Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Invincible - first-person retro future sci-fi thriller based on Stanislaw Lem

To add onto Zed's list:

-Neuromancer by William Gibson, basically solidified if not invented the cyberpunk subgenre.
-Starship Troopers by Heinlein, love it or hate it a big share of military science-fiction traces its way back here.
-Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, it would be amiss to mention 1984 in this thread but forget about another dystopian classic.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One story from the 50s that always weirded me out and struck me as one of the most nightmarish things I ever read in the genre was The Pi Man by Alfred Bester about a guy who is inexplicably controlled by the rhythms of the universe and does random, incredibly violent things that might have patterns unknowable to humans that he has no control over. It works as a first rate SF-horror story because it's so mysterious and some of his violent acts are left ambiguous to the reader like his mutilation (but not killing) of a young woman where he keeps a memento (never described) of one of her body parts. This short story came out a year before J.G. Ballard's similarly themed novella The Voices of Time and might have been an influence on Ballard. It turns out Bester likely wrote the story as a reaction to his own severe alcoholism and the horrors of delirium tremens that he either was experiencing at the time or had just overcome.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One story from the 50s that always weirded me out and struck me as one of the most nightmarish things I ever read in the genre was The Pi Man by Alfred Bester about a guy who is inexplicably controlled by the rhythms of the universe and does random, incredibly violent things that might have patterns unknowable to humans that he has no control over. It works as a first rate SF-horror story because it's so mysterious and some of his violent acts are left ambiguous to the reader like his mutilation (but not killing) of a young woman where he keeps a memento (never described) of one of her body parts. This short story came out a year before J.G. Ballard's similarly themed novella The Voices of Time and might have been an influence on Ballard. It turns out Bester likely wrote the story as a reaction to his own severe alcoholism and the horrors of delirium tremens that he either was experiencing at the time or had just overcome.
Oh man, thank you so much for reminding me that I still haven't read everything written by Bester, like this short story you mentioned. Ballard is great too; I loved The Drowned World.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rincewind

Care to elaborate on the Solaris remake? Now I saw it only once way way back, before I even saw the Tarkovsky one, and I recall next to nothing from it. But I did see some folks claiming how it is alright as a remake.

The 70s one is my least favorite Tarkovsky film to WATCH due to visually lacking much of his usual magic, what with most of it being set in few drab or disheveled rooms and coridors on the station. But it is one of a kind movie for sure.
The Hollywood/Soderbergh version seems to be based on the Soviet/Tarkovsky version rather than directly on the novel; since it is considerably shorter than its predecessor, most elements aside from the romance are removed (though there is one late reference to an Ijon Tichy story, but that twist doesn't really work for Solaris). Even the Soviet/Tarkovsky adaptation blundered horribly in its structure and pacing by taking more than an hour for Kelvin to arrive at the station, which happens in the first chapter of the book, though the Solaristics background material would be difficult to adapt into the medium of film or television regardless.

Best to read the novel.

yellowcake

Arcane
Rincewind

Care to elaborate on the Solaris remake? Now I saw it only once way way back, before I even saw the Tarkovsky one, and I recall next to nothing from it. But I did see some folks claiming how it is alright as a remake.

The 70s one is my least favorite Tarkovsky film to WATCH due to visually lacking much of his usual magic, what with most of it being set in few drab or disheveled rooms and coridors on the station. But it is one of a kind movie for sure.
The Hollywood/Soderbergh version seems to be based on the Soviet/Tarkovsky version rather than directly on the novel; since it is considerably shorter than its predecessor, most elements aside from the romance are removed (though there is one late reference to an Ijon Tichy story, but that twist doesn't really work for Solaris). Even the Soviet/Tarkovsky adaptation blundered horribly in its structure and pacing by taking more than an hour for Kelvin to arrive at the station, which happens in the first chapter of the book, though the Solaristics background material would be difficult to adapt into the medium of film or television regardless.

Best to read the novel.

AFAIR both movies are love stories where the woman is a figure for THE OTHER, whereas the book is about the OTHER where woman is one (particular) of the manifestations. Similar yet totally different.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The original novel Solaris is probably the only SF novel I read all the way through in a single sitting. It just breezed along with many enigmatic images and ideas and excellent pacing. The efforts of the sentient planet trying to communicate with the scientists but were beyond human comprehension were quite spooky, especially that part where it's apparently trying to learn how to create human simulacra. The movies are overlong and bloated (at least Tarkovsky's; didn't see enough of the Clooney version) and totally lack the economy of the novel. I wish I had first read the novel of The Invincible (not the Ackerman translation) instead of trying to listen to it on a second-rate audiobook.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
read it again to refresh myself
how do you make a game out of that is beyond me, it's a plot point that you can't fight off the cloud
a sci-fi horror maybe

Naraya

Arcane
Huh. This is the first game in a looong time that I want to play but I simply can't due to my PC specs being too low (8GB).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
8GB vram requirement I can handle but I'd rather play RoboCop Rogue City. If I'm going to be forced to walk along slowly, I at least want to be able to blow things up real good every chugging step of the way.

Modron

Arcane
Huh. This is the first game in a looong time that I want to play but I simply can't due to my PC specs being too low (8GB).
How low are we talking? I wouldn't discount 6gb vram cards, the demo ran fine on my 1660s. It's not a game where the minspecs are for 25 fps on 720p on minimum settings affair.

Naraya

Arcane
Guys - I said RAM not VRAM. The game's GOG store page says 16GB is the minimum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom