Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Keldryn

Arcane
Played for about three hours tonight. Did a fair bit of exploring and got to the point where I can now leave the Great Plateau (but ended there for the night).

So far: This game is incredible. I should have turned it off an hour earlier but I couldn't tear myself away from it. I love the verticality of the environments; it really makes it feel like you can truly go anywhere if you can just plan the right approach (without depleting your stamina meter). Link is pretty fragile, so it pays to be smart about combat. Sneaking up on enemies and backstabbing them is fun. Using the magnet rune to drop metal crates on sleeping bokobins is also a lot of fun.

If the game becomes too repetitive or feels empty and pointless, then my option will certainly change. But so far... Fantastic.

Deleted member 7219

I haven't played it, obviously.

But it sounds to me like this game is getting perfect scores because it is the first Nintendo game to do what other games have been doing for years.

I think the mainstream games media always weigh Nintendo games with a couple of extra points on every review they give them.

Being able to climb is novel, I'll admit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played it, obviously.

But it sounds to me like this game is getting perfect scores because it is the first Nintendo game to do what other games have been doing for years.

I think the mainstream games media always weigh Nintendo games with a couple of extra points on every review they give them.

Being able to climb is novel, I'll admit.
That's the reason I don't like Nintendo in general. They are always considered as a special snowflake. The mainstream media is gushing over the Switch starting from the release, but all I see is another Wii-U, just with a different kind of gimmick.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Son, if you wander off in the wrong direction early on... you're gonna have a bad time.

I managed to make it to Ganon but I broke all my weapons and then died in one hit, lulz

Deleted member 7219

I don't have a problem with games with weapon durability, provided that the "special" weapons have extremely high durability or, better yet, invincible durability.

Otherwise you won't want to use them for anything except bosses, which means you're carrying around The Sword of a Thousand Truths only to use it once or twice in the entire game, which doesn't make sense.

Imagine if, in The Lord of the Rings, Aragorn had to keep swapping between using a stick to fight normal orcs/goblins, and only used Andúril for the biggest of the uruk hai. It would have been ridiculous.

Ash

Arcane
Durability acts as ammo for melee games. Adds additional strategy and enforces full use of your arsenal. Not all games should have it, but I wish more would (where suitable).
As for discouraging use of "special" weapons, ideally there wouldn't be special OP weapons, or if there are you can still repair them outside of combat providing you have the materials.

So this game has wep durability? Nice.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't have a problem with games with weapon durability, provided that the "special" weapons have extremely high durability or, better yet, invincible durability.

Otherwise you won't want to use them for anything except bosses, which means you're carrying around The Sword of a Thousand Truths only to use it once or twice in the entire game, which doesn't make sense.

Reviewers are saying that you are constantly finding better and better items as you progress. If true, that means saving the best weapon currently at your disposal for some possible future hard encounter isn't advisable, since their damage output will become redundant at that point in time/game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I hope an item like the Master Sword has invencible durability.

If a game developer gives the player an item that is suposed to be unique, then it should really feel like a special thing. And unfortunately most developers nowadays always nerf that item as a sort of way to "balance it". They seem to forget that this is still a game for the players to have fun. Besides if they want to make it less OP, than make the damn thing more difficult to find/obtain or make a catch to use it, like a double edged sword:

Thor's hammer - A mighty unbreakable hammer, that can shoot powerful thunders from it. However those thunders stun the user after cast.

Blood Katana - A blade that can cut trough everything (except metal), but is required to be soaked in the players fresh blood in order to do so.

Demon Club - A large, heavy club that smashes any living being to a pulp. Requires a special pair of gloves to be wielded and tires it's wielder rather quickly.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I know that balance is important for a game to be playable.

What I was saying is that most game developers nowadays are either:

"BALANCED" = no fun :littlemissfun:

or

Imbalanced = unplayable

And both of them don't know what actual balance in a game is.

Besides, if the player already has the Super Kami MumboJumbo Sword of Astral Incline, than he already is in a point of the game were he's suposed to know how to easly deal with a trash mob with any weapon. As well as having the stats/skills required to use it efficently and without the items downsides affect him with many repercussions (if it has any). And of course that super strong item, has to be something that was equally hard to acquaire, and still be weak enough so that the game's strongest opponents present a challenge.

Now in most fantasy themed games today, you have 100 swords all of then with little to no difference between the previous and next ones. Were the supposedly strongest weapons of the game feels as useful as a wooden stick with a nail on the top.

JBro

Arbiter
You guys sure are bitchy. Just wait until you're dying in one hit over and over.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
C6Fg848WUAAOpFg.jpg

Full berserk

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It's so good men :bounce: After all those ubishit open world copypastas there's still hope for open world games.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's not so different from most open world action games. A few gimmicks, but nothing special.

JBro

Arbiter
I'm trying to figure out how to get to the gorons without having to run around constantly on fire.

Ivan

Arcane
for those who've played it, does it feel like Gothic? are you on a leash? can you get fucked up if you go the "wrong" way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom