Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Game Awards 2022: Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's such an incredible mistake to pursue this 'cinematic' direction for an iso RPG. So many resources directed to what will ultimately be a sad uncanny valley pastiche that people will only remember for the memes. Even in a tightly controlled sample like the current EA version, and from the very first moments of the game, I was struggling not to laugh at all the tryharding ridiculous cutscenes.

It's a shame because the game's underlying systems seem to be solid - they just won't matter at all, because the development priorities must be so skewed. I guess Larian went full retard and are entirely committed to chasing that Bioware audience off the fucking cliff.
Yeah, it is more Dragon Age: Origins 3 than Baldur's Gate 3 in style.
Makes sense, since they are going for former-Bioware-audience crowd and greatly succeeding in getting their money.
For people who want more games like the old BGs there is stuff like Black Geyser and Pathfinder, since Pillars of Eternity IP has also been moved to "AAA" with the upcoming Avowed.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Larian losers will find a way to defend even this.
What's the problem, BG3 is a proper RPG, with party- and turn-based combat, isn't that the only thing that matters? Isn't that the kind of game Old-skool 'dexers love?

You are correct

This is the reason BG3 is better on paper than anything Obsidian or Owlcat made

It also has interesting subsystems

However consider this,

- cinematic dialogue (decline)
- custcenes (decline)
- overall linearity (decline)
- pozz (decline)
- mandatory annoying companions (decline)
- EA development hell (decline)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I hear the VR and BG interactive love doll are in production.

rpfaRLq.jpg

Obviously, Larian will reveal the real product. Getting it on with Gith Girls will be a thing.

Did I hear Fluent & Humbaba gasp?

Zeriel

Arcane
Larian will most likely release the game's ninth patch featuring the long-awaited Paladin class

9th patch sounds great at first

Then you realize it's been 2 years of EA and the game is still in Act 1 with lvl 4 cap

That's their usual pattern. Nothing wrong with it usually. The issue is what they've shown of BG3 so far in the intro makes me never want to play the rest of the game.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Isn't BG3 supposed to be sort of open world exploration like D:OS 2?
Never got far into D:OS 2, but it's more like a hybrid of open world and BG2. There's a world map, but a lot of areas can be explored into as well.

For example, there are multiple ways you can find to enter the Underdark, iirc.

As to the accusation of linearity, it's not any more linear than BG1 or BG2. Maybe that's a "decline" compared to Fallout, but this isn't Fallout 3 - which I encourage doom-posters to recall when considering whether or not this is really the betrayal they're making it out to be.

Zeriel

Arcane
That's supposed to be Jaheira? Looks more like Aerie. Man-face Aerie, but still. Did they forgot Jaheira is a brunette? Well I guess the BG2 portrait made her look more blonde, but she still had brown hair on the character, so... but man, she really looks ugly as fuck there, they really DA:I'd her up.

The idea of making her look super old is silly, half elves live to 180~. Minsc being unchanged, so obviously not much time has elapsed. Okay, I've just now put more thought into it than Larian/WOTC did, obviously.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Incorrect. Even the MQ has two branches currently and secondary quests show very high degree of interactivity and non-linear approach. By the way, we can chalk it up on trying to appeal to the BioWare crowd too.
They aren't mandatory. You're free to kill them and move on.
The EA build is just that: the EA buld. Meant to fuel the initial sales/test stuff. What's so hard to grasp about that? We aren't aware of the actual dev progress.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's supposed to be Jaheira? Looks more like Aerie. Man-face Aerie, but still. Did they forgot Jaheira is a brunette? Well I guess the BG2 portrait made her look more blonde, but she still had brown hair on the character, so... but man, she really looks ugly as fuck there, they really DA:I'd her up.

The idea of making her look super old is silly, half elves live to 180~. Minsc being unchanged, so obviously not much time has elapsed. Okay, I've just now put more thought into it than Larian/WOTC did, obviously.
She's gone gray. It's over 120 years since BG2. Minsc is unchanged because he spent most of that time petrified as a statue.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No way.
Luscious half-elf milf STAYS that way.
It's Forgotten Realms. You are telling me they don't have anti aging spells and magical effects? Magic is really common in this setting.
Jaheira is all about respecting nature. She gets mad if you even bring up the possibility of resurrecting Khalid.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No way.
Luscious half-elf milf STAYS that way.
It's Forgotten Realms. You are telling me they don't have anti aging spells and magical effects? Magic is really common in this setting.
Jaheira is all about respecting nature. She gets mad if you even bring up the possibility of resurrecting Khalid.
True.
But I thought it was established that the reason resurrection won't work is that Khalid's body(and probably soul) is too badly damaged to make resurrection possible.
Irenicus really did a number on Khalid.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Incorrect. Even the MQ has two branches currently and secondary quests show very high degree of interactivity and non-linear approach. By the way, we can chalk it up on trying to appeal to the BioWare crowd too.

I believe you

but I doubt there will be much optional content/quests

There never is in voice acted cinematic RPGs

They aren't mandatory. You're free to kill them and move on.

Great, I'm going to kill them all

The EA build is just that: the EA buld. Meant to fuel the initial sales/test stuff. What's so hard to grasp about that? We aren't aware of the actual dev progress.

You really think so?

If there was a separate *real* build, don't you think they'd spice up the EA which is like 1 act and 4 levels (and I dont know how many classes)

jackofshadows

Magister
I believe you

but I doubt there will be much optional content/quests

There never is in voice acted cinematic RPGs
The possible lack of content as a complain - I don't really see it. I mean, how much hours for one playthrough do you want, 100+? However, personally I'm annoyed by the fact that much of delivered content will be spent on "origin" characters. That's fucked up priority for sure.
Great, I'm going to kill them all
Yep. Kill, sell for slavery, for bounty, whatever. They've promised "mercenaries" anyway if I'm not mixing things up.
You really think so?

If there was a separate *real* build, don't you think they'd spice up the EA which is like 1 act and 4 levels (and I dont know how many classes)
This is obvious to anyone who've seen how they managed things with D:OS1/2 (D:OS2 EA contained Fort Joy only which is like 10-15% of the game content wise). Besides, this is a massive project, of course there're multiple builds either way. And they don't have incentive to update the EA one beyond marketing purposes. To think of it, I'm not even sure about testing.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I am serious here why is Larian art team so bad? I know Forgotten realms is not super amazing but every weapon, armor, textures in general are so gaudy.

Black_Willow

Arcane
It's such an incredible mistake to pursue this 'cinematic' direction for an iso RPG. So many resources directed
Well mate, blame the Dark Age of RPGs (2004-2012)
The "Dark Age" or "Wasteland Era" of CRPGs ended in 2012 with the glorious incline wrought by Legend of Grimrock and Dragon's Dogma. +M
Faggot's Dogma isn't an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom