Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

'The Experience' vs Gameplay

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Failure to provide meaningful counter-argument.

nomask7

Arcane
Let's take an example, first. Gothic's game mechanics are exceptionally good, or perhaps it would be safer to say that G2: NotR's gameplay is great (it's rare for something to be great). If you read through the Amazon reviews of G2: NotR, you'll notice that lots of people have trouble with the gameplay. Now, how have game developers reacted to such player reactions throughout the years? There is a trend to it, and this is how: they've chosen to make the gameplay in every game as "intuitive" as possible so that it wouldn't annoy anyone. Effectively, they've thrown the gameplay aspect down the drain, and try to compete against other developers by improving the graphics, story, sounds, in short, the Experience (unnoticeable, unobtrusive, non-existent gameplay being an essential part of it). That's a fact. Let's not listen to any self-serving crap to the contrary. Fuckers, try to make good games for a change instead of following the whims of braindead marketing men or literally spoiled brats (spoiled by you).

nomask7

Arcane
In the initialization file of Gothic 2, someone has written,
<pre>
if you set this one to 0 you will have another fight interface (one key to attack).
we feel the gothic 1 interface is more challenging, so we set the old controls to default</pre>
(I've always used the old controls as well, even though I played Gothic 2: NotR before the original Gothic. When I refer to G2's gameplay, I'm assuming the old controls are used.)

edit: if that were from a 2009 game, it would read something like, "i set the new controls to default, cuz itz more intuitive that way, no one will ever no there was something better, har har"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom