Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fall of Peter Molyneux

Thane Solus

Arcane
The whole thing about smacking your pet around in B&W was a bit odd. I never really thought about it back in the day but now it's a little disturbing. I mean you are basically kicking the living shit out of it just to teach it how to behave. Is this perchance a window into warped psyche of one Peter Molyneux? Who really gives a shit at this point.

It was fun casting fireballs at the peasants, though, and flinging unkillable hermits across the map.

Because Sweden was not under Cuck back then. Some animals including kids might need a slap to reality, and those that doesn't receive it might bite your hand, or become Merkel or some Epic SJW. My poor pixel i am sure i am gona beat my dog now because i played B&W. Are u migrating from RPGWatch? The average person can only train their dog by slapping on some occasions. Some more intelligent and not lazy might use some training techniques, bait and switch, much like the triple AAA developers and their fans.

You are missing a few tags.

pippin

At least now Moly has disciples. But unlike him, they can't claim to have made cool games. Look at the Bullfrog catalogue. Some of those games are like they are because he was always a bit of a madman. Even Fable could be salvageable. At least it has clear objetives and mechanics, unlike Nu Male Sky. I've always felt a bit sorry for Molyneux, because part of the memes come from people who only know him as "the Fable guy". Underage faggots. He should just retire and thank gog and EA for still caring and selling his good games.

Thane Solus

Arcane
At least now Moly has disciples. But unlike him, they can't claim to have made cool games. Look at the Bullfrog catalogue. Some of those games are like they are because he was always a bit of a madman. Even Fable could be salvageable. At least it has clear objetives and mechanics, unlike Nu Male Sky. I've always felt a bit sorry for Molyneux, because part of the memes come from people who only know him as "the Fable guy". Underage faggots. He should just retire and thank gog and EA for still caring and selling his good games.

Peter was never good alone or with a shit team. Games like Syndicate, Magic Carpet or Dungeon Keeper were made as part of the team. He usualy was producer, or executive producer of these games. Without the team (Bullfrog) which was the real talent, he would make shit like today wit 22 cans.

Many of our heroes from '90 are hacks made on the work of others that didn't choose to become a popular person and shit like that. I am pretty sure its the same with Fargo, Roberts, Richard and so on. Very few were actually designers or programmers, most of them participated on some projects, but i bet that most of the good ideas came from the team members and not these hacks.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The whole thing about smacking your pet around in B&W was a bit odd. I never really thought about it back in the day but now it's a little disturbing. I mean you are basically kicking the living shit out of it just to teach it how to behave. Is this perchance a window into warped psyche of one Peter Molyneux? Who really gives a shit at this point.

It was fun casting fireballs at the peasants, though, and flinging unkillable hermits across the map.

Because Sweden was not under Cuck back then. Some animals including kids might need a slap to reality, and those that doesn't receive it might bite your hand, or become Merkel or some Epic SJW. My poor pixel i am sure i am gona beat my dog now because i played B&W. Are u migrating from RPGWatch? The average person can only train their dog by slapping on some occasions. Some more intelligent and not lazy might use some training techniques, bait and switch, much like the triple AAA developers and their fans.

You are missing a few tags.
trying this hard

pippin

Peter was never good alone or with a shit team. Games like Syndicate, Magic Carpet or Dungeon Keeper were made as part of the team. He usualy was producer, or executive producer of these games. Without the team (Bullfrog) which was the real talent, he would make shit like today wit 22 cans.

Many of our heroes from '90 are hacks made on the work of others that didn't choose to become a popular person and shit like that. I am pretty sure its the same with Fargo, Roberts, Richard and so on. Very few were actually designers or programmers, most of them participated on some projects, but i bet that most of the good ideas came from the team members and not these hacks.

Molyneux was never a "real" programmer, but he worked side by side with everyone in Bullfrog (in fact later failures are partly explained because egos clashed all the time). He playtested the games with the devs and used to introduce "cheatcodes" which later became gameplay features (I know for a fact this was the case with Dungeon Keeper for instance). I know what you are saying and I sort of agree with you, but at the same time I think Bullfrog - > 22cans says more about the overall gaming scene as a whole unit than anything you could say about Molyneux, in my opinion. Bullfrog is one of those "right place at the right time" kind of deals, and we have to give credit where it's due, Molyneux knew how to recognize talent and give said talent a platform to evolve. The Theme games were almost a joke, but Molyneux gave them a chance and it became one of the best sim franchises of the 90s. Same with Syndicate. While I know stuff has happened, I still think it's unfair to bring him down just because said stuff happened. He was probably expecting stuff his team(s) were unable to complete, but the fact is they were able to do just that and more in the Bullfrog days.

:Flash:

Arcane

They all were programmers in the beginning. In the early games industry you didn't have a leg to stand on if you were not a programmer.

Molyneux is credited as a programmer on all the early Bullfrog titles. The second programmer (and designer) for those often is Glenn Corpes, of whom I've never heard. When you look at the credits history of Bullfrog, for the early games those two have the same roles, both designer and programmer. Then later Corpes seems to go the engine programmer route, and Molyneux becomes the face of the company. It's kind of funny how one of them got famous and the other one nobody ever heard of.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
Peter Molyneux Wins Lifetime Underachievement Award

Throughout my long and storied career, I’ve strived to create experiences that left gamers wanting more, and this award is the culmination of all that hard work,

Never, ever, be afraid to dream big, take risks, and set impossibly high expectations that you have no intention of meeting with the final product. If you strive to be bold and never give up, despite constant calls for your resignation as head of a major studio whose games have all underperformed both critically and commercially, well, maybe someday you’ll be where I am today

The speech ended with Molyneux plugging his upcoming game, The Legacy, and issuing a few more of his trademark guarantees. “I promise, you’ve never played a game like this before, because it’s not a game, it’s a lifestyle. Over seventy hours of gameplay. A main character who looks just like you. Laser snakes. Ice demons. Go kart racing. This will be a big breakthrough in the way we play games.”

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/peter-molyneux-wins-lifetime-underachievement-award/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom