Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The first Total War: Rome 2 reviews are rolling in

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: The Creative Assembly; Total War: Rome II

And they seem a mixed bunch. Eurogamer gave Rome 2 a 7/10 with comments like 'Total War: Rome 2's is a game dotted with little weaknesses. I wanted to begin this review by telling you of my attempt to spread a Roman and then an Egyptian empire around the Mediterranean like butter around a bagel, smooth, sweet and satisfying. But my experience has been more like spreading marmalade, as I try my best to work around the lumps. It's given me some unusual things to reflect upon'. Rock Paper Shotgun, Joystiq, CVG and The Guardian also have mixed things to say. Well, tomorrow we'll see for ourselves. Have a launch trailer in the mean time.

And for those who want to take a look at the AI acting in a highly scripted battle. Here's the 'Historical Battle of Raphia' on 'legendary' difficulty.

And yes, you did just see the 'legendary' difficulty AI follow a single unit of camel archers with its entire army.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
But it's not quite a beautiful vision of the past. While the sea shines in the sunlight and a thousand men charging into battle is quite the spectacle, there's a pallid, muted, almost pastel flavour to the game's palette. At times it can make scenery look flat and colours unpleasantly faded. That said, during one fight in snow-drenched Denmark, my battlefield assumed a grim, grey aspect that called to mind the desaturated battles of Saving Private Ryan. It might be an acquired taste, but I could get used to it.

This however I do like. Plus with youtube videos now really rolling in I can say that I am digging the artstyle and the use of colour. Carthage is looking dusty and hot, the lands near the Rhine are grey and cold. Shogun 2 had a lot of artistic merit. Perhaps Rome 2 will have it as well.

Apart from that the launch does seem troubled. Bugs, missing textures and a crappy AI are the usual suspects with CA once again claiming these willl be fixed with a 'day 0' patch. We'll see. Am amazed that several reviewers called the AI more stoic and not as easy to kite as before after seeing that retarded historical battle. Hm.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Total War game working perfectly out of the box would be an anomaly anyway. Empire's months long process of patching still haunts me.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The game really is looking splendid. Music is at times amazingly good. What I also dig is that the speeches are still in, though a bit hidden. Start a battle and get near the general's unit and you'll hear him. And how. CA really nailed arrogant xenophobia to a tee here.

But that AI...

Last edited:

AMG

Arbiter
wow 7/10? not goty 2020 and a wonderful cinematic experience? shipment of doritos from CA to reviewing hacks got lost or something
Anyways here is a short instruction on how to pirate rome total war 2:
1. Open MS paint
2. Draw a map of europe
3. If you are playing rome then paint it red, if playing carthage paint it white
Bonus intructions on how to hax seleucid DLC
4. Paint it grey

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If the scope is similar to empire, the thing i dread the most is the unbearable wait each time i click the end-turn button. Too many factions, armies and agents moving around.

Also... that A.I :|

spectre

Arcane
wow 7/10? not goty 2020 and a wonderful cinematic experience? shipment of doritos from CA to reviewing hacks got lost or something
Anyways here is a short instruction on how to pirate rome total war 2:
1. Open MS paint
2. Draw a map of europe
3. If you are playing rome then paint it red, if playing carthage paint it white
Bonus intructions on how to hax seleucid DLC
4. Paint it grey
You sure you're not confusing it with Europa Universalis?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What kind of retard gets a TW game day 1? At the very least wait for a GOTY with the expansion and all the DLC and maybe a patch that makes it just mostly retarded rather than totally fucked up.

Oh and don't worry about the 7/10. Eurogamer does forget itself from time to time. IGN and co will make up the shortfall and RTW2 will be the game of the millennium until next week.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
From what i could see from the player feeds, it takes at least a minute and a half for the first turn to process, 69 factions Oo

Also load times seem to be very long...

Seems like this is a pass for me, not interested in "windowed mode internet browsing while waiting games"

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They should add a mini game to play while the AI turns are processed, like chariot racing or something.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Consolitis strikes again, this is a will never buy for me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom