Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The importance of relating to the player

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
(Spoilers for about the first 5 hours of Witcher 3 and Gothic 2)

After recently finishing near 100% Witcher 3 I was thinking why I didn't find most of the quests gripping even though they were decently written and had plenty of dramatic weight to them. Most of the contracts had a really good setup and a few even better payoff. So I decided to boot up Gothic 2 since I remember always being drawn in by it and bam I played for 5 hours on a whim, I didn't even realize how quickly time passed.

But I did realize why, beyond some surface aspects that have more to do with the age difference between the two games, Gothic 2 had more draw, at least for me. I mean at first glance Witcher 3 is much more interesting. In White Orchard you fight a griffin, save a woman's life but destroy her mind, uncover viper witcher blades in wraith filled cemeteries etc. At the same time you also get background context about the world (the way the nilfgaard officer acts towards the temerian peasant). In Gothic 2 on the other hand, you try to sneak into a city by pretending you are a farmer or alchemist and then become a citizen by becoming an apprentice. You even pick up turnips. Very low key stuff.

But Gothic 2 has something very important, it relates to the player. I realized just how few fantasy names are pronounced in the beginning beyond what setup Xardas explains. Most people just call it harbor city instead of Khorinis, or just the city. Nobody says annoying forced religious shock statements like "By Innos!" or other stuff like that. The mercenaries protecting the landowners are call just that, mercenaries (if it was a Bioware game they would have been called something painfully stupid like "The Black Blades"). People talk like regular people without forced accents or ye olde english.

I think due to how the medium works most writers and designer are doing things backwards and imposing cinematic values forcefully. In movies and books you can regulate the flow of information that the audience gets to the second and how you draw them in but they have much more freedom in games (what if the player runs around in circles testing controls after the beginning info dump, forgetting half of it in 2 minutes). I think rather than trying to bring players inside of worlds games should strive to bring worlds to the player since he/she decides the rhythm at which they proceed.

Oh and it also doesn't help that Gothic 2's "Get inside the city" quest with its 5 solutions (Sneak,Bribe,Farmer,Alchemist,Letter) is more complex than any Witcher 3 quest which are glorified A to B kill tasks.

And I do realize that the polar opposite of what I am saying are games like the recent Final Fantasy games or, sadly, Pillars of Eternity which have like 30 fantasy proper nouns in the first hour.

Tigranes

Arcane
I assume that when you travel to France it is a surprising and annoying experience, because they insist on the local superstition of blaming everything terrible on the fabled "Sarkozy", and occasionally its just-as-dangerous nemesis "Hollande". It gets worse when you cross the Channel: the folk there insist on calling their own country "Blighty", instead of, you know, just saying "Home" or "Our country". It's like they're forced to drive their stupid dialect into your skull every few minutes.

I mean, I'm not going to try and defend TW3 against Gothic 2. Kind of hard, that. But I don't know what you're doing equating "relating to the player" with that. TW3 isn't even particularly forced in throwing arcane terms at you straight away - it's more gentle than POE, and both are much more gentle than Torment, which forces you to travel with a skull whose entire vocabulary is pretty much in-setting jargon.

Gerrard

Arcane
Oh and it also doesn't help that Gothic 2's "Get inside the city" quest with its 5 solutions (Sneak,Bribe,Farmer,Alchemist,Letter) is more complex than any Witcher 3 quest which are glorified A to B kill tasks.
Nope. Don't even fucking start it.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I can see what you mean, and I think it has to do with the fact that TW3 has a pre-established protagonist. Playing as Geralt is like having an extra layer between you and the game world. Everything is about him, you're just tagging along.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I can see what you mean, and I think it has to do with the fact that TW3 has a pre-established protagonist. Playing as Geralt is like having an extra layer between you and the game world. Everything is about him, you're just tagging along.

I thought about that too but I feel like Witcher 1 did a better job of this. Stuff like Vizima Confidential or Heat of the day had that proper feeling of relating. So I think it is more bad execution than a disadvantaged premise.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't see it as a "relation to the player" at all. It's more about how the game approaches the world design. Both games are similar in many senses - they're dark and gloomy and atmospheric, sure. However, Gothic 2 early combat encounters are deadly. Bite off more than you can chew and you'll be dead very very quickly. You don't yet know the enemy moves, the monsters have a number of tell signs but you don't know them yet, you have the feeling of uncertainty, which is a pretty good feeling in an open world game.

Sadly, Witcher 3 fails to give the same feeling to you, there's only a few encounters where you might feel genuinely uncertain, and even then, you can open the bestiary to find out that yeah, apparently all you need is cast Axii. The random encounters are largely to blame - they're formulaic and either are over-challenging (with you able to immediately spot that), or simply a nuisance that you can dispatch of with a little of twirling (hello wolves). The more rare monsters like Swamp Hags and Nekkers actually give a lot more trouble, but you'll mostly be fighting necrophages and bandits, and you'll know all there's to know about them the moment you see 'em.

Unique, hand-placed encounters a-la Gothic 2 would've helped a lot.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
On a side note: is anyone even able to relate to Geralt? Dude's a marysue of epic proportions. A well written marysue, but still...

Gerrard

Arcane
On a side note: is anyone even able to relate to Geralt? Dude's a marysue of epic proportions. A well written marysue, but still...
GsYMZwg.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't get the hate. Geralt isn't super-awesome, but he's a decent dude and has a few zingers. But then, I didn't mind Thorton, and Geralt is miles better than that guy.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Wouldn't call Geralt a Mary Sue. If anything I'd say he's toned down a bit from his earlier depictions. He's nowhere near the sex god he used to be (one female character even mocks him for expecting her to reward him with sex for saving her, and any attempt to court both Yennefer and Triss at the same time will meet with hilarious failure), he can make plenty of mistakes and bad decisions throughout the game, and no matter what good things you do a majority of the population will still think he's an aberration and a freak and treat him as such.

Now Ciri, Ciri feels like a Mary Sue character. Princess of one of the biggest empires on the planet turned warrior women with mystical powers born from an ancient bloodline and destined for greatness through an ancient prophecy. Able to travel between worlds at will, winds up coming back to Geralt's world after years of being hunted essentially because she got bored of running. Everyone loves her, and is willing to die for her, even when they've only known her for a few hours, etc.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

I think relic Geralt is a much more easier to relate to than superhero gruff Geralt. I liked him most in the conversations with Zoltan and Thaler in Witcher 1 where he bemoans the fact that he is basically obsolete and doesn't feel like he belongs in the world anymore. They completely ignore this aspect of his character for Witcher 2 and Witcher 3.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wouldn't call Geralt a Mary Sue. If anything I'd say he's toned down a bit from his earlier depictions. He's nowhere near the sex god he used to be (one female character even mocks him for expecting her to reward him with sex for saving her, and any attempt to court both Yennefer and Triss at the same time will meet with hilarious failure), he can make plenty of mistakes and bad decisions throughout the game, and no matter what good things you do a majority of the population will still think he's an aberration and a freak and treat him as such.

Now Ciri, Ciri feels like a Mary Sue character. Princess of one of the biggest empires on the planet turned warrior women with mystical powers born from an ancient bloodline and destined for greatness through an ancient prophecy. Able to travel between worlds at will, winds up coming back to Geralt's world after years of being hunted essentially because she got bored of running. Everyone loves her, and is willing to die for her, even when they've only known her for a few hours, etc.

Scrooge is one of us, Gywnnbledd

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think relic Geralt is a much more easier to relate to than superhero gruff Geralt. I liked him most in the conversations with Zoltan and Thaler in Witcher 1 where he bemoans the fact that he is basically obsolete and doesn't feel like he belongs in the world anymore. They completely ignore this aspect of his character for Witcher 2 and Witcher 3.
Velen is probably a dream land for witchers as far as job opportunities go, though, and also very much rooted in the past, whereas Novigrad is full of people with much worse problems than him, so there's little reason for him to really complain. Already in TW2 it seemed he didn't really care anymore, that the just wanted to move to a cabin somewhere with Triss and get away from it all. That being said, I think people's sentiments towards Geralt in TW3 are a bit too positive overall, as he's usually treated like a respectable professional (even by people with a relatively high stature) instead of someone you only deal with when you have absolutely no other option. Exceptions do exist, of course.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter

As opposed to...?

No one I guess? Just my observation. Ciri is a special sonwflake, that's true. Both of them were very well depicted in books tough. Even with all their powers and abilities, they were extremly vulnerable and more times than not happened upon a foe that wiped the floor with them. Of course no video game will ever present a character as well as a book, I know. Just wanted to point that out.

Tigranes

Arcane
Velen is probably a dream land for witchers as far as job opportunities go, though, and also very much rooted in the past, whereas Novigrad is full of people with much worse problems than him, so there's little reason for him to really complain. Already in TW2 it seemed he didn't really care anymore, that the just wanted to move to a cabin somewhere with Triss and get away from it all. That being said, I think people's sentiments towards Geralt in TW3 are a bit too positive overall, as he's usually treated like a respectable professional (even by people with a relatively high stature) instead of someone you only deal with when you have absolutely no other option. Exceptions do exist, of course.

I like how Skellige vikings like Geralt a lot more, and it shows, and Geralt returns this appreciation when he talks to the innkeeper at Kaer Trolde. Meanwhile the Triss lighthouse dialogue shows he has severe doubts about his future as a WItcher, and the whole Kaer Morhen bits re. Lambert does it too - the death of Vesemir feeling almost like a point of nor eturn. So I think it is there quite a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom