Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nah just pressing space is fine. Just don't use power ups you do not want on your skill.

You don't need to press space. You put the single power-up you want (more is not worth skill investment) on non-spammable skills, and set it to auto. It gets quite obvious the more you play that not only does it get rid of an annoying system, it's also optimal.

my left and right click attacks would always use up all the rage.

Putting power-ups on spammable skills is not worth it except in niche cases like mana generation or similar, and even then, you only do it when you can sustain rage.

But hey, you do you. I think the system is so poor I wouldn't remove it from auto even if it was more optimal.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I reinstalled the 1st game just to remember what was different about skills.
Base van helsing had 2 class skill tabs (mystic warrior and occult hunter) for melee and guns respectively, a tricks tab (which is just active skills, some of which were only unlocked after quest events) and an aura tab (with a cap of 2 auras).
The DLC classes have only 1 class skill tab (although it's much bigger than the default van helsing), bigger tricks tabs and similarly sized aura tabs.
The main thing that annoyed me about class changes in 3 and final cut is:
1) Most of the classes are not very Van Helsing-y. It just became a normie ARPG. Although the DLC classes didn't really help either.
2) The skill that creates Katarina replicas used to be available to every class as a trick and I used it with every build because it was very, very good. At the end of 1 the duration/cooldown allowed me to have 5 of them out at the time (although not all the time). Which was especially useful if you built katarina for combat. I was extremely butthurt they only made it available to bounty hunter and umbralist. I want a ghost army next to my robot army.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, and a complete waste of the setting. I'm a legendary vampire hunter in fairy tale east europe, let me go investigate weird shit, explore haunted ruins, secluded monasteries etc. Act 1 was such a great intro to the game & setting, but the one man "wars" & ugly polluted city stuff greatly overstays its welcome.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, and a complete waste of the setting. I'm a legendary vampire hunter in fairy tale east europe, let me go investigate weird shit, explore haunted ruins, secluded monasteries etc. Act 1 was such a great intro to the game & setting, but the one man "wars" & ugly polluted city stuff greatly overstays its welcome.

Exactly. Why is my supernatural investigator running around adminning a mundane war? It's sooooo boooooring. But I guess it was easier on development costs since the secrets are just placed in plain sight for the most part now and the level design has devolved to "rooms with enemies"...

The worst part is that with the captain mission system they already have a menu to tackle that war stuff. Let me go explore and investigate...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am also now doing war stuff with my elementalist.. I must say this game is just a group of memes and movie references.. this is less serious than any other aRPG I've ever played.
Only major meme I didn't run into (yet) is arrow to the knee one.. I even found 42 reference.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Grunker add/remove any tags on these? You've played the games so do you see anything wrong (in the tags)?

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Released: May 22, 2013
Country of Origin: Hungary
Developer: Neocoregames
Publisher: Neocoregames
Tags: Hack & Slash, aRPG, Gothic, Adventure, Isometric
#5 Codex GOTY (2013), #175 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016)

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II
Released: May 22, 2014
Country of Origin: Hungary
Developer: NeocoreGames
Publisher: NeocoreGames
Tags: Action, ARPG, Hack & Slash, Indie, Gothic, Steampunk, Isometric
#34 Codex GOTY (2014), #166 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016)

Sykar

Arcane
Just to throw in another 2 cents of mine, I enjoy the banter between Katarina and van Helsing and this is part of the reason I can enjoy the games despite them only being about decent for this genre.

Peachcurl

Cipher
No idea what you’re talking ‘bout mate
The tags under "Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing". Do you see anything wrong or something obvious that should be added? Considering you've played the games.
Not sure if that's what you mean. I don't exactly get the "Gothic" tags, that's all what's standing out to me. Unless it refers to architecture or some shit like that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I played the first game to completion and I guess I could call it a good for what it is title. I also agree that the interactions between the two leads were charming and particularly the voice acting for the ghost was very good.

That being said, it's objectively a very mid hns with none of the important stuff (combat feel, looting, char dev) done particularly well. I also never felt the slightest need to play parts 2 and 3.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Basically agree, except I easily liked it enough to play the second part. That need has diminished greatly now that I'm actually playing it. Even now where I finally got out of the city to do some countryside exploring, I'm running through an utterly linear map. Who the fuck devolved this game of the only thing that made it interesting?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just to throw in another 2 cents of mine, I enjoy the banter between Katarina and van Helsing and this is part of the reason I can enjoy the games despite them only being about decent for this genre.
I would not call it decent. I would call Grim Dawn decent and this is nowhere near GD.
Camera is trash, UI is trash, abilities are mostly trash. Moment to moment combat is mostly trash. Overload of popular culture references is beyond trash.
Banter is only fun thing about this game. I finished Chapter 5 and got to lvl 45, I think I am done now.
Only thing that could make me go on if Fluffy was a combat companion instead of another trash mechanic that you click on twice every 10 minutes or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom