Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

deama

Prophet
Pretty much, the only good looking one was that banana one from amarr.
I was hoping there'd be more in that vein, didn't really care from what faction, but just that sleek interesting shapes design.

Another banana(roach).

Too horizontal, I like vertical ships, basically like the one from homeworld.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Eve online was my addiction for about 5 years. You really can do pretty much anything you want in that game. I made a great business robbing wormhole player corporations and alliances. Not really sure what the game is like now but it was fun. Full time job kinda killed my ability to play it anymore sadly.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I started playing EVE before the (first?) graphics revamp. My pod pilot career spanned 2006-2012. I agree that some of the ship artwork (Gallente in particular) had a much less organic appearance after the models' polygon count, textures, and specularity were altered.

Gallente ships always looked like space potatoes, and after the graphics revamp that caused them to lose a lot of their organic flair, are a mixed bag in my view, aesthetically speaking. Some of them look very cool; the rest are just boring turds.

Minmatar ships are my favorite aesthetically and performance-wise. My favorite ship in the game (to look at, and to pilot) was and is the Stiletto, AKA the space mosquito.

Caldari are my second-favorite, with Amarr coming in a very close third; I don't like gaudy shit, but a few of the Amarr ship designs are my very favorite. I think I like more Amarr ship models than Caldari, proportionally speaking, but the gaudiness factor loses them a lot of points.

Higher Game

Arcane
I started playing EVE before the (first?) graphics revamp. My pod pilot career spanned 2006-2012. I agree that some of the ship artwork (Gallente in particular) had a much less organic appearance after the models' polygon count, textures, and specularity were altered.

Gallente ships always looked like space potatoes, and after the graphics revamp that caused them to lose a lot of their organic flair, are a mixed bag in my view, aesthetically speaking. Some of them look very cool; the rest are just boring turds.

Minmatar ships are my favorite aesthetically and performance-wise. My favorite ship in the game (to look at, and to pilot) was and is the Stiletto, AKA the space mosquito.

Caldari are my second-favorite, with Amarr coming in a very close third; I don't like gaudy shit, but a few of the Amarr ship designs are my very favorite. I think I like more Amarr ship models than Caldari, proportionally speaking, but the gaudiness factor loses them a lot of points.

Amarr are armor themed and cap hungry, good for short term engagements but bad grinders (Caldari are the grinders). Their gaudy and flashy aesthetics perfectly fit their performance. Minmatar are just an uncanny valley to me and Gallente are for drone loving boomers.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Amarr are armor themed and cap hungry, good for short term engagements but bad grinders (Caldari are the grinders). Their gaudy and flashy aesthetics perfectly fit their performance. Minmatar are just an uncanny valley to me and Gallente are for drone loving boomers.
Best grinders?
Are you, perchance, a carebear?
Do you like to doze off lulled by the peaceful droning sounds of the mining lazers?
Or do you agent-run till your eyes bleed somewhere in high-sec in your pimped out Golem?

Amarr is the choice for PvP. At least they used to be.
They had some of the best ships for nearly all aspects of PvP:
starting noob pvp (Punisher, Coercer), anti-noob-pirate baiting (Auguror), the hands down best solo/roaming HAC (Curse, Pilgrim),
noob-fleets (Harbinger), and the fucking beast of the battleships (Abaddon).

The second best option would be the space-negroes Minmatar. They are all about speed and projectiles.
As someone said, flying matar-buckets is like rushing down a bumby flight of stairs in a wheelchair held together by spit and duct tape,
while holding Uzis in each hand, shooting all around and screaming bloody murder all at the same time.

never has been. laser damage is the easiest to tank, amarr has always been the last choice in pvp, also because of the abundance of neutralizers. you either go minmatard because the projectiles were the best all around, caldera for missiles since they got all the damage types available and no tracking issues, or gayllente for the sheer ungodly amount of close range damage, anything within webbing range is dead meat. amarr has always been the worst ships to pvp with, overall.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
never has been. laser damage is the easiest to tank, amarr has always been the last choice in pvp, also because of the abundance of neutralizers. you either go minmatard because the projectiles were the best all around, caldera for missiles since they got all the damage types available and no tracking issues, or gayllente for the sheer ungodly amount of close range damage, anything within webbing range is dead meat. amarr has always been the worst ships to pvp with, overall.
Yeah, thank you for your qualified carebear input. Carry on, agent!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Just FYI, you're outlining basic and broad factional ship characteristics for me, a player who was as rich as Croesus (around half a trillion net worth, which was an obscene fortune back then) and spent his last years rolling with an OG small gang gudfites corp.

Just a few years back, I was logging into my accounts to give away billions to this or that Codexer.

To be fair, a Rifter probably costs half a bil now. Inflation, you know....

Axie

Scholar
No man, what you wrote is spouted either by old-oldfags which only played during the low-skill/no-meta period (who were also casual and bad) or by level 3 mission runners who “heard it from a friend in null.” Let me guess, you were both – a mission runner in 2005?

Higher Game

Arcane

Just FYI, you're outlining basic and broad factional ship characteristics for me, a player who was as rich as Croesus (around half a trillion net worth, which was an obscene fortune back then) and spent his last years rolling with an OG small gang gudfites corp.

Just a few years back, I was logging into my accounts to give away billions to this or that Codexer.

We could sperg out over spreadsheets but my main point is that Amarr ships are not inappropriately gaudy for how they generally fight, alpha in all senses of the word. They're "art deco" or "neoclassical" or something, fitting for knights in shining armor. :obviously:

I guess Minmatar uncanny valley looks are appropriate too, when you think about it, but they just seem mediocre to me overall. Except the vargur and sleipnir, those are good.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Damn that's pretty rich. Probably the only Codexer who was comparable to me in wealth. Of course I would have been far richer if real life issues didn't force me to stop playing. I think my full network was around 500bil at the end. I had originally planned to crack 10tril but then I had job issues and couldn't play reliably. I think my 500bil was worth less than yours do to inflation, though. Last played in 2017.

Of course the worst thing about EVE is that Quill18 is richer than me even though he never did anything that mattered due to the referral bounty of being a popular streamer. To think I had to engage in the #1 most isk per hour effective activity in the game just to compete with a dufus flying a rifter around and sometimes doing faction warfare. Social skills truly are the most OP skills.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Amarr are the cavaliers. Gallente are the roundheads. Minmatar are the natives. Caldari are the civilians.

:philosoraptor:
Amarr are the empire of religios fanatics.
Their ships are like spanish gold galleons.
Armor tank. Slow and inevitable like the fucking heat death of the universe.
They use beam weapons - the holy laz0rs to burn heretics.

Minmatar are the EVE's orcs.
Their ships are fast and armed to the teeth with machnine-guns.
And they look like jugged and rusty buckets with trails of smoke and sparks.
They tank with speed.
A very good
I'd say the best, but I'm an amarr loyalist
choice for PvP pilots, perfect for mobile roaming gangs.

Gallente are the space biolabs.
Their greenish ships are rounded, baubly and organic looking, like huge space insectoids.
Excel at using drones. Which is both their the strongest and the weakest point.
Triple tank I guess, ahahaha. An old joke, I wonder if anyone even gets it anymore.
I flew them the least.

Caldari are the OCP minus the Robocop.
Soulless space corporations under the guise of "muh humanitarism".
Shield tank and missle weapons, which make them a bit more noob friendly then the rest.
Mostly the PvE choice.

Disclaimer: That was my impression when I played too many years ago.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Jaesun I didn't actually think that a Rifter cost half a billion.

The most meaningful way to measure inflation in EVE between 2012 and today would be to gauge PLEX (Pilot License Extension) costs today versus then. Rich PvP veterans (or privileged nullbears) basically play EVE for free via the PLEX system. Rubes and noobs buy PLEX for $, then sell it for ISK; the PLEX can be used to purchase account subscription time.

CCP have changed the way PLEX works since I last played. PLEX used to be a single "ID card"-themed item that sold as one unit, but now comes in 500 pieces that resemble gold-pressed latinum :lol:, and the actual monthly subscription cost has increased, not surprising since I last played twelve years ago.

Furthermore, the game is definitely on the decline. It's over twenty years old, for fuck's sake. So, PLEX prices (for veterans buying it with ISK) are higher than they otherwise might be, because there are significantly fewer new players shoveling money at the game.

So adjusting for the fact that the PLEX supply is low these days, and very roughly speaking, an individual ISK today has about half of the buying power it did in 2012. I would need around 1 trillion ISKies net worth today to have the same buying power I had in 2012 with 500bn.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

The most meaningful way to measure inflation in EVE between 2012 and today would be to gauge PLEX (Pilot License Extension) costs today versus then. Rich PvP veterans (or privileged nullbears) basically play EVE for free via the PLEX system. Rubes and noobs buy PLEX for $, then sell it for ISK; the PLEX can be used to purchase account subscription time.

CCP have changed the way PLEX works since I last played. PLEX used to be a single "ID card"-themed item that sold as one unit, but now comes in 500 pieces that resemble gold-pressed latinum :lol:, and the actual monthly subscription cost has increased, not surprising since I last played twelve years ago.

Furthermore, the game is definitely on the decline. It's over twenty years old, for fuck's sake. So, PLEX prices (for veterans buying it with ISK) are higher than they otherwise might be, because there are significantly fewer new players shoveling money at the game.

So adjusting for the fact that the PLEX supply is low these days, and very roughly speaking, an individual ISK today has about half of the buying power it did in 2012. I would need around 1 trillion ISKies net worth today to have the same buying power I had in 2012 with 500bn.
Even has basically been in decline since 2014 or so, which is unfortunate, because playing an industrialist in EVE, null or otherwise, is an utterly unique gaming experience. Sad times.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Even has basically been in decline since 2014 or so, which is unfortunate, because playing an industrialist in EVE, null or otherwise, is an utterly unique gaming experience. Sad times.
I'm very happy about both when I started playing, and when I stopped. Both were pretty close to ideal.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Actually the player numbers have been going up steady for the last 6 months I have been playing.
you mean the existing players have created more accounts for multiboxing
Probably lol. But it has been interesting in chat to hear many people returning also. That Through The Wormhole video actually brought a lot of interest back into the game, that's a common thing I hear in chat a lot.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Actually the player numbers have been going up steady for the last 6 months I have been playing.
Probably lol. But it has been interesting in chat to hear many people returning also. That Through The Wormhole video actually brought a lot of interest back into the game, that's a common thing I hear in chat a lot.
what video? also yeah eve is definitely the best mmo and it's not even close, good to hear it's still going strong.

I just wish I had the time to play it :negative::negative::negative:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
what video?

6 hours though, I'm going to need to ask for a day off to be able to watch it

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
what video?

6 hours though, I'm going to need to ask for a day off to be able to watch it

Ditto, looks really comfy.

Vikings don't often make games, but when they do ... :)

Caim

Arcane
I got curious so I did a quick search. Aside from a Mount Everest simulator and some pay2win stuff the most notable game from Iceland would be Kingdom, that 2d kingdom building game:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I got curious so I did a quick search. Aside from a Mount Everest simulator and some pay2win stuff the most notable game from Iceland would be Kingdom, that 2d kingdom building game.

It's such a blatant 'Jones in the Fast Lane'-ripoff one could almost call it a sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom