever taken?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The kind of dummy who can exercise a little restraint and who sees the purpose of the poll in the first place: to get an idea which of the choices seem to be the most popular.

It's pretty simple, really: You're either looking forward to the game, or you aren't.

If you decide not to check a game that you're looking forward to (or to check a game you aren't, though I doubt many would do that), then that behavior in fact perverts the stated intention of this poll. Manipulating the poll for whatever purpose you've personally assigned to it is your choice, but admonishing someone else for not doing the same makes you look silly.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

The kind of dummy who can exercise a little restraint and who sees the purpose of the poll in the first place: to get an idea which of the choices seem to be the most popular. You know, like virtually every other poll ever taken?
I can't show restraint and I'm irrationally excited for 2013 and 14.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I can't handle so much incline at once, so for now my votes go to Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns. Those are absolute must-haves for me as a combatfag.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Lots of potentially great games, indeed. I'm mostly interested in Wasteland 2, Underrail, Torment, Grimrock 2 and Shadowrun Returns. I know I'll get crucified for this, but I never played Wasteland, so Wasteland 2 will be my introduction to the universe.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I see I haven't been effective enough in discouraging enthusiasm for Eternity.

True enough.

Imagine if Bloodlines was Invisible War'd.
Bloodlines couldn't be Invisible War'd because it was already extraordinarily dumb and simple. That was Troika's popamole game.

Rake

Arcane

You are the one who goes " Eternity will be the first perfect RPG EVAR with fun gameplay because it is in the hands of Josh Sawyer,ah those magical hands i want them all over me, Saywer makes all the right decisions, is the only one who knows what he is doing, pretty much all other games get it wrong" etc. You call this discouraging?
You have a split personality or something?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So my cheerleading is encouraging? Wonderful news. :)

Lancehead

Liturgist

You are the one who goes " Eternity will be the first perfect RPG EVAR with fun gameplay because it is in the hands of Josh Sawyer,ah those magical hands i want them all over me, Saywer makes all the right decisions, is the only one who knows what he is doing, pretty much all other games get it wrong" etc. You call this discouraging?
You have a split personality or something?
No, it's more of a reverse psychology thing, intentional or no. Ask evdk.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Darklands stuff is what gave the codex a raging boner about PE (well, myself personally).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom