Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Errant Signal Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha wow. EVE Online would probably make that chick's head explode. :lol:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Why, according to feminists, everything is a 'culture'?

I remember when Anita called torrent "File-Sharing culture" :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It gives an illusion that you know anything about sociology and stuffies... funny thing is that "define culture" in sociology leads to more rants than "define RPG" does here. :lol:

Dexter

Arcane
It's a good rhetorical tactic to group a whole lot of people together to point at and say "teh evilz": http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/women-battle-online-anti-women-hate-manosphere/story?id=20579038 or respectively ignore any opinions coming from said groups or individuals, although all sides do it to varying degrees. Politicians do it very often too... whenever there is talk about some law banning this or that, which would say decrease freedom of speech (or in regards to monitoring or anonymity laws) they talk about the "Internet community" saying this or that as if it wouldn't affect everyone else: http://boingboing.net/2009/06/16/germany-to-build-the.html

Also don't forget to point out that "the internet" or "gaming" or whatever it is that you are attacking "doesn't exist in a vacuum" (as if that somehow makes any sense whatsoever) to make your points look stronger: http://www.maimer.net/2009/08/the-internet-a-legal-vacuum-or-a-legal-mess/ (It's kind of similar to using rhetorical words like "murder simulator" or "killer games" to describe shit and influence legislation and general opinion.)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
My boss at my last job told me a story about how she used to play Anarchy Online, and how she would hang out at popular farming spots and ambush and kill people with rare gear and steal their shit, since apparently you drop everything on death in that game. She did the same kind of thing in eve online.

Yeah, gankers are always male, just like all women are bad drivers.

DefJam101

Arcane
More people railing on open PvP games who have never actually played and know nothing about open PvP games. Never seen that before.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I really like his video, but I don't agree with how he dismissed Campster... yes, there are countless gaming cultures, but Capster was quite clear that he was talking about "Gamers that self-identify themselves as gamers", and I do believe that is a valid group that presents the characteristic that he attacks.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
This is the company that ES keeps.

Guilty by association, eh? Your butthurt concerning this guy is boundless, evidently.

Better ban all PvP and internet anonymity! Don't take me on in regards to ES and his company, you'll look ridiculous defending a guy who links to chip on the shoulder, leftists, who actually advocate banning PvP in all videogames.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yeah, I really like his video, but I don't agree with how he dismissed Campster... yes, there are countless gaming cultures, but Capster was quite clear that he was talking about "Gamers that self-identify themselves as gamers", and I do believe that is a valid group that presents the characteristic that he attacks.
So wait, there really are people that call themselves gamers?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So wait, there really are people that call themselves gamers?

Ninjerk

Arcane
My world just got a little bit darker. I think it was funny that the doritos guy was obviously repulsed by the girl doing the interviews (or the whole charade, depending on how much shame he has).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Guilty by association, eh? Your butthurt concerning this guy is boundless, evidently.

Better ban all PvP and internet anonymity! Don't take me on in regards to ES and his company, you'll look ridiculous defending a guy who links to chip on the shoulder, leftists, who actually advocate banning PvP in all videogames.

Did you seriously just warn me about "taking you on" because I'd "look ridicoulous" on the Codex?

I have often thought of you as a candidate for Most Edgy RPG Codex User, but this is off the charts :lol:

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Did you seriously just warn me about "taking you on" because I'd "look ridicoulous" on the Codex?

I have often thought of you as a candidate for Most Edgy RPG Codex User, but this is off the charts :lol:

You could try to remove the anonymity from gankers.

The only way to end the problem, is to end ganking. And the only way to end ganking, is to end open world PvP.

This is what you're defending. How are you comfortable with yourself, knowing that the Youtube personality you like, actually links to blogs like this?

In regards to the idea of "GBA is bullshit!", if I only posted right-wing websites on my blog [hypothetically, I don't have a blog], wouldn't it be safe to assume I was a right-winger? Why can't you logically assume the same with ES? If you've payed attention to his videos, you'd know he is antithetical to actual videogame critique/review/deconstruction, and really only serves the same purpose as the political mouthpiece, sensationalists over at Kotaku.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is what you're defending.

Now a blatant strawman as well! This is glorious!

1) Errant Signal linked to a blog

2) That blog has a retarded sentence

3) Since he linked to the blog, I can hold him accountable for everything said on that blog

4) Since you point out the fallacy of this argument, you are defending Errant Signal

5) Therefore you are defending the totality of his views

6) Thus, YOU ARE DEFENDING THAT RETARDED SENTENCE!

The logic is astounding! Please, keep it coming!

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

"He linked to that blog, and that blog has this retarded sentence, and since he linked, I can hold him accountable for that sentence, and since you point out the fallacy of this argument, you are defending Errant Signal, and therefore the totality of his views, and thusly, YOU ARE DEFENDING THAT RETARDED SENTENCE!"

The logic is astounding!

Come on, man. You're being completely unreasonable. It's not a strawman or GBA or some fallacy to point out that ES focuses more on forcing his political views on his audience, than he does actually reviewing games, and it's not a fallacy to point out that he actually links to blogs that advocate removing PvP from ALL videogames and removing anonymity from people who play videogames. No matter how many shitty, little, passive-aggressive barbs you throw at me, it's not going to change the facts.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's a strawman to hold me accountable for the sentence concerning PvP because I'm "defending" Errant Signal (actually, it's pretty much the definition of a strawman) and it's a fallacy that Errant Signal has to answer for the collated views on that blog because he links to it.

passive-aggressive barbs you throw at me

I'm not being passive here, so evidently logic isn't the only aspect of arguing that troubles you.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
To clear this up, what you people are reffering to is a "Pingback": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingback which is an usual part of Blog software that automatically adds a link to a Blog or article or whatever that links to yours.
He didn't link to anything, somebody somewhere referenced his writings and it got automatically added to the Comment feed.

Afaik there's enough stupidity in his own videos and writings to take him to bank over without relying on Pingbacks in his comments.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

"He linked to that blog, and that blog has this retarded sentence, and since he linked, I can hold him accountable for that sentence, and since you point out the fallacy of this argument, you are defending Errant Signal, and therefore the totality of his views, and thusly, YOU ARE DEFENDING THAT RETARDED SENTENCE!"

The logic is astounding!

Come on, man. You're being completely unreasonable. It's not a strawman or GBA or some fallacy to point out that ES focuses more on forcing his political views on his audience, than he does actually reviewing games, and it's not a fallacy to point out that he actually links to blogs that advocate removing PvP from ALL videogames and removing anonymity from people who play videogames. No matter how many shitty, little, passive-aggressive barbs you throw at me, it's not going to change the facts.
This is a pretty ridiculous argument to make. Where did Campster advocate removing PvP from all video games? Where did Grunker state that he agreed with everything Campster said? Creating a fictitious argument and then tearing it down in place of an opponent's actual argument is literally the definition of a strawman argument, and you've somehow managed to do that twice in one paragraph.

Also, his most recent video aside, I don't see where Campster is "forcing his political views on his audience". It seems to me that his videos focus more on problems in the industry as he sees them, and his political views rarely if ever come up. As they should; the gaming industry has very little to do with politics. Again, this most recent video aside, and I probably would have been more forgiving of that if he hadn't made such a broad generalization about gamers or made a seperate blog post trying to defend his untenable position.

Finally, as Dexter pointed out, he didn't even link to that blog. So pretty much your entire argument has fallen apart. But even if he had linked to it, realize that your entire position is basically the equivalent of "somebody on RPGCodex is a racist, therefore everyone on RPGCodex is a racist and everyone who links to RPGCodex is a racist. QED."

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

The logic is astounding!

1. This is a pretty ridiculous argument to make. Where did Campster advocate removing PvP from all video games? Where did Grunker state that he agreed with everything Campster said? Creating a fictitious argument and then tearing it down in place of an opponent's actual argument is literally the definition of a strawman argument, and you've somehow managed to do that twice in one paragraph.

2. Also, his most recent video aside, I don't see where Campster is "forcing his political views on his audience". It seems to me that his videos focus more on problems in the industry as he sees them, and his political views rarely if ever come up. As they should; the gaming industry has very little to do with politics. Again, this most recent video aside, and I probably would have been more forgiving of that if he hadn't made such a broad generalization about gamers or made a seperate blog post trying to defend his untenable position.

3. Finally, as Dexter pointed out, he didn't even link to that blog. So pretty much your entire argument has fallen apart. But even if he had linked to it, realize that your entire position is basically the equivalent of "somebody on RPGCodex is a racist, therefore everyone on RPGCodex is a racist and everyone who links to RPGCodex is a racist. QED."

1. Go to 3.

2. He frames the narrative from a leftist perspective all of the time. You can't just say "Oh well his most recent video was egregious, but he's never done it before!" when he has. I remember I made a point a year back about ES in regards to his Doom video where it was 2 minutes about Doom and 8 minutes about political shit and things other than Doom.

3. If that is true, then I am wrong in regards to him linking towards blogs, since it was an automated thing. My argument hasn't fallen apart. I was wrong about him linking a radical lefitist blog, but im still right in attacking him for him taking politics more seriously than actual game mechanics. I don't have a problem with Grunker, I have a problem with ES, for the reasons I mentioned.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Also, his most recent video aside, I don't see where Campster is "forcing his political views on his audience". It seems to me that his videos focus more on problems in the industry as he sees them, and his political views rarely if ever come up. As they should; the gaming industry has very little to do with politics. Again, this most recent video aside, and I probably would have been more forgiving of that if he hadn't made such a broad generalization about gamers or made a seperate blog post trying to defend his untenable position (...)
"Rarely"

He vomits a lot of political propaganda, especially in his most recent videos.

But he probably is just a sheep and has no agenda.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I remember I made a point a year back about ES in regards to his Doom video where it was 2 minutes about Doom and 8 minutes about political shit and things other than Doom.

Bro I think your problem might be that you have a definition of the word "political" that is a bit different than what most people understand that word to mean.

Or alternatively you have a very special way of watching videos.

Xor

Arcane
He vomits a lot of political propaganda, especially in his most recent videos.
What political propaganda? Again, most recent video aside.

2. He frames the narrative from a leftist perspective all of the time. You can't just say "Oh well his most recent video was egregious, but he's never done it before!" when he has. I remember I made a point a year back about ES in regards to his Doom video where it was 2 minutes about Doom and 8 minutes about political shit and things other than Doom.
If memory serves, he spent most of the Doom video talking about the people who made the game and how their passion comes across in the game itself. So yeah, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Let me restate that I don't agree with everything Campster says, and his points about game design and individual games can be questionable, but I find it a bit ridiculous to attack him for his political leanings when those don't even come up in his videos most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom