Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The dungeons in this are really bad, probably the worst in the series. Most of the other games have 8 or 9 interesting themed dungeons full of enemies that take a few hours each to complete, all of which are very different from eachother. Breath of the Wild has four, and they all share the same graphical style and are very short. I get that they sacrificed this aspect of the game because they wanted a huge open world, but it wasn't worth it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The dungeons in this are really bad, probably the worst in the series. Most of the other games have 8 or 9 interesting themed dungeons full of enemies that take a few hours each to complete, all of which are very different from eachother. Breath of the Wild has four, and they all share the same graphical style and are very short. I get that they sacrificed this aspect of the game because they wanted a huge open world, but it wasn't worth it.

Shrines are where it's at, plus the dungeon I just did seemed adequate considering how much work I had to do to get there. It felt like a dungeon itself which I know sounds dumb as fuck, but it really does feel like that. You have to really balance your stamina, and temperature, and health in such a way that navigating to the dungeons is often half the fun. You are solving puzzles constantly along the way. Plus the old themes of Forest, Wind, Fire are so tiring now...it's why I quit TP.

Crospy

Learned
So yeah, fuck "originality" and "maturity", I would rather play 20 more Zelda titles with a Petar Pan-looking kid in cell-shaded cartoony style than 20 new IP's with generic 30-something brown-haired action heroes hiding behind cover and shooting wave after wave of same-y enemies in some derivative setting and realistic graphics that got stuck in an uncanny valley.

I always find the off-hand derision of cartoon-ness in games both amusing and sad.[...] Good luck imprinting on realistic Link with stubble, photo textured combat scars, and Moblin shit on his shoes.

Well, we live in a world where people think post-apocalyptic, Mad Max LoZ would be a good idea. Muh change, muh gritty and mature vidyas.

You two should know, one can find Wind Waker's art style to be distasteful without necessarily wanting some ultra realistic uncanny valley rendition of Zelda.

There are so many ways to render more abstract graphics without ending up with WW's dumb looking characters, Okami is a good example of what can be done with the medium without it looking like saturday morning cartoons.

mpvHTmL.jpg

f8eyBT7.jpg

7Oow5su.jpg

It would have been an amazing fit for Twilight Princess to feature an artstyle like this too.

sullynathan

Arcane
What else is wrong with the dungeons except that there aren't as many as previous 3D Zelda

I've only done the elephant dungeon so far. It did seem a bit short and the battles were easy. But I waited a long time before starting it so the fights might be a different story if the dungeon is tackled when its more 'level appropriate'. The one thing I disliked about the 3DS games' dungeons was you could tackle them in 'any order', meaning they were all about the same difficulty no matter when you started them. This game might follow the same philosophy. I personally like when you have Dungeon 7 being a lot harder than Dungeon 2, but it's a minor complaint in the big scheme of things.

Still thought the puzzles inside were pretty great, though, and I'm pretty sure I got through a few of them the 'wrong' way. This engine and the tools they give you to mess with lead to some unique puzzles. You're not generally sniping eyeball switches or lighting torches this time around.

Keldryn

Arcane
I didn't dislike the graphics in The Wind Waker, but damn that's a great reminder just how gorgeous Okami's visuals were.

I've considered picking up a cheap PS3 so that I can play it in HD. Originally played it on PS2, got the Wii port but found it disappointing (how the hell was it generally harder to draw those shapes with the Wiimote insteaf of the analog stick?).

A Switch version would make me very happy, but I suspect the odds of that happening are nil.

J1M

Arcane
I didn't dislike the graphics in The Wind Waker, but damn that's a great reminder just how gorgeous Okami's visuals were.

I've considered picking up a cheap PS3 so that I can play it in HD. Originally played it on PS2, got the Wii port but found it disappointing (how the hell was it generally harder to draw those shapes with the Wiimote insteaf of the analog stick?).

A Switch version would make me very happy, but I suspect the odds of that happening are nil.
Never played it, but if you don't want it to look like garbage, your only option is emulation.

Only known example of kotaku doing video game journalism: http://kotaku.com/5920943/now-this-is-okami-in-hd

17qthdhfv6i0wjpg.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
You two should know, one can find Wind Waker's art style to be distasteful without necessarily wanting some ultra realistic uncanny valley rendition of Zelda.

There are so many ways to render more abstract graphics without ending up with WW's dumb looking characters, Okami is a good example of what can be done with the medium without it looking like saturday morning cartoons.

7Oow5su.jpg

It would have been an amazing fit for Twilight Princess to feature an artstyle like this too.

:negative:
Yes. Instead we got this.

It didn't look good even in 2006. Now it's all just a big green/brown smudge.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm still glad they went with the realistic style for TP, the original plan was for it to be direct sequel to Wind Waker with the cartoon style. While I don't mind Wind Waker's style, I like how most of the Zelda games have their own look that is instantly recognisable.

Machocruz

Arcane

Didn't think he was referring to WW, but BotW which has the Peter Pan looking Link. Wind Waker's wink looked like a bedpan, not Peter Pan. WW had utterly awful character art for Link and his fellows. Very lazy, not good cartooning. But environments and effects were very nice.

And my Saturday morning cartoons were classic Tom and Jerry on syndicated television. Better drawn than 99% of video games ever made, so...

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Toon Link is charming as fuck as was the art style. Never understood the hate. Those who prefer Twilight over Windwaker due to aesthetic always strike me as somewhat edgy (not pointing fingers to those here) since you will often hear complaints shortly after they say Windwaker is too cartoony about how realistic and dark Twilight is. Problem is like others have said the graphics didn't hold up. Twilight is one of the ugliest looking games in the series due to those muddled colors. Should have fixed it in the HD release imo. They did a better job updating Ocarina and Majora than they did Twilight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom