Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Indie Bundle Mega Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
<$4 is a good price for LoG, Paper Sorcerer sounds decent, no clue about Desktop Dungeons.

Angthoron

Arcane
Is Desktop Dungeons any good?
It's a casual roguelike. Not too bad, but if you'd want a roguelike, you'll find better ones for free. Some puzzle elements in it as well.

So yeah, not bad. Definitely not the game I'd put at the highest price to that pack though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Not $10 good. It's more a puzzle game than an rpg. You just move around an unrevealed dungeon attacking (by running into) monsters lower level than you so that you can level up and beat the higher level monsters.

Angthoron

Arcane

Not $10 good. It's more a puzzle game than an rpg. You just move around an unrevealed dungeon attacking (by running into) monsters lower level than you so that you can level up and beat the higher level monsters.
Yeah, and you restore HP/mana by revealing unexplored tiles, which is one of the elements of the mentioned puzzle.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's more to it than that though. You also get spells, various potions, equipment and gods to fiddle with in the dungeon, and race/class combinations before you even go in. You get bonus xp for killing enemies that outrank you, which is a benefit you have to weigh against wasting the regen you get from unexplored tiles (since both unexplored tiles and enemies to give xp are finite resources.) The more difficult areas end up being really interesting, trying to figure out ways to eke out a victory, especially if you're, say, a wizard and the boss or most of the enemies are immune to magic, or burn your mana, or counterattack when you use spells on them. You can also sacrifice pretty much anything in your inventory (which includes your spellbooks) for a benefit that varies between races. It's well polished too, with in game bestiary for all the items, enemies, gods, etc. It also has plenty of tutorials, and challenge levels. It also has a lot of dungeons, and they're pretty much all unique. The exact layout is randomized each time, but it's the features of the dungeons that make them interesting. Theres ones where stuff happens when you kill enemies, like spawning zombie copies of whatever you killed, or summoning a boss next to you (in a tight labyrinth so you might get trapped between him and a dead end), ones with special features like a toll bridge cutting off part of the level or a special item that can cripple most of the enemies, ones filled with plants (which are a sort of obstacle that also interacts with some of the gods), another with a gauntlet of boss fights at the end so you can't use the usual tricks like a level catapult or a bunch of tiles to regen between them. I think there's around 20 dungeons? Not counting the first 3-4 tutorial ones or any of the special challenge levels, of which there are another 30 or some shit. The skill cap for the most difficult dungeons is through the roof, I couldn't even come close to doing them. I really enjoyed the game, spent a good 30-40 hours on it prolly before I moved on, and I'll likely go back to it some day.

All that said, it's on steam, where it'll probably get priced down to 2.50$ at some point. No need to dump 10$ on it.

Dredmore, OTOH, I wouldn't spend 50 cents on.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Or watch anime? Dredmor is a pretty shallow rogue-like but to say Desktop Dungeons is better is just being intentionally argumentative. Of course that's something you excel at.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a time limit on activation of these keys on an account? I'd like to get that EVE Online, but I want to play it during summer holidays, not during exams :M

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Back when I started I bought it during one steam sale, that one had also 30 days that started the moment you bought it. I didn't know it and when I tried to play it later it I didn't have any time left. I sent an email and they gave me the 30 days without problem

EDIT: It's a code that you have to redeem on the Eve Management page so presumably your 30 days shouldn't start ticking until you decide so.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I bought the Triumph/Larian bundle for $1 to get the Divinity games and the "Dungeons" bundle for another buck to get Paper Sorcerer. I'm not even sure Paper Sorcerer is worth a buck.

They've yet to pull a Double Fine bundle, so there's that to "look forward" to.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Thought about Paper Sorc but it doesn't look like anything amazing. I'm sure it'll be that price again during Steam's summer sale. Probably saving Double Fine for the last day.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What's bugging me about Paper Sorc are the controls and lack of documentation. Having to click twice to exit some menus, for example, and also that I couldn't find a way to get info on which characters could use which items.

Besides that it's a nice homage/tribute to Wizardry 4.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Oh, Orc Attack: Flatulent Rebellion is in a bundle only 10 days after release? I wonder why that could be.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Similiar case to Dark Shadows - Army of Evil. Released and moment later founded in 3? bundles iirc.
Except the mentioned orc game is dul and bad while Dark Shadows is shovelware level of Ride 2 hell: Retrobutt and Dung Lords.

So today
10349138_10203985258694744_2363788456672281712_n.jpg

Kissmybudnel? What an appropiate name for current situation with bundle swarm.
Soulblighter is decent (first impression based on first 30min) but the font in that game is bigger crime than Ultima7 font. Not only stylized but also extremely small.
Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi in neat FPS with generated rooms and it's better horror than the modern ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom