Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

KK1001

Arbiter
The main difference between BOTW and an Ubisoft game is that nothing outside of NPCs is interactable in Ubisoft shit. The "fun" of BOTW is layering the freedom of a typical open world game with how you interact with the open world. Where BOTW gets into trouble is that so much time was spent on the system elements that there wasn't as much time to craft interesting content; hence, no real dungeons, reliance on the glider. The fact that IMO the most fun is in the plateau, where it feels like a pseudo-survival adventure game, says a lot.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I've been playing this quite a bit lately, and since it was my second playthrough I decided to just mess around and get some armor sets. I gotta say, getting the Ancient Armor set alone is probably one of the most fun things to do in this game. The 'grind' for ancient materials is actually fairly engaging since the Guardians tend to keep you on your toes, even when you know how to deal with them. Not only that, but the feeling once you have the full set and you go back to the Guardians with a few upgrades on and start to cut down their limbs with the Master Sword and in general just completely take them apart while they struggle to put a dent on you... it's just extremely satisfying. One of the best examples of well-executed progression in the game, and probably in open world games in general.

Apart from that, I also liked that one of the most efficient places to gather ancient materials is Hyrule Castle, as the area is a blast to explore. I find that Hyrule Castle is actually more interesting than the Divine Beasts, as its more 'RPG dungeon' kind of design is a much better fit for BOTW's gameplay than traditional Zelda dungeons. I hope we see more stuff like it in the sequel.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It really is a shame the game could not be ported to PC with full mod support. Nintendo could probably make some money.

One of my favorite things in BotW was mastering perfect block to the point where I could almost auto-block Guardian lasers every time, and have them destroy themselves.

And yeah, BotW is such a perfect game for different approaches and pure blissful exploration. Some people whine that it's too empty, but they are the type who need epic points of interests everywhere, BotW was fun to explore on a more fundamental level. Different biomes, neat things to find everywhere, different shit to try.

dacencora

One of my favorite things in BotW was mastering perfect block to the point where I could almost auto-block Guardian lasers every time, and have them destroy themselves.

And yeah, BotW is such a perfect game for different approaches and pure blissful exploration. Some people whine that it's too empty, but they are the type who need epic points of interests everywhere, BotW was fun to explore on a more fundamental level. Different biomes, neat things to find everywhere, different shit to try.
Maybe it’s different on CEMU, but I didn’t think the biomes were rewarding enough views to encourage exploration. The reason I’m not a big fan of the exploration in BOTW is because the only reward you ever get (minus some eye candy for some) is a Spirit Orb, most of the time. Sure, some shrines are fun to uncover, but with no exciting gear locked away in a dark cave (a la Morrowind) or environmental storytelling (Dark Souls, Bethesda), the exploration is only really exciting if you’re captivated by the art style of BOTW and think the world is beautiful. I think the art style is okay, and the Switch doesn’t really do it any favors. Agree with the above poster that the best place for exploration is Hyrule Castle, because of interesting loot and good encounters. I also thought the Lost Woods was a fun place to explore, but overall I didn’t find it a fun map to figure out, because the secrets were so-so.

EDIT: just remembered, the Temple of Time in the GP is a beautiful set piece, and so are the ruins near Hyrule Castle. Those are all excellent for exploration, but those are very small parts of a fairly large and empty map.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It really is a shame the game could not be ported to PC with full mod support. Nintendo could probably make some money.

Nintendo would rather crash & burn than ever porting their exclusives to another platform
Shit with their old exclusives they can be retarded (F-Zero GX has never made it's way to their online shop, despite fan pressure to) - and in general their online practices are anti-consumer

I couldn't get into it :( I liked the cool physics-based object interaction and the amount of stuff you can do by using the rune magic and abusing enemy AI, loved the approach to open world that allows for multiple paths/solutions, "manual" quest compass that almost felt like not having one at all, but crafting, low weapon durability and insane amounts of downtime just running around really killed this game for me.

I generally consider most 3d zeldas excellent metroidivania-lites, and can forgive their flaws (both windwaker and ocarina had a lot of downtime too, sailing across the windwaker's sea and rolling across hyrule fields in ocarina was getting pretty boring at times). But this is like Zelda for Far Cry fans. Maybe I should give it another chance with weapon durability mods on CEMU and see if it helps.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Weapon durability gripes are over exaggerated considering how tough the Master Sword is, but then again I like sliding on the shield downhills, then flying in the air with the bow and arrow and glider.

dacencora

Weapon durability gripes are over exaggerated considering how tough the Master Sword is, but then again I like sliding on the shield downhills, then flying in the air with the bow and arrow and glider.
You're absolutely right because the issue is non-existent later in the game, and it's supposed to encourage you to get creative with your weapons.

However, one of the bigger disappointments of Skyward Sword for me was the durability mechanic, and they not only kept it in BOTW, but expanded upon it. It's essentially a subversion of the permanent unlock mechanic that Zelda is known for. I can understand why that would be refreshing for some people, but I really like the Zelda formula. BOTW doesn't match that formula in a lot of ways, which is why it will never be one of my favorite Zeldas. I like the game, but it doesn't "feel" like Zelda a lot of the time. Maybe BOTW2 will be better in that regard.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
You're absolutely right because the issue is non-existent later in the game, and it's supposed to encourage you to get creative with your weapons.

However, one of the bigger disappointments of Skyward Sword for me was the durability mechanic, and they not only kept it in BOTW, but expanded upon it. It's essentially a subversion of the permanent unlock mechanic that Zelda is known for. I can understand why that would be refreshing for some people, but I really like the Zelda formula. BOTW doesn't match that formula in a lot of ways, which is why it will never be one of my favorite Zeldas. I like the game, but it doesn't "feel" like Zelda a lot of the time. Maybe BOTW2 will be better in that regard.

BOTW is the best Zelda (gameplay wise) because you can climb mountains and glide instead of rolling through Hyrule Field or riding a boring horse the whole game. The wolf mechanic in Twilight Princess rubbed me the wrong way so hard I never beat it. Then again I like Windwaker.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Link to the Past and OoT have better puzzles/dungeons and you don't spend tons of time collecting stuff for crafting... I like BotW but it's a mixed bag in terms of Zelda experience.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I agree that is why BOTW 2 really needs to fix those dungeons.

Mechanically the shrines were ok but somehow they forgot atmosphere and changing locations matter aside from just the looks.

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
Dungeons and enemy variety! - Exploration is BotW's hallmark, and I'm hoping the sequel will have an overworld, underworld and skyworld that connect in a variety of ways and that you can (eventually) move between freely.

dacencora

BOTW is the best Zelda (gameplay wise) because you can climb mountains and glide instead of rolling through Hyrule Field or riding a boring horse the whole game. The wolf mechanic in Twilight Princess rubbed me the wrong way so hard I never beat it. Then again I like Windwaker.
Purely gameplay wise, I think I like A Link Between Worlds the most. It's got really tight controls, excellent dungeons, excellent use of classic Zelda item-gameplay. A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening Remake similarly are excellent. Favorite gameplay in a 3D Zelda definitely has to go to Ocarina of Time, but I can see why BOTW is popular.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Purely gameplay wise, I think I like A Link Between Worlds the most. It's got really tight controls, excellent dungeons, excellent use of classic Zelda item-gameplay. A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening Remake similarly are excellent. Favorite gameplay in a 3D Zelda definitely has to go to Ocarina of Time, but I can see why BOTW is popular.

If you removed the climbing from BOTW I would not like it so something is there. I liked that aspect (although a bit different) in Death Stranding. I did not play A Link Between Worlds because it would be the only game I would play on that system. The Awakening remake played ok from what I saw.

mogwaimon

Magister
I finally got around to playing this last month and after a long journey I'd say that, while the game was pretty gud and not so nasty with the durability mechanics once you get to a certain point, it definitely doesn't feel like a Zelda game. sure the elements are there and all but as far as the gameplay and structure of the game go, well...i personally hope that this isn't the direction of the series moving forward. Still, the fact that they're doing a BotW2 and had Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity suggests that it will be and so I will just hope that BotW2 improves on the dungeoneering and brings back more of a focus on tight level design rather than putting everything into exploration and allowing the player to tackle anything in any order and all that. Which has its merits, true, I do think it's kinda cool that you could conceivably fight Calamity Ganon as soon as you get the paraglider but still, 120 mini-puzzle shrines and slightly larger cookie cutter puzzle shrines in the form of the Divine Beasts does not for a satisfying Zelda experience make, IMO.

also really, REALLY hate that they designed the game around one-shot kills on the player, too. Even with 15+ hearts you can still die in one hit by an errant Moblin swing depending on what they're wielding and while I understand that they might have done it that way because you can just cook healing items ad-infinitum and have resurrection abilities and fairies and all that it still sucks.

Falksi

Arcane
The more I read about this game the shitter it sounds. Like some dumb open-world souls wannabee, and nowt like a Zelda game.

And asking folk to stop thinking of a Zelda game as a Zelda game is one of the most retarded things I've ever read.

What's next, give the next Streets of Rage game none-combat solutions to beating stages, then tell people not to expect combat?

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Breath of the Wild is more like Zelda 1 than any other game, just in 3D but with more towers to climb. Also a fair chunk of the map is filler with naught but minor treasure to find.

mogwaimon

Magister
The more I read about this game the shitter it sounds. Like some dumb open-world souls wannabee, and nowt like a Zelda game.

And asking folk to stop thinking of a Zelda game as a Zelda game is one of the most retarded things I've ever read.

What's next, give the next Streets of Rage game no-combat solutions to beating stages?

I mean it's a good game, I enjoyed most of my time with it but it's just not great at being a Zelda game. And yes, Porky is derpin out again apparently.

Breath of the Wild is more like Zelda 1 than any other game, just in 3D but with more towers to climb. Also a fair chunk of the map is filler with naught but minor treasure to find.

eeeehhhhh in the loosest sense, perhaps? maybe? I don't see it other than Zelda 1 is also fairly lenient with which order you can do dungeons in, with some exceptions.

dacencora

This is a pretty regular defense of BOTW, and I think it’s flat-out dumb. BOTW has good elements, but A Link to the Past is without a doubt the closest thing to Z1. It builds upon every gameplay element of Z1 and mostly improves upon it.

To me, ALttP feels like the Zelda game they wanted to make with the original Zelda.

I’m not sure what BOTW has in common with Z1, gameplay-wise, outside of the Master Sword and a guy named Link who saves Zelda from Ganon. BOTW feels like a natural evolution from Skyward Sword, not a return to roots. The only thing that feels like a “return” is the loss of the helper NPC.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
One of the biggest departure from the zelda formula that has never been mentioned is that you are given all the main items in the introduction part instead of gradually getting from each dungeon (+ some outside of the dungeons).

In the older games you would perhaps find a rock which you couldn't get past, but after you acquired the necessary item (bombs, hammer etc.) you would backtrack in order to find what's hidden behind the rock. This has existed all the way back from Zelda 1 (to a lesser degree in the first game), but is completely absent from Botw. This is probably one of the aspects that contributes to the monotonous feel of the game.

One positive thing that has never been mentioned is that you can complete all side quests with quest marks turned off. The journal is detailed enough.

I didn't get as far, dropped the game after the zorah village and replayed twilight princess instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom