Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Taking a "screenshot" with my phone does p. good anti-aliasing. Also, Rito pls.

2017-03-05%2016.47.56.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Don't open if you want to find this surprise ingame.
Last chance.
Dragon confirmed
WFhts-AJSN2FZb5w_pGiaGaYDBsq341PCgMcBHJHax0.jpg

KSVyto1.jpg

This guy went over the edge of a very high bridge, and the passing NPC noticed it and told him this.

xBg4fsPziQIvgYFpOQzT2OZK-SVXS6-GlOw4_DNULag.jpg

Keldryn

Arcane
Also metal weapons/armor will scrape on the ground when you're crouched and sneaking, making more noise. Heavy rainfall, however, helps mask the sound of your footsteps.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Also fighting on a slope might result on you getting knocked down and ragdolling for a while :M

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nintendo rarely is a pioneer of technology or gameplay ideas. But it certainly conveys successful implementations of those ideas in its games, and as result, Nintendo ends up influencing the entire industry.

Certainly, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time isn't the first 3D adventure game with dungeon exploration and third person camera. But it showed the way to go to a lot of developers in regards of making 3rd Person action games. For example; the so called "Z targeting" mechanics from Zelda OoT is a simple yet effective way to smoothly lock-on targets when using a game controller. This groundbreaking idea was implemented in an almost identical manner on games like Grand Theft auto.

Anyway, the proper use of Z targeting is extensively introduced while exploring "Inside the Deku Tree" dungeon (killing wall skultulas, autolocking deku scrubs in order to block with shield and bounce their projectiles back to them); before that, you only have a set of minor tutorials that you can follow around kokiri forest if you like, in fact, the entire village serves as proving grounds to grow accustomed of the game controller before taking your first real challenge inside the Great deku tree.

Therefore, making a judgement after only 10 minutes of play-through is beyond retarded (either that or your autistic obsession with proving a point about zelda games being overrated dimmed your judgement). You didn't even finish the first dungeon.

Also metal weapons/armor will scrape on the ground when you're crouched and sneaking, making more noise. Heavy rainfall, however, helps mask the sound of your footsteps.
Whoa, that's quite interesting. Using weather as a situational advantage.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've already completed three big dungeons, 20 santuaries and climbed all the 13 towers. For those who are scared about this Assasins creed/farcry mecanic: Only 2 or 3 towers can be climbed directly. The rest always have any challenge besides the climbing itself (Surrounded by enemies, with ice, etc).

I don't like number rating in videogames, but I'm understanding why this game got 10/10 everywere. It's so polished in all its mechanics. The only bad thing I can tell is about the big dungeons design: They are short and small, but very good in design. Like stone tower temple from Majora's mask, they are very dinamic. The bad thing about them is that I want more of them, and I want them more large and big, fuck.

PD: Master sword it's not in the main story. You must find it by yourself. :incline:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
EMULATED!!!

These guys work fast. Give 1 more week, 1 month max, and we'll have the game runing stabely and without any problems.

Video was recorded on following specs: i7-4790K, GTX 780, 8GB RAM. I choose to not alter the speed of the video to best represent how it actually runs. But I did prepare a shader cache so there is no extra suttering. Audio is muted because it is just white noise.

Lots of bugs that make the game unplayable. Physic glitches, rune abilities that require object selection don't work, no water collision, etc. Essentially it's impossible to leave the tutorial area without using a save.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Run for 5 minutes to a tower that's on a high cliff/fortifications and the weather bar shows thunderstorm > rain > rain :negative: Rain makes surfaces wet thus climbing is practically impossibru.

Last edited:
Yeah, this game is full of those little details. If it's raining, you'll keep sliding down if you try to climb up rock faces. Rain also puts out torches and campfires; I found one campfire that has a shelter built over top of it. You can chop trees down and they will inflict a lot of damage if they fall on a monster. If you fire arrows and miss, uou can usually pick them up again. You can burn more than just grass; many wooden items will burn as well (not houses obviously). Early in the game, I used the magnetic rune to pull a metal chest out of the water -- you can also use it to pick up metal weapons and attack enemies with floating weapons. Your horse can't go inside buildings, but instead of just running into an invisible wall, the horse slowly turns away as you approach the entryway.

There's probably too many little interactions to even name. It's been a fun to try and come to grips with all the systems. I used to start fires by wasting fire arrows. Now I've moved onto blowing up trees with bombs to get firewood and then exploding some red chu gel to burn the sticks. I still haven't figured out how to start a fire with flint, but it doesn't even matter. Neat little touches every time you turn around. The way that you have to consider the weather, temperature and environment when getting around or dealing with encounters is really great. Collecting bugs, picking herbs and cooking are pretty fun probably because of the environment they're in. I spent 20 minutes trying to knock a mushroom off a rainy cliffside with a throwing spear for some reason.

It's hands-down one of the most enjoyable open-worlds I've ever dicked around with. Feels like there's secrets around every nook and cranny and the world is uniquely fun to navigate:
uT0oPuA.jpg

mgiQ5bB.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. I don't remember which shrine, but all of them seem to have a secret chest that can have some good stuff.

Getting the bandana inspired me to go hunting for shrines in more dangerous areas, where most things can easily 1-shot me. Nothing mind-blowing so far, but I've pilfered some nice weapons and shields from some of the scarier ones.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Any good store where I can buy a Wii U for cheap?

On an unrelated note, can I hook up a Wii U to my laptop screen?

Keldryn

Arcane
Yup. I don't remember which shrine, but all of them seem to have a secret chest that can have some good stuff.

Getting the bandana inspired me to go hunting for shrines in more dangerous areas, where most things can easily 1-shot me. Nothing mind-blowing so far, but I've pilfered some nice weapons and shields from some of the scarier ones.

Yeah, I found a sword with attack strength 50 in one shrine in a dangerous area.

Any good store where I can buy a Wii U for cheap?

On an unrelated note, can I hook up a Wii U to my laptop screen?

I got a refurbished Wii U directly from Nintendo back in 2014 for a reasonable price ($200 CAD), so that's one place to try. Or try eBay.

The only output on the Wii U is an HDMI port, so you can hook it up to anything which supports that.

I really like how you can't
pull the Master Sword without enough hearts. Same as it was in Zelda 1. I stumbled on the sword early, I think, but once I ended up in the Lost Woods it's not like I was going to turn around! I'm hoping sure you can use some of foods that give temporary maximum hearts to pull it, but I don't want to waste the ingredients unnecessarily.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I got a refurbished Wii U directly from Nintendo back in 2014 for a reasonable price ($200 CAD), so that's one place to try. Or try eBay.
Interesting... the question is - should I pay $260 jut to play Breast of the Wild?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's actually really good. It does things no other open world game has done right. This isn't like when people were saying "THE LAST OF US IS GODS GIFT TO GAMING" this is actually a solid 10 out of 10 game. The only downside is the platform which emulators will fix.

Keldryn

Arcane
Interesting... the question is - should I pay $260 jut to play Breast of the Wild?

I think it's worth it... But you're talking to someone who bought an N64 ($180 CAD in 1998) just to play Ocarina of Time. Never bought any other N64 games and still felt it was worth it. My girlfriend at the time just didn't get it.

Doesn't always work out though. When Ultima IX came out, my Matrox G200 couldn't run it at more than about 8 fps, so I bought a Voodoo 3 card to play it. Totally not worth it.

With the Wii U, you've also got the HD remasters of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pikmin 3, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and The Wonderful 101. Yoshi's Woolly World is also fun if you can handle the cutsy (but very well done) aesthetic. Or if you have kids. Deus Ex Human Revolution (DC) makes good use of the 2nd screen, although probably not worth it if you've played it on other platforms. So there are a number of very good games on the system. Plus it plays all Wii games as well (not an important factor if you already have one).

Poor Wii U. It deserved a better fate.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If you don't like the genre nothing will convince you, but it is worth playing. It does what all the fanboys claim Skyrim does so well. It blows that game out of the fucking water. The Wii U offers experiences you can't get on other systems. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are crazy fun if you aren't turned off by cutesy shit. I would not buy a Switch right now, but getting a refurbished Wii U is a good idea if you like to play older consoles. I know I'm looking to buy another Dreamcast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom