Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The inevitable "what's your first" thread.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
How does Shadowrun 3e run? It seemed interesting but I never played that.

SR3E is pretty good. Unlike D&D there's a lot of stuff to do outside combat. Adventures (runs) usually see players spending a lot of time doing legwork. (Uncovering details about the security they're goign up against, discovering irregularities and puzzling out what's really going on if their Johnson is trying to set them up etc.) Character progression also works pretty well, with skills improving gradually over time rather than huge jumps in power whenever an arbitrary experience treshold is crossed. I've had a lot of fun as a GM simply handing out a blueprint of a building where I had decided on security systems and watching my players formulate a plan on how they wanted to infiltrate it and doing mini-runs in preparation to gather the materials they needed. The biggest problem SR3E faces is hacking. There are pretty complex and time-consuming rules for running entire runs in the matrix and one player will usually want to roll a decker. Since mages can't go on the matrix ('cept cold-sim with trodes) and most non-deckers having no hackign skills whatsoever, you usually end up having to run seperate sessions for the hacker player to keep things flowing for everyone. I once tried running a simultaneous meatspace/matrix combat scenario where the hacker was trying to shut down alarms/security systems while the players were fighting. It was a horrible, horrible thing to keep track of and I wouldn't reccomend it.

Anecdote time! said:
The last campaign I played n was a 4E "superheroes" campaign, where our regular Johnson was a billionaire who fancied himself the next "Doctor X" or whatever. He gave us missions to clean up crime and help innocents in the best superhero fashion. I was playing an evil colourfully pragmatic AI. Our group decided we'd start out by cracking down on Bunraku business in seattle. Bunraku brothels being run by the Yakuza feature prostitutes with personality-chip software slotted into them and extensive cosmetic cyberware to change their appearance and behaviour to conform with whatever fetish the customers might have. (and have their memories erased at the end of the day so they can't remember if they slept with someone who wanted to remain anonymous). My AI, "The Colonel" Nathan R. Jefferson convinced the group that what we needed to do was find out who the anonymous bunraku customers were and leak the information to break the brothels reputation for discretion and removing their customer base. Everyone agreed that this was a good, non-violent solution that would remove the problem instead of jsut relocating it. We located a recycling clinic where prostitutes who got "broken" went to have their cyberware removed for reinstallation into new "employees". Since the cyberware wasn't likely to have its memory flushed until just before being installed in someone else, our first "superheroic deed" became breaking into a hospital to steal the still-warm body of a hooker off the slab. :incline:

Shadowrun 4th edition cleaned things up a lot and I'd actually go as far as to say it is the superior product. I lament that the matrix became wireless since lugging around huge, armored keyboards and having wires poking out of your skull added a lot of flavour to shadowrun. On the other hand, hacking on the fly means that deckers integrate much better into the gameplay now, and the way skill tests (standard, opposed, extended) are the same across all disciplines makes it a lot easier to teach new players. If you want to poke around shadowrun, I reccomend the quite excellent dumpshock forums. Besides reading up on rules/fluff they have a thriving play-by-post section akin to our playground where you can kibiz on ongoing campaigns and get a feel for how the game flows. (although play by post is obviously different to playing it live).
Dumpshock -> http://forums.dumpshock.com/

SinVraal

Educated
SR3E is pretty good. Unlike D&D there's a lot of stuff to do outside combat. Adventures (runs) usually see players spending a lot of time doing legwork. (Uncovering details about the security they're goign up against, discovering irregularities and puzzling out what's really going on if their Johnson is trying to set them up etc.) Character progression also works pretty well, with skills improving gradually over time rather than huge jumps in power whenever an arbitrary experience treshold is crossed. I've had a lot of fun as a GM simply handing out a blueprint of a building where I had decided on security systems and watching my players formulate a plan on how they wanted to infiltrate it and doing mini-runs in preparation to gather the materials they needed. The biggest problem SR3E faces is hacking. There are pretty complex and time-consuming rules for running entire runs in the matrix and one player will usually want to roll a decker. Since mages can't go on the matrix ('cept cold-sim with trodes) and most non-deckers having no hackign skills whatsoever, you usually end up having to run seperate sessions for the hacker player to keep things flowing for everyone. I once tried running a simultaneous meatspace/matrix combat scenario where the hacker was trying to shut down alarms/security systems while the players were fighting. It was a horrible, horrible thing to keep track of and I wouldn't reccomend it.

Shadowrun 4th edition cleaned things up a lot and I'd actually go as far as to say it is the superior product. I lament that the matrix became wireless since lugging around huge, armored keyboards and having wires poking out of your skull added a lot of flavour to shadowrun. On the other hand, hacking on the fly means that deckers integrate much better into the gameplay now, and the way skill tests (standard, opposed, extended) are the same across all disciplines makes it a lot easier to teach new players. If you want to poke around shadowrun, I reccomend the quite excellent dumpshock forums. Besides reading up on rules/fluff they have a thriving play-by-post section akin to our playground where you can kibiz on ongoing campaigns and get a feel for how the game flows. (although play by post is obviously different to playing it live).
Dumpshock -> http://forums.dumpshock.com/
The 2e Shadowrun hacking seemed fairly complex but the times I played the GM was able to run the hacking alongside the realspace portion of the adventure.

As for 4e ... I read the wireless hacking and again its sort of my feelings with D&D. Wireless makes sense now days, probably is fun. It's just not "Shadowrun". Wires and keyboards required for me to get that feeling. What is the term for 'Deckers' if they have no deck?

Still, Shadowrun will always be a favorite. I would love to see more systems where weapons have a damage and power rating.

SinVraal

Educated
BTW, speaking of Steve Jackson ... a few years I was talking with my buds about books and what not and I told them about these books I read as a kid. Explained them as best I could. Come Christmas, my one friend had figured out it was the Sorcery! series by Steve Jackson and had bought all 4 for me. One of the best presents ever.

Shamutanti_Hills.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Besides the wireless bit (and I suppose you could easily replace that and tell people to jack in) everything else in 4E is actually pretty tidy. I paticularily like the new way damage rating works. Weapons have a damage value and a penetration rating. Penetration modifies your armor rating. If your armor rating is higher than the weapons damage value, the damage is converted to stun damage. You then roll body+armor where hits reduce damage to try and soak it and the remainder is marked on your damage track. It certainly makes willpower more interesting for trolls and cybersammies, since people with loads of gear will be taking quite a deal of stun damage regardless.

Basically you roll weapon+agility vs dodge or whatever +/- modifiers. Excess successes modify weapons damage value. Damage value is compared to armor rating - weapons penetration to determine if damage is physical or stun. Body+armor-penetration is rolled, with every success reducing damage dealt by 1. Remainder is added to the appropriate damage track, with every 3 boxes of damage adding a cumultative -1 modifier to all dice pools.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
I started playing AD&D 2nd edition as a GM with some friends. It was the first pnp RPG for all of us. It had some really funny and odd situations because nobody knew the rules very well.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I discovered RPGs at too young an age to actually go out and try and find people to play with. I got some classmates into it at first, playing AD&D 2E which was my first rulebook, but it didn't last long.

add2phb.jpg

Eventually I found out about WebRPG and spent some four years devoted to it. It got me to buy rulebooks for Heavy Gear, VtM and In Nomine, but people were very apt at uploading rulebooks into WebRPG format for people to peruse while not having the physical books (there were also tons of homemade RPGs, all of which were obviously digital for easy access). It's how I got into Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer Fantasy, GURPS, others I can't quite remember the name of, and a shitload of the aforementioned homebrewed ones. Those were the good days for a 10 year old.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/role-playing-games/2929-1.jpg
http://www.vampires.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/vtm.jpg
http://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/777097-M.jpg

Those are the covers for the three I mentioned, didn't want to clutter up the thread.

Tripicus

Augur
The 2e Shadowrun hacking seemed fairly complex but the times I played the GM was able to run the hacking alongside the realspace portion of the adventure.

As for 4e ... I read the wireless hacking and again its sort of my feelings with D&D. Wireless makes sense now days, probably is fun. It's just not "Shadowrun". Wires and keyboards required for me to get that feeling. What is the term for 'Deckers' if they have no deck?

Still, Shadowrun will always be a favorite. I would love to see more systems where weapons have a damage and power rating.

In reply to your original question I would only end up echoing Ulminati. Although, our mages ended up doing large amounts of astral surveillance in addition to the large amounts of hacking etc.

In 4E the technomancers I just find odd, as I don't like the flavour of a completely biologically being having a synergy with machines wirelessly. The other flavour element I don't like is how much more prominent augmented reality is in 2070. As much as it makes sense, all base descriptions have these elements described making it cumbersome for characters without means to view these details. Everyone seems to have AR style glasses at the least, and picturing everyone wearing shades of some sort is just too much.

lightbane

Arcane
My first pnp rpg was New World of Darkness, specifically a fanmade campaign for Vampire the Requiem with Cthulhu mythos.Too bad we never finished the campaign :( .

By the way, Shadowrun's 4th edition also has some derp elements, if I recall correctly some things from the Runner's Companion book were either broken or unbalanced (like that dragon form that was overly expensive and useless). And Technomancers are Internet Mages (literally).

Random

Arcane
Patron
DnD, 3.5 edition. Got through a single game before my GM gave up, saying it was too gay.

Right now I'm the GM of a two-years-running CthulhuTech campaign, and my players hate me for giving them too many impossibly powerful bosses to fight.

Just ask Vaarna, he's still pretty upset.

Gregz

Arcane
AD&D when I was about 7 (1982).

AD&D 2E when I was about 12.

Star Wars, Shadowrun, Car Wars, Paranoia, and more 2nd Edition D&D from 13-18.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dark Heresy with some codex guys. Had hard time learning rules :oops: and times clashed so never got farther than a couple half-done campaigns. Some memorable moments though including setting fire to a town of the imperium after trying to flush a heretic (who wasnt even there) out of a house, and then being struck down by the the cleric in our group for gross incompetency. Who was also kinda indignant over the fact that I had inserted a hallucinatory bomb or something simliar into his backpack earlier on and then accused him of heresy and sabotage. :troll: fun times

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As far as actual tabletop stuff is concerned, I started with the red box Basic set D&D and canned modules and dabbled in AD&D 1E with a few friends when I was in grade school to Jr. high.

When I moved and entered high school, I played a number of games - WEG's D6 Star Wars RPG, some version of Aliens RPG, Shadowrun 1E and 2E, AD&D 2E in various settings though Dark Sun and Birthright were fairly popular. We also occasionally played some other games like Champions, Warhammer, Paranoia and Over the Edge as well as tabletop wargames.

By university, I'd more or less run out of time for a tabletop group and stopped playing except for the occasional one off game of D&D 3E or D20 Star Wars. I've played or read a lot of different tabletop settings up until around 2005. These days I'm still interested but don't really find the time or group for it.

If we count CYOA books, I'd also read/played a bunch of the Fighting Fantasy books by Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone when I was a kid.

Kjujik

Educated
20070701225325_s.jpg
mm_s.jpg

It’s not really true PnP, just Polish version of Talisman and an unauthorized rip – off. But it gently eased me into true RPG’s. Played it with a couple of mates from school. It started as a fairly easy fantasy themed tabletop and as time progressed we added more and more RPG elements. Modified rules, more complex combat, different objectives, party exploration, custom content and finally DM.

Then we ditched the boards and tried moving to more complex systems but it never clicked. The rules were too constraining so we just kept coming up with our own stuff.

After that I dabbled a bit with D&D and Cyberpunk and finally at the university I re-discovered “Schwarze Auge” (played Realms of Arkania first), but never really got the time to play it too often.

SinVraal

Educated
It’s not really true PnP, just Polish version of Talisman and an unauthorized rip – off. But it gently eased me into true RPG’s. Played it with a couple of mates from school. It started as a fairly easy fantasy themed tabletop and as time progressed we added more and more RPG elements. Modified rules, more complex combat, different objectives, party exploration, custom content and finally DM.

Then we ditched the boards and tried moving to more complex systems but it never clicked. The rules were too constraining so we just kept coming up with our own stuff.

After that I dabbled a bit with D&D and Cyberpunk and finally at the university I re-discovered “Schwarze Auge” (played Realms of Arkania first), but never really got the time to play it too often.
I would love to check out those Schwarze Auge modules and adventures in English. They look so interesting. Realms of Arkania convinced me that the game could be pretty cool to play PnP.

Kjujik

Educated

I would love to check out those Schwarze Auge modules and adventures in English. They look so interesting. Realms of Arkania convinced me that the game could be pretty cool to play PnP.

The modules are apparently quite cool. Or so I’ve heard. Never had the chance to play too many of them. We mostly used own-made improvised scenarios set in Aventurien (Mittelreich or Thorwal – depending on who was DM’ing) and not the pre-made adventures. Don’t know if these were translated into English, but here are some nifty start-up modules:

http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Der_Inquisitor (highly recommended, set in a small village with a “Name of the Rose meets McCarthyism” kind of vibe)

http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Die_Zuflucht plus http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Der_Fluch_von_Burg_Dragenstein (both are actually connected, nice undo the curse combo)

http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Ein_Traum_von_Macht (classic dungeon crawl, but still enjoyable)

The system itself has a lot of potential and can be quite flexible but can also be turned into tedious arguing over rules just like D&D. I used to play with a group composed of law and engineering students, so sometimes it ended up in arguments over rules, combat vs. story oriented approach and why some can't into numbers. Still it's fun and if handled properly can be less constraining and cliché – ridden than D&D.

odrzut

Arcane
My first was own-made system - at first we simply called it "the situation", and it worked more like adventure games than rpg - everybody imagined some mcGyver-like situation, and one person was tasked to get out. For example - you're naked tied under the balcony of the last level of skyscrapper, what would you do.

Then we've played diablo on computer, and some board games, and we added fighting system (throw coin to check if you hit, weapons and armors had attack and defense, player had hitpoints and strength), also at some point we got "Magia i Miecz" magazine
picture.php

, and changed our system to be more like regular RPGs (one DM - many players instead of the other way around, more complicated rules, more serious gameworld, etc). We ended just buying this:
2qmgdau.jpg

And I stalked like 5 newspaper stands in Lublin every month, because "Magia i Miecz" was always on the verge of bankrupcy, sometimes skipped a month without issue, sometimes showed up in only some stands, sometimes were two weeks later. Those were the times :)

EDIT: I've found the cover of the first issue I've bought

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom