Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The First Templar

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Should I get it? Its out in 5 days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoYiPJ2jSo

I'm only interested cause Haemimont is making it and they made some quirky games I liked in the past.
It looks interesting, sword and shield play, just hope they up the gore level a bit. Moar splatter please.

Kraszu

Prophet
Can't really say based on the video, it depends on how the control work, does something awesome happens every time I push the button?

Those slow mo effects are optional right? If not they could make the game to annoying.

baronjohn

Cipher
Why don't you just try the demo?

Razor 1911 proudly presents:
The First Templar
(C) Kalypso

Date: 2011-05-04 Game Type : Adventure
Size: 1 DVD Protection: Serial Activation

baronjohn

Cipher
Of course
sHMPC.gif

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Well, I tried the "demo" for an hour and I dont feel its worth its 40 euro pricetag.

Its fairly simple "corridor" slasher with some side/bonus/collectible objectives thrown around. Combat is good and fluid,you can smash shields, switch guys with TAB, and theres a skill tree where you can spend EXP you earn by completing objectives. Interactivity is 0, theres glowing items that you can interact with and quest markers show you where main/side/bonus objectives are located.

Walk somewhere,fight,cutscene,fight, cutscene, repeat. Bit more interactivity besides kicking bad dudes in the head would help. Theres fighting to do in the game and nothing else. Feels kinda limited.

For half the price it would be a good purchase if you are into this genre but for 40 euros I'll get Witcher 2 instead.

Wolfus

Arcane
It is similar to older Knights of the Temple, which was not a bad game. Maybe I'll buy it for my wife. She likes everything connected to templars...

MCA
Looks like shit. Combat animations actually look good (except for the typical slashing and stabbing through plate armor). More Hollywood style than absolutely nonsensical slashing but those slow-mo kills are just retarded and annoying.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay a single dime for it. If you are so inclined to play a game of this type, Conan (2004, Cauldron) might be a better bet. Very beautifully done, quality combat animations, nice art direction and generally good combat. But it's a direct PC port of a console game and it shows. Like Knights of the Temple series and probably like this one too.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Enclave and Blade of Darkness are also a good recommendation if you want something similar.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Enclave sucked, IMO, even when it was released.
First Templar is not a "bad" game, its just that it could've been more if developers didnt went with new school design as in "lets keep it simple so even the retards can enjoy it". This streamlining really pisses me off sometimes. Sometimes you want the game to kick your ass. Here is just clickclickclickdodgedodge-WIN.

About "looks like shit" comment...are you high?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The only good slashing combat game is die by the sword or mount and blade if you want to be all modern and nextgen.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Markman said:
Enclave sucked, IMO, even when it was released.
personally i thought it was very enjoyable when it came out (for pc) and i played through both sides of the campaign in one session.

MCA
Oh I meant how the game plays, not the graphics. Graphics look ok to good to me. Better than either Dragon Age but that might be due to the art direction conforming to realism than corny anime shit in both Dragon Ages.

Nex

Cipher
markec said:
Enclave and Blade of Darkness are also a good recommendation if you want something similar.

Blade of Darkness was a great game.

Pablosdog

Prophet
This game is mediocre garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom