Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The French. They don't like Fallout 3.

Zomg

Arbiter
bossjimbob said:
Isn't the general consensus these days that pretty much all gaming journalism is substandard and/or corrupt? How can I trust any of them? Am I supposed to trust a writer I'm unfamiliar with simply because they're shouting the exact opposite of others, or does my taste fall somewhere in the middle?

cui bono

Kz3r0

Arcane
Zomg said:
bossjimbob said:
Isn't the general consensus these days that pretty much all gaming journalism is substandard and/or corrupt? How can I trust any of them? Am I supposed to trust a writer I'm unfamiliar with simply because they're shouting the exact opposite of others, or does my taste fall somewhere in the middle?

cui bono
cui prodest.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Crispy said:
jacofer, if you spell "raped" or "raping" or any other derivative of that word using two P's again I am going to 'rappe' you into next week.
Fixed.

ushdugery

Scholar
Crispy said:
jacofer, if you spell "raped" or "raping" or any other derivative of that word using two P's again I am going to slap you into next week.
Crispy, if you ever correct another poster using improper grammar again I am goi- Oh wait I'm being anal-retentive, pursuing banal conversation topics and wasting time just to here the sound of my own fingers tapping on my keyboard. Hang on a second you were too holy shit we're both complete dickheads, man we should hang out I bet we'd get along like a house on fire we seem to have things in common. Tool.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Kz3r0 said:
SCORPIO VIDI ,HORRIBILIS CREATURAS , SEMPER FUGIT.

Tsk, tsk, that's some bad Latin.

SCORPIONEM VIDI, HORRIBILES ANIMALES, QUEM SEMPER VITO.

SCORPIONEM: Accusative of Direct Object
HORRIBILES ANIMALES: Appositives agree in case and gender with their antecedent.
ANIMALES: CREATURAS is the future participle of CREO, not the word for creature.
SEMPER VITO: "I always avoid it (the scorpion)". SEMPER FUGIT is "It (the scorpion) always flees.

Deleted member 7219

Gragt said:
One of my friend is named Biggus Dickus.

This man commands a quack legion! He wanks as high as any in Wome!

Imbecile

Arbiter
Merkeva said:
Imbecile said:
But let me understand this correctly. A reviewer is allowed to play the game, and then write what they want about it. The bastards!

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=18761

Read and be enlightened.

I'm not sure I buy that entirely, and note that this trend only applies to AAA titles, most of which had nothing to hide. Hindsight has not revealed these games to be bad. Probably the reason for the limited in-house reviews is a combination of security and deadlines.

I do think that there's a worrying trend of magazines giving higher reviews than are warranted. But I blame the public, and not the publishers.

Most people want to believe that the next game coming out is going to be the next big thing. Most people have preconceived ideas of what a game is going to be like. Joe public is much more likely to buy a magazine if it has an overwhelmingly positive Fallout 3 preview/review.

RPGCodex is very much the opposite, but would still follow similar preconception trends. The average RPGCodex reviewer would be much more likely to buy a magazine with a negative Fallout 3 preview/review, because it reinforces exactly what they want to hear.

Or maybe I'm just being unenlightened, but I don't think that only playing the game in-house for a limited period of time (18 hours?)is that big an issue, and it shouldnt stop reviewers from giving honest opinions. The reason that GTA4 got such high reviews wasn't because of Rockstars methods. It was because they were writing exactly what their public wanted to read.

Kz3r0

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
Kz3r0 said:
SCORPIO VIDI ,HORRIBILIS CREATURAS , SEMPER FUGIT.

Tsk, tsk, that's some bad Latin.
MEA CULPA.

ScottishMartialArts said:
SCORPIONEM VIDI, HORRIBILES ANIMALES, QUEM SEMPER VITO.

SCORPIONEM: Accusative of Direct Object
HORRIBILES ANIMALES: Appositives agree in case and gender with their antecedent.
ANIMALES: CREATURAS is the future participle of CREO, not the word for creature.
SEMPER VITO: "I always avoid it (the scorpion)". SEMPER FUGIT is "It (the scorpion) always flees.
Obviously you don't know me. :twisted: :cool: :lol:
Seriously, I'm a little envious of your latin skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom