Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Fall dev diary #5 at RPGVault

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Carsten Strehse; Fall: Last Days of Gaia; Silver Style

<A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com" target="_blank">RPG Vault</A> have the <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/527/527167p1.html>fifth dev diary</a> about The Fall - Last Days of Gaia. This one is by the Kaiser himself, <b>Carsten Strehse</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>A simple example - at some point, the player needs to have explosives in order to open a bunker. Perhaps you were lucky enough and managed to acquire such equipment earlier. Or you might run across what could be considered an accommodation broker who happens to use dynamite to 'craft' apartments into rocks since those are way more resistant against the climatic conditions than your average house. How about obtaining some explosives by helping his business and arranging a deal? You're not going to be directly pointed to the solution though.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That's also a prime example of RPG developers hearing "non-linear quests" and missing the point. Okay, so there's eleventy billion ways of getting the dynamite--terrific. So how come I absolutely, necessarily have to get the dynamite? But I should give Carsten a bit of credit--he went through two whole pages without mentioning Fallout once.

Voss

Erudite
maybe the special necklace has water in it?

jeansberg

Liturgist
@Rat Keeng

Way to reply before reading the entire diary, man. That was an example of the type of quest they try to avoid in the game.

And also about the bunker quest, i´m pretty sure there are solutions where you don´t have to get the dynamite. I think they talked about it on their forums a while ago.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Rat Keeng = pwned. Dude, learn to read. Carsten clearly stated that as an example how NOT to do a quest. Carsten also stated on the forums that there will be 'talkie' methods of getting into the bunker that don't require the use of high explosives.

Do your research before making your evaluations, people. Poor, unresearched evaluations only serve to degrade our journalistic integrity. We aren't GameBanshee, you know.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
jeansberg said:
Way to reply before reading the entire diary, man.

Way to assume i didn't read the entire diary, man.

That was an example of the type of quest they try to avoid in the game.

Ha! You're right, i completely misunderstood what he was trying to communicate. I must've gotten used to not take anything he says seriously, i guess i just didn't find it unrealistic that he would put a quest in his game, in which a person in the middle of the desert wants a special necklace.

edit: wow, getting pwned really sucks.

Spazmo

Erudite
I can't go scouring the relevant forum every time I post anything about a game. Especially since these are Silver Style forums and to be a fan of Silver Style, you'd have to be a real idiot, making ventures into their forums comparable to trudging through the old IPLY boards.

I read the article as is and then report on it. If we had hordes of factcheckers, maybe, but I can't cross reference with every post a dev makes.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
That's what GameBanshee said about us when we corrected them about their false reporting on Fallout's story.

Fain

Novice
@Rat Keeng

I registered on this forum for the express purpose of telling you that you're an idiot.

SickBastard

Novice
Spazmo said:
Especially since these are Silver Style forums and to be a fan of Silver Style, you'd have to be a real idiot, making ventures into their forums comparable to trudging through the old IPLY boards.

Hey, it must mean i'm an idiot too. Cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom