Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I really enjoy these moments in Cold Steel 1/2, having played Zero/Azure before this (I defeated her just the same way also back in Azure, by spamming 200 power S-Crafts with everyone having +50 STR buff!!)

blSpye4.png

bYy39Xu.png
notice how nobody calls her adorable anymore in the new engine

Vagiel

Augur
Just finished cold steel 4 and i need to write! Damn it was a journey... i have been playing one title every summer for the past ten years damn and this really felt like the end of journey. Last dungeon was around 15 hours! Everyone appeared, everyone had a line and the supernatural stuff at least were resolved.

All is not perfect, the struggle of the series to save everyone weakens things a bit since you already have a balloned, well zeppelined, cast so you can afford some sacrifices to give some weight to the events.

But the one thing that robbed the events from their agency was on the gameplay front. Cold steel was the easiest trails game i have played even on nightmare so i autopilot even the last battle leaving me less engaged than i should.

All in all i am satisfied though, there really is nothing like this series out there apart from books or tv series. I honestly respect the company for keeping with their vision for so many years continuing the story for so long, not compromising with soft resets and attracting new customers, which would be understandable, i might have wanted some things different or some events resolving in another way but I don't want to be greedy.

To anyone thinking of taking the plunge, yes start at the beginning and go through the games in a slow pace. It's worth it.

frajaq

Erudite
Okay that final final dungeon + boss wasnt that bad after all, just finished Cold Steel 2, I had a great time on it (but wasnt a fan of some of the mech battles)

even if some of the parts of Act 1 and 2 felt weak, the overall ending/climax was great plus the brief Crossbell stuff at the end

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Millium starts with 1488 health points in CS3, what did Falcom mean by this?

You can send a tank deep into the pack of enemies and most of them will attack him if the rest of your team is further away, or break and kill enemies before they hit you (break is only useful in CS3 and was nerfed into the ground after that so abuse while you can!), or raise your speed and crit rate so you can proc more link attacks to build BP and spam Ebon Crest.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Break nerf in CS4 was entirely justified, you could completely lock ennemies without even trying in CS3. It's still somewhat useful to give you a bit of free BP and shutting down enhanced ennemies, trough you generally still have to tank one or two round of enhanced.

frajaq

Erudite
Millium starts with 1488 health points in CS3, what did Falcom mean by this?

You can send a tank deep into the pack of enemies and most of them will attack him if the rest of your team is further away, or break and kill enemies before they hit you (break is only useful in CS3 and was nerfed into the ground after that so abuse while you can!), or raise your speed and crit rate so you can proc more link attacks to build BP and spam Ebon Crest.
these two Einhel Keep bosses early on are really drilling how important saving for Brave Orders is, I underestimated them on Hard and they hit really fucking hard

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Damage-reducing Brave Orders are basically a sanctioned cheat in CS3, like every tough battle suddenly becomes a manageable one with Rean's Iron Will which gives you -50% damage taken. On the other hand the game would be practically unplayable on Nightmare without them.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, unless you start relying on cheese like infinite turn, there is bunch of stuff that is going to hit too hard and fast to be tanked without defensive BO, though they are a bit too powerful. Millium's one is especially absurd.

Jinn

Arcane
You will notice enhancements across the board in CS3. It's pretty ridiculous, but I guess they're all still growing women.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The secret is actually Acerbic Tomato Shakes (canon), Towa just didn't have enough.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished Kuro 2.

Translation was good but sadly the game is bad. I had high hopes for it since I liked Kuro 1 more than any CS game.

Some random thoughts:

Good:
  • Difficulty was harder than Kuro 1 I had to try some fights couple of times (compared to Kuro 1 where I did not die even once)
  • Cast / battle system / orbment system are solid

Bad:

• Story / writing is trash and most people are acting retarded for no reason at all. You fight against your closest allies for no reason. Overall trails story progression is non-existent in kuro 2.
  • Same locations / bosses as in Kuro 1 kinda tired to fight same ppl 5 times
  • Party starts level 10 which should be the lowest for any sequel. Then some stronger characters such as Zin /
    Walter
    are level 27 :lol:
  • In kuro 1 people actually die but Kuro 2 goes back to older games style where no1 dies. When some1 dies you time travel back until you get happy ending this gets boring after 26th time
  • Swin is retarded destroys whole world because he meets his brother who he knew was dead and surprisingly it was not his brother after all. BuT My AtoneMeNt must obey fake brother
  • Randomly generated dungeons + skill upgrade grinding via loot boxes, just awful
  • Mini games are tedious and the worst fishing system so far
  • Quest are mediocre not many memorable ones

Overall score:
cs-tier / 10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom