Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics The Lamplighters League - turn-based tactics in pulp 1930s setting from Harebrained Schemes

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
nobody actually likes harebrained as a developer, right? people played the new shadowruns because they're fans of the license. how hard could it possibly be to make an isometric turn-based rpg? ubisoft could have made dragonfall and the only difference would be some dumb assassin's creed hoodie DLC

Lot of people here actually thought Shadowrun (esp. Dragonfall) was a fantastic, accomplished, high quality RPG, which just goes to show that sometimes you can just tick all the boxes 7/10 and make people think it's a Godard. That said, I'm glad they're still around and putting out what could be a really fun game.
Dragonfall was right game at the right time.
During era of 3's, a 7 reigns supreme.

Yeah I agree, the Shadowrun games were okay, but really the best thing about them was the way the story was well told and well written - i.e. basically everything that right-hand panel. I guess some of the encounters were well-made, and the music was great too. Everything else was pretty mediocre. I don't think I even thought much about builds, it was all so simplistic, so long as you didn't waste points it was fine.

As for Battletech - I'm not sure I would call that a sterling success either really. I've never been able to finish the game, despite three attempts. I want to like it, but my interest wanes after half a dozen missions or so.
HBS games all feel like phone games but really long and on your PC to me. They were decent when there was no competition, but they're basically impossible to play now with actually good games coming out.

mediocrepoet

Patron
but they're basically impossible to play now with actually good games coming out.
List please.
I'd play Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous over HBS games any day.

If you're more into the tactical side of them, then games like Troubleshooter and King Arthur: Knight's Tale are good. There are others.

Finally, if you just wanted to read the visual novel provided by the HBS Shadowrun games, I recommend you hang yourself, storyfag.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
but they're basically impossible to play now with actually good games coming out.
List please.
I'd play Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous over HBS games any day.

If you're more into the tactical side of them, then games like Troubleshooter and King Arthur: Knight's Tale are good. There are others.

Finally, if you just wanted to read the visual novel provided by the HBS Shadowrun games, I recommend you hang yourself, storyfag.

The simplicity and the focus on story-telling worked well for the HBS games and I like unpretentious games that are closer to point-click-adventures once in a while. The HBS games actually made me pick up a few novels and now I'd like to see more use of the setting in games. But I'll try your recommendation

gu0ns4xe2zr41.jpg

Didn't do nothing, I still like the games.

Still, the Shadowrun setting is great and a fleshed-out rpg would be welcome.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Still, the Shadowrun setting is great and a fleshed-out rpg would be welcome.
100%. I love Shadowrun, but the HBS games didn't come close to scratching the itch for what I had in mind. Actually, Dragonfall kinda sorta came close in a few ways, but still.

Hell, I'd even take a FPS sort of thing a la CP2077 with a Shadowrun skin over the HBS games.

:terminate:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tacticool Renaissance games over the last three-and-a-half years:
  • Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
  • Wasteland 3, RPG Codex GotY 2020
  • The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk
  • Urtuk
  • Solasta
  • King Arthur: Knight's Tale
  • Jagged Alliance 3
  • Age of Incandescence Colony Ship
Probably others I haven't played (yet).

Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png
Z6Xqdt4.gif

yf9pYhG.png
GiMYwC6.png

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I got and played all the HBS Shadowrun games and enjoyed them.
They were very RPG lite, very unchalleging to the point hybrid builds were the way to go, and the writing while good enough started to include a lot of cringe with Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Like mediocrepoet was saying, i welcomed those games because we were starving for similar games. We were, in my opinion, at the end of the age of decline and could not be very picky.

I crossed HBS name when they released battletech though. I regreat backing it and i never finished it. Since then, i don't expect them to release an enjoyable game to me ever again. And fortunately i don't have to.

Despite everything, we are living on a very good gaming era. We don't even have to crowdfund them into existence anymore. I am very grateful for these times where i get to be picky and turn my back on games for the slightest flaw i find them to have.

I can, and will, replay the HBS games out of nostalgia or to try new things but i have to say that i would not even touch them if they were released today.

Zeriel

Arcane
trpg, belongs in the tactical gaming subforum :M

I don't see the word "RPG" anywhere in this game's description. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Genre: Adventure, RPG, Strategy.

Still in the right section, though.

I don't count Steam genre tags.
Definitive answer https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1167750/view/3642887094702773697

What is “The Lamplighters League and the Tower at the End of the World”?

It is an exciting turn-based strategy game with engaging characters, taking place in an all-new world set in an alternate 1930s with an occult twist, carried by a unique artistic direction. Globetrot across a variety of exciting locales around the world and outwit your enemies in strategic turn-based combat - and, if you play your cards right, you might just save the world.

Right forum now. :cool:

"Unique artistic direction" is a stretch though.

If they have to say it's exciting, it isn't exciting. I know this is just ad copy, but damn, that kind of thing immediately blares to me it's shit from the get-go.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
trpg, belongs in the tactical gaming subforum :M

I don't see the word "RPG" anywhere in this game's description. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Genre: Adventure, RPG, Strategy.

Still in the right section, though.

I don't count Steam genre tags.
Definitive answer https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1167750/view/3642887094702773697

What is “The Lamplighters League and the Tower at the End of the World”?

It is an exciting turn-based strategy game with engaging characters, taking place in an all-new world set in an alternate 1930s with an occult twist, carried by a unique artistic direction. Globetrot across a variety of exciting locales around the world and outwit your enemies in strategic turn-based combat - and, if you play your cards right, you might just save the world.

Right forum now. :cool:

"Unique artistic direction" is a stretch though.

If they have to say it's exciting, it isn't exciting. I know this is just ad copy, but damn, that kind of thing immediately blares to me it's shit from the get-go.

I mean wtf use is a game that isn't exciting?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demo coming tomorrow.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1167750/view/3720593210569287751

Play The Lamplighters League Free Demo starting tomorrow, September 28!
Hello everyone!

As we are getting closer to the release (less than a week, wow!) we have some news to share:
The Lamplighters League Demo will be available for players starting tomorrow, 15:00 CEST September 28!

Don't miss a chance to try out the game before the release next Tuesday!

On the same note we are extremely happy to share an amazing piece of content with you!
We invite you to watch a small documentary about the creation process of the magnificent soundtrack of The Lamplighters League composed by Jon Everist!

Let us know what you think in the comments!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The Lamplighters League Free Demo out now!

Hello everyone!

We're happy to announce that you can now play The Lamplighters League Demo, and experience the first chapter of the story for free!

1912ffe54c5c95002bd1bb2f50a3ad9300ad1119.jpg

A few important notes:
  • The demo will be available until a few hours before the release on October 3rd
  • You can play the Demo on Steam Deck!

But that's not it!

We are also very happy to announce that various influencers are streaming Lamplighters League today after 19:00 CEST, check them out:

Don't hesitate to try it out now and let us know what you think about the game! And don't forget to check out amazing YouTube for more content. ;)

• Share your thoughts on Forum[forum.paradoxplaza.com]!
  • Chitchat on Discord[discord.gg]!
  • Have fun with us on Twitter!

Lemming42

Arcane
Playing the demo and yeah, the game is weird as fuck. Maybe it's just me, but it seems obvious that the best way to play is to avoid being detected, and thus stay in real-time mode as long as possible... which means you're depriving yourself of the turn-based combat the game is actually about. It's bizarre.

It's kind of fun to ration your real-time abilities and they make you think really carefully before taking anyone out, at least.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mkay, trying this out now...

First off, the cuck energy is trully oozing out of every pore of this game. From the get go you are introduced to the duo of a hot blond chick (which I have no doubt will come out as a dyke over the course of the game as this is HBS release in 2023) who can breach brick walls with her fist an a north African twink that I wanted to punch in the face after knowing him for about two seconds. You get it guyz? A stronk wahmin melee fighter and a "male" cat thief who can climb walls and shit but requires muscle to protect him - what a brave way to subvert gender stereotypes.

The controls are OKish, in the realtime mode you can control the whole group through WASD, you can also split the group and use characters individualy, which is often neccessary to solve various problems (climb over the wall with the twink to open door, go in with stronk female to breach a wall etc).

1.jpg

The stealth is again OKish, nothing complex, enemies have a detection radius that can be broken by hiding behind cover etc. You can do a limited number of steath takedowns per mission, which is IMO a very controversial mechanic - the devs made stealth a possibility, but at the same time are putting in this artificial limitation in an attempt to force combat. The tutorial mission in the demo is pretty jaring in this regard, since you are basically forced into combat out of nowhere when the situation could be easily solved by stealth - not cool tbh fam. Shit design.

"Ah fuck bro, I am behind an enemy guard but I already used up all of my stealth takedowns, time to go loud I guess."
2.jpg

Combat is literally nu-XCOM 2AP + some abilities type of shit. Nothing of interest to see here.
3.jpg

The devs however sure love them some shitty nu-XCOM combat. So much so in fact that in order to make you fight it is not possible to climb over a wall which is barely as tall as your characters to avoid an "alert" guard that cannot be sneaked by.

4.jpg

You know what? There might even be a fucking table right next to the said wall, but hey - you cant climb over that either. Cant have you miss all this awesome 2AP shit.

5.jpg

Oh by the way, you cant hide bodies. Enemies get alerted when they see them, so... yeah.

Anyway, the demo doesnt show the strategic/management/map travel stuff the game is supposed to have so all I can comment on is the tactical stuff. Is it the worst thing ever? No. It is a somewhat low effort nu-XCOM clone with basic stealth system that the devs apparently dont want you to use much. Combat is bland as fuck, this could have been much better off as an Invisible Inc clone instead, but that would require a bit more investment in the level desing and that is too hard I guess. Is it worth 50 bucks? Fuck no.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Playing the demo and yeah, the game is weird as fuck. Maybe it's just me, but it seems obvious that the best way to play is to avoid being detected, and thus stay in real-time mode as long as possible... which means you're depriving yourself of the turn-based combat the game is actually about. It's bizarre.
Mutant Year Zero did a similar dumb thing regarding both the real time "stealth" and using stealth weapon kills to get better openings. On higher difficulty the game was too reliant on you getting that opening with stealth kills right, at least until the mid-game.

IMO either go the XCOM 2 way and use it only as a positioning/opening tool with fully turn-based movement, or make the game revolve around it like Invisible Inc. does and again with fully turn-based movement. Otherwise you get clunky shit.

Also journos think this game is middling.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-lamplighters-league-review/

Literally worse than Starfield.

HBS can't design tactical systems worth shit, so not surprising. They had known tabletop IPs in the past as a basis and even then the gameplay results were meh, no surprise a truly original thing ended up even worse.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I knew this game was going to be shit, but thanks for confirming it for me, guys. I can't wait to watch Disgaea 7 obliterate it in sales when they release on the same day.

Lemming42

Arcane
What's so annoying about this one is that it's sort of brushing against being good at times. The stealth vs turn based stuff isn't necessarily doomed to failure. It's actually quite a good idea - Commandos, but you can turn it into XCOM at any given moment.

But both aspects kinda suck - the real-time stuff is totally inane because enemy AI is terrible and you have no abilities other than a limited number of knockouts (you can't even fucking crouch, it's done automatically when the game decides you ought to be crouching), and the turn-based stuff is pretty much the most standard-issue nuXCOM-clone slop imaginable. Then worse, both styles end up jarring against each other, rather than working together. So instead of two great sub-games intertwining together, you have two shit sub-games that are actively at odds with each other and which the game keeps forcing you to switch between against your will for bullshit reasons.

Like, imagine Commandos, but the penalty for being detected is to be forced into fun turn-based combat. That's a good idea for a game, on paper. It's a great idea, actually.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm okay for limiting stealth kills with patroling enemies and enemies become triggered after a few radio silence situations. Hell, even Batman Arkham series had a good one that main antagonist taunts his henchmen via radio while we eliminate them one by one. MGSV did good with enemies addapting your play style also.
But artificial limits are not the way...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom