Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham Origins

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
another popamoler in a series of popamolers I'll never play.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No Rocksteady? Setting off alarm bells already.
I liked their reveal trailer. 0:30: "The challenge for us coming in after Rocksteady is to do something that hasn't been done".

Yes. Take over a successful franchise and dick around with the formula. Because that never fucking backfires and ruins a franchise.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They just need to streamline a few things to make it accessible to a larger audience.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And present the game the original developers intended, only weren't able to due to hardware limitations. R00fles!

Machocruz

Arcane
Won't play unless it's more like Asylum. Was tighter, environment more interesting, progression more interesting. City added nothing but travel time in the second game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Whee, another SLAM DUNK current-gen-last-gasp sequel. Oh, half the game takes place in a slightly-altered map from the previous game? How very Saints Row 4. ;)

I guess it still might be fun.

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
When will they make it happen in fucking gotham? With the actual skyscraper, fancy night life...

And give you the fucking bat mansion with the bat cave and all that fancy stuff?

And you would have to answer to the call of the bat signal!

J1M

Arcane
When will they make it happen in fucking gotham? With the actual skyscraper, fancy night life...

And give you the fucking bat mansion with the bat cave and all that fancy stuff?

Talk like that is dangerous. Next thing you know, there will be detective work and solving crimes...

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued

Talk like that is dangerous. Next thing you know, there will be detective work and solving crimes...

I want a batmobile!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It does take place in Gotham. The part of the city that was quarantined in AC (except in the past) in addition to another part with more high rise buildings.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
They just need to streamline a few things to make it accessible to a larger audience.
The funny thing is that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City especially are already about as streamlined as a game could possibly be. I don't even see what they could make easier. Combat is already mashy until late in the game or on hard mode, the interface and controls are about as seamless and simple as you can get for a game with so many items/doodads/etc. to use, and the presentation is stellar start to finish. They'd have to take some serious Facebook gaming inspiration to make it any more accessible.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The funny thing is that Arkham Asylum and Arkham City especially are already about as streamlined as a game could possibly be. I don't even see what they could make easier. Combat is already mashy until late in the game or on hard mode, the interface and controls are about as seamless and simple as you can get for a game with so many items/doodads/etc. to use, and the presentation is stellar start to finish. They'd have to take some serious Facebook gaming inspiration to make it any more accessible.
Sometimes you have to backtrack, that's just bad game design right there. What gamer wants to go backwards? The new developers will make sure that doesn't happen anymore. Some quality assurance testers got lost in the larger levels. When the Joker's henchmen told them not to enter an area they assumed it was off limits in the game.

I wish I had to make this stuff up :(

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Some quality assurance testers got lost in the larger levels. When the Joker's henchmen told them not to enter an area they assumed it was off limits in the game.
It's actually rather hilarious that modern audience are so used to the decline that even when given the option to not partake in it, they assume the game is broken.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Were they using the same playtesters as Dishonored? Perhaps Ken Rolston was on the money about his "Never have a NPC lie to the player" mandate.

Vibalist

Arcane
Won't play unless it's more like Asylum. Was tighter, environment more interesting, progression more interesting. City added nothing but travel time in the second game.

City expanded the formula introduced in Asylum in almost every way possible. More enemy types, riddles that were more challenging and varied, better combat system (double counter etc.), better stealth sections due to enemies having more ways of detecting you/making life difficult (shooting down gargoyles, scramblers, scanners and so on), so no, City didn't just add more travel time.

Machocruz

Arcane

City expanded the formula introduced in Asylum in almost every way possible. More enemy types, riddles that were more challenging and varied, better combat system (double counter etc.), better stealth sections due to enemies having more ways of detecting you/making life difficult (shooting down gargoyles, scramblers, scanners and so on), so no, City didn't just add more travel time.

More enemy types, challenges, better combat, and all that stuff are independent of an open world. Linear assed Ninja Gaiden 2 has more enemy types, more challenge, and better combat than both of the Batman games combined, and I didn't have to waste time gliding around boring, grey city. Now what?

tuluse

Arcane
It's actually rather hilarious that modern audience are so used to the decline that even when given the option to not partake in it, they assume the game is broken.
Were they using the same playtesters as Dishonored? Perhaps Ken Rolston was on the money about his "Never have a NPC lie to the player" mandate.
I was making a joke about modern game design in general, I don't know anything about this game specifically.

MCA
Arkham City could have been interesting if there was an actual adventuring component where you could gather intel through various contexts, as Bruce Wayne or in a civil disguise during the day and as Batman or another civil disguise during the night, connect pieces, lead your own investigations etc. More Batmany stuff that you read in comics or see in the animated series. Instead, it's just a muddied Arkham Asylum where open city is just a boring gimmick that gets in the way.

Vibalist

Arcane

More enemy types, challenges, better combat, and all that stuff are independent of an open world. Linear assed Ninja Gaiden 2 has more enemy types, more challenge, and better combat than both of the Batman games combined, and I didn't have to waste time gliding around boring, grey city. Now what?

But you said that Arkham City only added more travel time, to which I replied that it also added a lot more than that. What Ninja Gaiden does better than Arkham City has absolutely fuck all to do with the discussion, because we weren't comparing AC to NG, we were comparing it to Arkham Asylum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom