Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Can you summarize in a few sentences what's wrong with the game?

- Everything.

That's a word, not sentence. :|

I believe in productive conversation. When I can condense the content of a 10,000 word essay in a single word I go for it. That said, If I am to pick whats the most wrong about GW2, I'd say it's a.net tooting their horn about "innovation" and "doing it differently" like a teenage collage brat, when in fact they pooped out the same WoW dhiarrea everyone else does and design wise even going backwards in some places .

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

- Everything.

That's a word, not sentence. :|

I believe in productive conversation. When I can condense the content of a 10,000 word essay in a single word I go for it.

Oh I believe in very same thing myself as well, but if I would choose to respond into a question that asks for a sentence I'd feel the obligation to do so, regardless of a question. If I felt it wasn't worth my time I'd just plain ignore it from get-go.

Shannow

Waster of Time

I still want to play it at some point mainly for the exploration aspect but the way things are going I'm not inclined to spend even one dollar on it anymore.
Well, you'd have to give some context. Did play and like GW1, or any other (m)mos? If so, what did you like about it/them?

made

Arcane

I still want to play it at some point mainly for the exploration aspect but the way things are going I'm not inclined to spend even one dollar on it anymore.
Well, you'd have to give some context. Did play and like GW1, or any other (m)mos? If so, what did you like about it/them?
I'll tell you what I liked about GW2 when I played the beta:

Is decent game. I like the exploration, discovering new stuff, messing around with different weapons and skills. Played warrior and ele, both were good fun. Public events encourage teamwork and group play from lvl 1, but in its essence gameplay is still very much the same gather x/kill y grind as in every other MMO. Charr are fucking badass, their story and starter area pretty cool. Norn/humans are super boring in comparison. UI is well designed, except inventory/crafting management. Combat not as twitchy as I had feared thanks to auto-face and auto-attack. My one major complaint: camera/controls. Unless they fix that I don't see how anyone can PvP competitively in this game.

Will likely buy some time after initial release rush just for the leveling experience/exploration aspect.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Buddy, I don't get the "I'm not inclined to spend even one dollar on it anymore."
It's a one time purchase game. Every update is free.

For what's it's worth - I played 2-3 characters to high level and found nothing much to do.
I learn the mechanics of the class within 40 levels, but got bored of doing the same quests over and over with the next-upgrade being locked behind another level.

And when you get to max level, either you find ppl to raid for tokens or just open your wallet and buy some armor off auction house. I logged off after the PVE shine is gone.

PVP wise, not really into it. World vs World (3 way) got repetitive and the three servers hardly created a balance. My guild leader is pretty crazy into this, just playing WvW whenever he can, and even buying gold to support this activity - because income is shit in the battlegrounds. You hardly gain levels - hence most lowbies won't bother going in. You're just not gonna cut it even when upscaled to lvl 80 stat-wise due to lack of perks and gear scaling poorly.

Dungeon runs weren't THAT difficult until they introduced fractal nonsense. Most difficulty in vanilla dungeon stems from the retardedly high incoming damage from the mobs you cannot tank in the traditional sense - expect lots of stupid kiting exercise, or if you have good latency/luck, dodge it completely and call others noobs because they can't play action RPGs.

Now Fractal - that was a big hyped pile of crap activity I did not enjoy. They should've seen the problem instead of chest-beating while proclaiming its revolutionary features out-weights its stinking pile of elitist turd and design flaws.

The fractal is basically a multi-stage dungeon. With a pool of random dungeon that are connected together. So you do this run daily. Sometimes it's Dungeon B > C then E. Sometimes it's dungeon F > B > A. It's basically a 4-5 chain with a finale to complete it. You get tokens and out you go. Some can be frustrating with pick-ups but which activity in modern MMO is easy with strangers? Expect rage-quits and blame-game if you wipe too many times, because the dungeon has no repairs in between. You have to finish it all in one shot - or the raid is a bust.

Difficulty can be adjusted to increase reward - but the issue is having a regular party that has unlocked that same difficulty level as you. I can't see why it's even necessary - but you literally can't team up with a level 9 difficulty dungeon if you're level 8. And level 5 can't go to level 6 dungeon. So forth. Having a once-in-a-night raid team was nice, but once a few grew bored and split up, I dropped off the game completely.

Amazingly some dungeons are labeled as level 35 - and instead of having level 70 powers when entering it, you're downscaled to level 35. And trust me, level 35s newbies will die a horrible death. One wonders why Arena won't let people just beat the fuck out of the out-leveled contents like WoW did at reduced rewards - because a lot of people don't play the game to eat a huge carrot while being butt-fucked in the ass with a broomstick of DPS race - they just wanna SEE and EXPLORE places, see?

But fuck letting people play the way they want which brings up to the classic dungeon mechanic that was completely overhauled.

Dungeons tend to have bosses littered at multiple points. Beat boss 1, you get 20 tokens, Beat boss 2, you get 20 tokens, beat boss 3, guess how many you get? 20! So what happens is Boss 2 and 3 is difficult compared to Boss 1? That's right, people just farm Boss 1. Do you see any problem with that?

Arena did. They were really sad you 'cheated' and 'gamed' the mechanics. And decided dungeon tokens would only be rewarded at the end of the raid. 100% clear or nothing.

OK, fine. Maybe we cheated. So let's speed run. 15 min runs. 60 token each. 1 hour = 240 tokens.

NO ! Arena cried again. THAT'S JUST WRONG!

We all go huh... then realized it probably has something to do with the currency drops on top of the tokens rewarded. See, Arena gave the option for people to buy gold with real money. If too many people got rich, then nobody would buy their gold. So what to do? They can't make it harder, cause the casuals can't possibly finish it...

Oh set a limit to dungeon rewards instead.
Even if you legitimately clear the dungeon 4 times in a row, you will get reduced reward. Because you didn't deserve it, you dirty fucking cheater.

First run gets 100%
Second run gets 50%
Third run gets 25%
Fourth run - are you retarded?

I've never seen MMO devs reacting this dumb to people speed-clearing their shit - but there it is.
Wow, what a long story.

It wasn't entirely shit, but those issues stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The game's got great environmental visuals, but combat was disappointing. Realtime dodging and kiting in a MMO like this feels more awkward than a nerd in P.E. class.

WoW combat was better. Better thought-out abilities and their effects and interactions. In GW2 combat mechanics feel like an afterthought.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't even know why raw keeps checking this thread. Easy posts count with one liners?
oh-you-o.gif

made

Arcane
Thanks for the elaborate post, mate.
Buddy, I don't get the "I'm not inclined to spend even one dollar on it anymore."
It's a one time purchase game. Every update is free.
Almost every other MMO already is or is going F2P, Rift being a recent example that has very few restrictions for free players. Why would I fork over money for this when I can waste my time with one of the free alternatives instead?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Plus GW2 is not worth the asking price. It feels like a cheap F2P game, not a buy2play game.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I got my money's worth. There wasn't much reason for me to stick around after reaching endgame, but the same can be said of any MMO, and getting there is a lot more fun in GW2.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Logged in today to check what's what.

I received a couple of achievement bags on my level 8 alt for no reason when I logged in. Got like 6 level 80 items. Uhhhh...

Then changed to my main character. Nothing new had happened. Nothing to do.

No item progression = dead game, no matter how much anti-WoW nerds protest. Are they still playing? No. When will MMORPG developers learn that casual bullshit design only works for 6 hour singleplayer blockbusters. For MMORPGs you must cater to the hardcore no-lifers, otherwise no-one will stick around in the long run. Simple as that.

abija

Prophet
Bullshit, you don't need and SHOULDN'T cater to hardcore no-lifers. All you need is throwing them a bone from time to time.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Arenanet kind of screwed themselves with their manifesto. I thought that ascended gear was a good way to add endgame progression without going full treadmill, but the butthurt it caused was absolutely insane.

GW1 was fine without that silliness. The problem is the usual trying to spread yourself to thin and cater to too many audiences. Dumb down game for wowtards, ???, profit?

Arenanet kind of screwed themselves with their manifesto. I thought that ascended gear was a good way to add endgame progression without going full treadmill, but the butthurt it caused was absolutely insane.

To put things in perspective, GW1 is 8 years old now and has never, ever increased the power level of items. The maxed weapons in 2005 are still the max weapons today.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
To put things in perspective, GW1 is 8 years old now and has never, ever increased the power level of items. The maxed weapons in 2005 are still the max weapons today.
True. Maybe more powerful equipment is not what the game needs, but it does need some sort of progression. Guild Wars 1 had the hall of monuments to encourage further play after finishing the campaigns, and a much greater variety of armor sets to collect. GW2 could benefit by doing something similar.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bullshit, you don't need and SHOULDN'T cater to hardcore no-lifers. All you need is throwing them a bone from time to time.
What bone would that be?
A raid instance? Sure, if it's raider-exclusive, that would work. That was the WoW-formula before they ruined it with LFR and other accessibility systems. Have at least one piece of competitive content giving players the absolute best rewards in the game running at least one at a time. That would work.

DramaticPopcorn

They added more ascended item types other than trinkets? And what butthurt are you talking about?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
For MMORPGs you must cater to the hardcore no-lifers, otherwise no-one will stick around in the long run. Simple as that.

:lol: OK.

Behold, the ones keeping GW2 money flowing in-game:

tumblr_mrf3vu3GfV1qbn3hqo1_500.jpg

:codexisfor::pete:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom