Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Express

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I shared LC’s experience. The game is one I’ve always wanted to love—there are so many reasons I should—but no matter what age I tried playing it, I always bounced off. I think it is precisely because I didn’t know what my goals were and I had a sense that my ignorance was leading to my missing content and playing in a suboptimal way. I’d describe it as waking up in the middle of a body of water where I couldn’t see any shore: I knew I had to swim somewhere or drown, but had no idea which way to swim.

Lemming42

Arcane
The setup of The Last Express is an intriguing movie. I would watch that movie. But as a game it fails to provide basic context to the player _as a player_.

A mysterious protagonist would be fine, if you knew at least how to play. The story is the centerpiece here, and it is what informs the player of their capacities and roles, but it seems to be the equivalent of a 3rd person shooter set in a grassy meadow full of invisible walls; pick a direction and when you bump into something turn and try something else.

You do have some goals, though. As you probably know, the plot will advance regardless of your participation in it, so you can hide in your cabin for the whole journey if you want (though I think this gets a game over during the first day when cops board the train to find you). Remember also that you can wind back time at any point, so don't be afraid to fuck around and see what happens.

You want to investigate Tyler's death, since he's your pal, so here's what you know:
- You have to blend in as Tyler Whitney, or you'll be caught by the police. This means that whatever he was planning to do on the train, you'll have to do instead.

- You probably already know, since you can't miss it, that Tyler set up a meeting with a German arms merchant. Meet with him and see if you can find out more about what Tyler was trying to do on the train.

- You've got a scroll in Russian. Unless you can read Russian for real, you don't know what this says. There are Russian-speaking people on the train who could translate it for you.

- The golden egg could have something to do with Tyler's apparent murder. Is anyone else on the train looking for it, trying to steal it? Was Tyler planning to sell it?

- Tyler was on the train for a while before you arrived. He may have met with several people during this time, and if so, those people would immediately see through your disguise and know that you're not Tyler Whitney (spoiler: there are indeed several people who met with Tyler before you arrived, and recognise you as an impostor). If you can find those people, they can tell you more about what Tyler was doing.

- Cath can understand several languages, and thus the game gives you subtitles for NPCs having foreign-language conversations. If you hang around, you can eavesdrop on people. Everyone on the train is up to something, and some of their plans tie in to Tyler's.

The game does have a couple of bullshit parts (the most obtuse and annoying being that you have to capture a beetle in a matchbox and give it to a small child in order to receive an absolutely plot-critical item), but for the most part, the game is pretty intuitive as long as you just keep in mind that you've got to pretend to be Tyler, and you've got to avoid revealing your real identity.

Neuromancer

Augur
I shared LC’s experience. The game is one I’ve always wanted to love—there are so many reasons I should—but no matter what age I tried playing it, I always bounced off. I think it is precisely because I didn’t know what my goals were and I had a sense that my ignorance was leading to my missing content and playing in a suboptimal way. I’d describe it as waking up in the middle of a body of water where I couldn’t see any shore: I knew I had to swim somewhere or drown, but had no idea which way to swim.
I have exactly the same feeling.
There are so many good things about this game: the setting, the atmosphere, the mystery, the real history background, the characters, the different languages...

And I tried several times to get into it, but couldn't continue after a while.

1) The graphics are one thing (although not the important one).
For one, I found the mixture between the prerendered train wagons and the cartoon characters a little bit off-putting.
Also strange are the animation differences: sometimes they are completely fluid (e.g. when the conductor passes by), sometimes they only show a staccato slideshow of single animation frames.

2) But the main thing that stopped me from playing is the stupid (partially) real time mechanism.

You never know, if, when or what you are missing or where you have to go.
Sometimes you also just have to wait for things to happen.
And to be at the right moment at the right time is sometimes just related to luck.

So the game goes from stressful situations where some things happen (almost) at the same time to tedious waiting sections.
And yes, you can rewind time, but also only to specific moments (as far as I remember). And I don't like to repeat things again and again only to be lucky to find some other scenario by chance.

When I play an adventure game, I like to explore the scenery and listen to dialogue and perform actions in my own time and one after another - without the possibility to miss something.
That might be less realistic - but then again: What game really is?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll be completely honest, I just settled for using a walkthrough and just enjoying it as an interactive movie. So I won't throw stones at people for criticising the "What the hell am I supposed to be doing here?" aspect. Especially at the beginning, for example, you have no way of knowing when to dump Tyler's body, since the game doesn't communicate in any way whether the train is going through a densely populated area right now. You could charitably say that you should not dump it early because you're still in the vicinity of Paris, but that's about it. It's not like outside of Paris everything is an empty desert.

Still I think you guys are overdoing it. A lot of what's going on is in fact communicated to you, for instance by Tyler's telegram that you have with you, and the one from you that's in Tyler's baggage. This is definitely a game that requires you to pay attention more than most. You can't play this shit on autopilot unless you're replaying it or something. I think it's made pretty clear that A) Tyler was your buddy and B) you're on the run, and that's why you're on the train and you can't just get out at the next station. I guess it's always the case with games like this: some people just go with it, others can't get over it.

LudensCogitet

Learned
I don't want to play it on autopilot. In fact, I'm kind of complaining that the game requires that I do so. My issue is that the game intentionally leaves so much ambiguous for the sake of drama that I have to proceed merely by guessing.

I hadn't looked at my inventory, or read the introduction in the manual when I started playing. If I had, I might have leaned toward believing Cath was on the run, etc. As it stood, my very first reaction to seeing Tyler dead was going to tell someone he'd been murdered. This is straight up not an option. Maybe I could have guessed why if I'd looked in my inventory and read the telegram and the news clipping. But, here's the thing, Cath already knows what is in his pockets and why he won't tell anyone that Tyler is dead. He knows, but I don't. So I can't take an action for my character because my character disagrees with it, but he won't tell me why.

Same with throwing Tyler out the window, putting on his jacket and impersonating him, talking to the German about purchasing the mystery thing, etc.

Ostensibly I am playing as Cath and exploring the game world, actually I am poking the game until Cath does something. It caused a complete disengagement from the game.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah that's true, the game doesn't really have choices and consequences, except for choices that lead to early game overs. Although I think this kind of comes with the territory considering that there are no dialogue trees or anything like that. But yes the jist of it is that the police are looking for a man of your description who is suspected of involvement in a murder of a British policeman and fleeing to France, so then it stands to reason that going to the authorities is not an option when a murder has been committed. You're not entering the train by motorcycle-jump just for the fun of it.

Supposedly the Steam, Android and iOS versions now have a hints system. Although I'm not always a fan of them, I think this game could use it to push the player in the right direction instead of immediately consulting a walkthrough and railroading (see what I did there?) everything. Because there are some more egregious things later on in the game, like how you're supposed to steal the gold during the concert and then walk straight through the concert with the briefcase in your hands. That one pissed me off.

I still love this game but it's partly because of the atmosphere and the multiple layers. Like how there are some languages your character doesn't understand, so unless you yourself speak them, you'll never know some of the dialogue, although it can be found online now. All the stuff you can spy on, like watching Alexey preparing his big surprise, reading the English girl's diary, reading Schmidt's, Kronos's and Anna's letters, and so on. And just the infuriating fact that there's some things you'll never know because they were left for a sequel that never came.

I also found "that" scene on YouTube in some other languages, pretty funny:

Tigranes

Arcane
Like wwsd, I don't entirely disagree - it was just one of those games where there was so much delightful atmosphere and mystery that I accepted that the game wanted me to play it in a somewhat different way. I didn't mind that there weren't very clear, measurable/consistent mechanisms for success, because the net result was that it was giving me a world that seemed to make sense for me at the level of character motivation or the general milieu. I'm not super sure there's a huge problem with the character/player disjuncture - there's often way too strict a demand that that stuff is completely rationalised. The game is ultimately more about navigating a particular experience of a moment in time rather than giving you a rules-bound box in which you can 'control' inputs and outputs.

Jigby

Augur
Whatever it is that you do, avoid the DotEmu ehm "gold version" remake that's on steam. Avoid it like...

Play the original.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
It really is an amazing, one-of-a-kind adventure game. Too bad it seems like Paul Verhoeven's film adaptation isn't happening after all. Ten years since I saw the news about it.

Mechner said in some interview that they tried to shop the project for a good while, but couldn't get financing for the movie. Either Verhoeven or Brian De Palma in his prime would have been perfect, beside someone like Hitchcock, to direct The Last Express movie.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Whatever it is that you do, avoid the DotEmu ehm "gold version" remake that's on steam. Avoid it like...

Play the original.
This game caught my interest and I want to give it a try, the only thing I have to decide now is which version to buy. Are there any legit arguments against the gold edition that's on Steam or is it a nostalgia thing?

Jigby

Augur

Play the original.
This game caught my interest and I want to give it a try, the only thing I have to decide now is which version to buy. Are there any legit arguments against the gold edition that's on Steam or is it a nostalgia thing?
The game is all about verisimilitude and imperfect information and the gold version adds newfangled nonsense like hotspot highlighters and other UI changes. I mean, the last time I tried it was ~8 years ago (or whenever it came out), but I still remember the highlighters. The sense of imperfect information is important here, you don't know, if you've missed something because of the passage of time, you don't know if you've missed something because of quick superficial explo etc... The new interface kills a lot of that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Digital Antiquarian has written an article about The Last Express:

JimmyMaher said:
But a train would still be the centerpiece of the game. And they knew which train it would have to be: the legendary Orient Express, which left Paris to begin the three-day journey to Constantinople for the last time in a long time on the evening of July 24, 1914. While it was underway, the Austro-Hungarian ultimatum to Serbia expired, and Europe started the final plunge down the slippery slope to war. Mechner:
Needless to say, Mechner and Pierce were not envisioning another cinematic platformer like Prince of Persia. They rather wanted to make a full-fledged adventure game, with a complex story line that did not have to take its cues from the silent movies of yesteryear, as had been the case with Mechner’s previous masterstroke. This was despite — or rather in some ways because of — the fact that Mechner was no fan of adventure games as they were currently implemented, with their fixed plots gated by mostly arbitrary puzzles. He was sure he could do better.
In lieu of the Miller brothers, Mechner wound up hiring his own team of 3D modellers and programmers to bring the Orient Express to life. The watchword remained authenticity, down to the literal last screw. The textures in the carriages were pulled directly from photographs of the cars in Paris, Budapest, and most of all Athens: “green velvet upholstered benches, stamped-leather wall panels, flowered ceilings and brass rails. The train that appears onscreen in The Last Express hasn’t been seen in 80 years,” wrote Tomi Pierce.

Indeed, the game has almost a unique claim to historical authenticity. The wargames that the grognards love may wish to think of themselves as infallible “simulations” of events in time, but their what-if scenarios hinge on their designers’ own all-too-fallible interpretations of the events they purport to simulate. The recreated interior of the Orient Express, however, is dependent on no one’s interpretation. It’s simply a copy of the real thing, implemented as meticulously as the technology of the 1990s would allow by people with no allegiance to anything but the truth of their cameras and measuring tapes.

But of course, there had to be more to the game than its environment. The recreated Orient Express was to be the stage for a work of historical fiction, a complicated caper taking place on the train’s last voyage before the Belle Époque ran out, Europe descended into four and a half years of war, and a new twentieth century full of unprecedented wonders and horrors got going for real.
In this iteration on the template, you play Robert Cath, a debonair American doctor who boards the Orient Express in rather… unusual fashion just as it’s pulling out of Paris. He’s responding to a summons from an old friend, a fellow American named Tyler Whitney, whom he now finds dead in their shared compartment, apparently the victim of cold-blooded murder. Cath dares not draw attention to himself because he is sought by the police for some antics he may or may not have gotten up to recently with some Irish terrorists/freedom fighters, so he disposes of the body and assumes his friend’s identity, as you do in such situations. Soon he finds that Tyler, a heedless idealist of the sort that tends to cause an awful lot of trouble in the world, was up to his eyebrows in a complicated conspiracy to sell arms to Serbia’s Black Hand, the terrorist group responsible for the recent assassination of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand, an act destined to go down in history as the spark that ignited a world war. And then there’s the strange Russian artifact known as the Firebird that’s been stolen out of his friend’s luggage…
Count Jordan Mechner and Tomi Pierce among this group. While they couldn’t make their game run in literal real time — it would have been impossible to implement that much content, and quite probably deadly boring for the people who experienced it — they did want it to run in an accelerated version of same, such that the three-day trip to Constantinople would take about five hours of playing time. The other passengers and crew on the Orient Express would move about and pursue their own agendas during those hours, even as the train itself chugged relentlessly onward. All of this would happen no matter what Robert Cath chose to do with himself.
Smoking Car would also eliminate the artificial set-piece puzzles that were the typical adventure game’s bread and butter, offering up strictly situational challenges instead that were inseparable from the story: hiding Tyler’s body in your cabin, hiding from the police, figuring out just why that beautiful and famous Austrian concert violinist seems to want to kill you. Needless to say, alternative solutions would abound.
Does the finished game live up to this billing? Not entirely, I must say. The fact is that there are dead ends in The Last Express — how could there not be with such an approach? — and the auto-rewind function, useful though it is, can still leave you replaying substantial chunks of the game, hoping to find a way to progress past the stumbling block this time around. In short, and in direct contradiction to Mechner’s statement above, there are “vital clues” which you can and probably will be “punished” for missing.

In the end, then, I have mixed feelings on this idea of clock time with rewind. I fear that Smoking Car may have violated one of Sid Meier’s principles of game design: that it’s the player who should be the one having the fun, not the programmer or designer. Yes, it’s neat to think about 30 different characters moving about the train pursuing their own agendas, and it was surely exciting to implement and finally see in action. But how much does it really add to the ordinary player’s experience? Ironically given its formal ambitions in other respects, The Last Express has just one story to tell at the end of the day; there’s only one “winning” ending to contrast with the eleven losing ones where Robert Cath doesn’t complete the trip to Constantinople for one reason or another. Would a cleverly designed plot-time structure have been so bad after all? It would definitely have been easier to implement, shaving some time and some dollars out of an extended and expensive development cycle.

But, lest I sound too harsh, let me also say that experiments like this one are necessary to tell us where the limits of fun and frustration lie. If The Last Express proved a road not taken by later adventure designers for a reason, that makes it only all the more valuable a case study to have had to hand.
Brøderbund sent The Last Express out the door with a $1 million marketing budget, even managed to secure a four-page feature on its making in, of all places, Newsweek magazine — hardly an obvious outlet, but emblematic of everyone’s hopes that this interactive story could generate interest well beyond the usual gaming circles. (The article, from which I’ve quoted liberally here, was written by Tomi Pierce.) And then… crickets. The Last Express flopped like a pancake on a cold linoleum floor.
There is nothing trite about the thoughts and feelings The Last Express will stir up in you if you meet it with an open mind. More than just a labor of love, it’s a true work of interactive art as well as an evocative work of history, a long-vanished world brought to life just as it was the instant before it passed away.
6849379-the-last-express-dos-front-cover.jpg

athens.jpg
3d.jpg
final.jpg

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the few adventure games I really enjoyed. I guess a lot of people wandered around in a daze, I felt like I had agency. Keep it in mind that there's a grace period when turning back time before it becomes permanent.

Best ending is Cath walking off with the suitcase.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik

Play the original.

I saw in the reviews that they apparently removed some sound effects for some reason, and the UI is overbearing, and they dumbed down a few other things too. I haven't been able to confirm this myself, but if true, that's a shame. Why not just have the game as it is, but with the possibility of asking for a hint if you need one? Since the game is not always very intuitive and it's not always clear what you're "supposed" to do to avoid a fail state, seeking help would be perfectly acceptable in this case. Maybe better to just play the original and consult a walkthrough if needed. Although I think the performance on modern OS is a bit spotty.

:Flash:

Arcane
The German podcast stay forever has a good (english language) interview with Mechner about the game:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course, if this game was done today there would be 3 lezzie couples, 2 gay couples and all the research would have gone into how misogynistic everyone was and Cath would have had a secret relationship with Tyler.

I guess we should be grateful for what we have because it's only going to get worse.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Jordan Mechner himself comments under the Digital Antiquarian's article:
JordanMechner said:
I enjoyed this article and am sure other former Smoking Car team members will, too. Great job! A few minor details maybe worth correcting:

Tomi didn’t work for Broderbund, she was a free agent (other than a short stint running Broderbund’s French office circa 1990). She co-founded Sensei Software circa 1984, whose educational products were published by Broderbund as an affiliated label.

It wasn’t Tomi but Patrick Ladislav with me in the Athens train yard and other early European research. The details of who did what when are (somewhat) clarified by my 1993 journals, available at https://www.jordanmechner.com/en/library/1993-journals/ (an ongoing feature on my website, with a new batch of entries added every Wednesday).

Myst was developed by the Miller brothers at Cyan as an outside product; it wasn’t part of any Broderbund plan. At that time, Broderbund’s focus and direction was towards educational and productivity software, moving away from the games business. They certainly had no expectation Myst was going to become a hit in 1993. Its massive success took them by surprise. Once it became a breakout smash, they quickly reconfigured to ride that horse for all it was worth.

Highly unlikely that Last Express ever had a $1M marketing budget. Not sure where that number came from, but it sounds like it might be an estimate of Broderbund’s total investment in The Last Express, including royalty advances and their contribution to production costs. The launch marketing campaign was almost nonexistent, for various reasons, including personnel changes and restructuring around Broderbund’s merger with The Learning Company. A big factor was that Last Express had already blown its schedule twice. From Broderbund’s point of view, missing Christmas 1996 was the final straw. By the time the game was ready to ship in April 1997, people who had believed in and backed the product internally were no longer with the company. Last Express didn’t fit with the current strategy; Broderbund did not expect it to sell well. For understandable reasons, they’d essentially written it off and moved on. There’s a longer story to be told there and your article already has a very ambitious scope, but I think that point is worth clarifying.

The Newsweek article and other PR around Last Express release was the result of guerrilla marketing by Smoking Car and friends, not Broderbund. Tomi did more than just write the article, she pitched it to Newsweek in the first place.

Thanks for writing this article! I’m impressed by the amount of information you were able to assimilate from existing sources, and very glad that Last Express continues to live on. For those interested, here’s a link to my own Last Express page. Along with the weekly addition to the 30-years-ago journal, I occasionally add new commentary or behind-the-scenes materials from the archives: https://www.jordanmechner.com/en/games-movies/the-last-express/

Jimmy Maher's response:
DigitalAntiquarian said:
Thanks for commenting, Jordan, and thanks for the game! I’ll have another look at the parts of the article you mention. (In particular, the paragraph on Doug Carlston and Myst was indeed too speculative and generally ill-advised.)
That said:
The $1 million marketing figure actually comes from your own emails to and from Broderbund, which are included in the archive you donated to the Strong Museum of Play. Your email dated July 7, 1997 — the same one quoted from at some length in the article — has a section headline of “Why consumer awareness is low despite a $1 million launch.” It goes on to elaborate on “a large sell-in backed by an estimated $1 million in marketing support…”
As I noted in the article proper, I’m also a little confused by this idea that Broderbund’s merger with The Learning Company was somehow a factor in The Last Express’s failure. The Last Express was finished in February of 1997; the merger you mention occurred in June of 1998, long after the game had been left for dead.

Also a comment from Mark Netter, the producer of The Last Express:
MarkNetter said:
Outstanding article on a project that remains a point of pride for all of us who worked on it. Great research and so gratifying to see you celebrating all the amazing work – and ideas – that Jordan, Tomi and the rest of the sprawling team put into it.

We did a one-day test shoot, an 18-day main shoot, and another day of train miniatures, along with three years of programming and design. Our Art Director, Nicki Tostevin, had worked on Prince of Persia with Jordan, and led the art team that digitally painted every frame with tools invented by the programming team. And we got an exceptional score from Czech-emigre Elia Cmiral, who understood the European thing.

Our offices where two floors above a high-end antiques shop in Jackson Square, one of the oldest parts of San Francisco. It wasn’t lost on us – the perfect setting for making an Art Nouveau computer game taking place in 1914.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom