Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a "re-announcement"? They just mentioned it. This is a throwaway tweet, call me when there's a trailer.

quaesta

Educated

Elder Scrolls 6: Todd Howard Admits Upcoming Sequel Could Be His Last

"If I do the math, I'm not getting any younger."​

Wesley Yin-Poole

By Wesley Yin-Poole

Updated: Jun 12, 2023 2:05 am

Posted: Jun 12, 2023 2:04 am

The Elder Scrolls 6 may be the last game in the fantasy series Todd Howard makes, the Bethesda boss has said. Speaking to IGN ahead of Starfield Direct, 52-year-old Howard discussed the length of time it takes for Bethesda Game Studios to make its games.

Starfield is Bethesda Game Studios’ first new intellectual property in over 25 years, and its first major release since Fallout 4 came out eight years ago in 2015.
While Bethesda Game Studios has grown bigger since those days, with four studios (Rockville, Montreal, Austin, and Dallas) set up and contracts with multiple partners in place, this expansion does not necessarily speed up development, Howard insisted.
The Elder Scrolls 6 was announced in 2018 with a teaser video, below. Howard has confirmed it will follow Starfield, although a release window has yet to be announced.

In a 2022 interview with IGN, Howard said Fallout 5 would be Bethesda Game Studios' next game after The Elder Scrolls 6, but he clarified that comment, saying now: “it [Fallout 5] will clearly be after Elder Scrolls 6 at some point… At some point in the future.”

What’s clear is Bethesda Game Studios titles take many years to develop, something Howard has bemoaned in the past. But Howard insists the most important thing is to give these games the time they need, pointing to the long gap between the launch of games like Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto as not negatively impacting their series.

“I think Half-Life 3 will do fine, right?” Howard said. “So even though in the moment, how do I bring that closer to reality today, because I want to play it, those gaps, these are still evergreen franchises that I think when they come, it's about just doing it right.

“I want to be faster, but speed isn't the goal.”

In that context, and with planned long-term support for Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6 in mind, Howard has begun to think about how many games he has left in him.

I want to be faster, but speed isn't the goal

“So our ability, like we talked about, to support Starfield... Whereas maybe in the old days, you would put it out and then you'd go on to a sequel, now we can support that game for a much longer period of time, which is what our plan is.

“And then as we look to an Elder Scrolls 6, that is one where... I probably shouldn't say this. But if I do the math, I'm not getting any younger. How long do people play Elder Scrolls for? That may be the last one I do. I don't know.”

Based on Bethesda’s track record for development timescales, The Elder Scrolls 6 may end up skipping the current generation of consoles entirely. It seems certain that whatever Bethesda Game Studios releases after The Elder Scrolls 6, whether it be Fallout 5 or something else, it will launch on Microsoft’s next-generation console. And after that? Assuming The Elder Scrolls 7 is a game Bethesda Game Studios intends to make, we could be looking at it coming out 20 years from now.

For more from Todd Howard, check out the interview in full. We’ve also got a roundup of Starfield Direct, and a Summer of Gaming 2023 schedule if you’re wondering what’s coming up next.
I'm sad because nobody else at BGS is as charming as Todd. He has a rags to riches story, the Usenet screenshots and memes that endure him to everyone. Even people who hate BGS still enjoy his stage presence. Nobody can fill in the hole he'll leave. https://youtu.be/mGfxRsNzunQ?t=223

quaesta

Educated
I'm sad because nobody else at BGS is as charming as Todd. He has a rags to riches story, the Usenet screenshots and memes that endure him to everyone. Even people who hate BGS still enjoy his stage presence. Nobody can fill in the hole he'll leave. https://youtu.be/mGfxRsNzunQ?t=223
Everyone else at the company treated CHA as a dump stat. Who will peddle their goyslop after he's gone?
Maybe Emil can do it. He invested a bunch on luck.

ADL

Prophet
You know the best thing about Todd retiring? Emil is the same age. I'm more optimistic for Elder Scrolls 7 than I am 6.

Fink

Novice
When Todd goes, it will be the final nail in bethesda's coffin. Now that even the most casual of retards realise that bethesda can't make good RPGs, Todd's charisma is the only reason people have any good feelings towards the company.

When Todd goes, it will be the final nail in bethesda's coffin. Now that even the most casual of retards realise that bethesda can't make good RPGs, Todd's charisma is the only reason people have any good feelings towards the company.
Starfield truly dealt a mortal blow to Bethesda. Now it's going to the grave. Oh well, should have dialed id for a better engine.

Fink

Novice
Starfield truly dealt a mortal blow to Bethesda. Now it's going to the grave. Oh well, should have dialed id for a better engine.
Starfield was a mortal blow, however the general gamers' trust in bethesda has been waning since Fallout 4, nearly ten years ago. FO76 didn't help, and now starfield.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Everyone else at the company treated CHA as a dump stat. Who will peddle their goyslop after he's gone?
They don't have Speech 100 and Personality 100 like Todd.
On a more serious note, it will be interesting to see just who will replace Todd when he finally retires.
Some corporate clown who will spew nothing but trivial and corporate approved statements?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Since every one of their game & writing of late could very well be ChatGPT generated, let actual ChatGPT be in charge.
ChatGPT could never attain the Olympian heights of Emil Pagliarulo's narrative hooks:
  • Fallout 3: You are searching for your father
  • TES V Skyrim: You are the Dragonborn
  • Fallout 4: You are searching for your son
  • Starfield: You are the Starborn
  • TES VI: You are searching for your spouse
  • Fallout 5: You are the Nukaborn
:stunned:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They don't have Speech 100 and Personality 100 like Todd.
On a more serious note, it will be interesting to see just who will replace Todd when he finally retires.
Some corporate clown who will spew nothing but trivial and corporate approved statements?

Age of major personality as the main driver for game development is dying

It will be CEO Corpo speak from now on

Look at all the modern games like those owned by EA and Ubisoft. When was the last time you hear people say "Goddamn this guy is leading this project? Is goona be guuuuud babeeeeh"?

Look at modern Bioware for example of how these mega-corp driven development going to be. From a studio with multiple iconic personalities to basically "who the fuck are these people?"

All the personalities we have today was visionary of 80s - 90s/early 2000s personality with none of the new name inspiring anything coming from the big studios.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since every one of their game & writing of late could very well be ChatGPT generated, let actual ChatGPT be in charge.
ChatGPT could never attain the Olympian heights of Emil Pagliarulo's narrative hooks:
  • Fallout 3: You are searching for your father
  • TES V Skyrim: You are the Dragonborn
  • Fallout 4: You are searching for your son
  • Starfield: You are the Starborn
  • TES VI: You are searching for your spouse
  • Fallout 5: You are the Nukaborn
:stunned:

Have you seen the Fallout TV series ? Guess the quest of the Vault Dweller.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Let's see:

ChatGPT 3.5

User
Write the story for fallout 5.

ChatGPT
Creating a detailed story for Fallout 5 would be a large endeavor, but I can sketch out a basic premise:

Title: Fallout 5: New Horizons

Setting: The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, decades after the events of Fallout 4, in a region previously unexplored in the Fallout universe.

Plot: The story revolves around a protagonist who emerges from a vault in the wake of a cataclysmic event that has reshaped the landscape. They find themselves in a region teeming with new factions, mutated creatures, and remnants of old civilizations.

As the protagonist ventures out into this new world, they encounter various factions vying for control, each with their own ideologies and goals. Some seek to rebuild society, while others embrace chaos and destruction.

Amidst this conflict, the protagonist discovers clues about the cause of the recent disaster and the potential for a brighter future. Along the way, they forge alliances, uncover ancient technology, and confront powerful adversaries.

Key Features:

Exploration: Players can traverse diverse landscapes, from ruined cities to untamed wilderness, uncovering hidden treasures and encountering dynamic events.
Faction Dynamics: Choices made by the player influence the balance of power between rival factions, shaping the world around them.
Customization: Deep character customization allows players to develop unique skills, abilities, and playstyles.
Companion System: Players can recruit companions with their own backstories and abilities, forming relationships that impact the narrative.
Moral Dilemmas: The game presents players with difficult choices that have far-reaching consequences, challenging their morality and values.
Ultimately, Fallout 5: New Horizons offers players the opportunity to explore a vast, immersive world filled with danger, intrigue, and the promise of a better tomorrow.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Let's see:

ChatGPT 3.5

User
Write the story for fallout 5.

ChatGPT
Creating a detailed story for Fallout 5 would be a large endeavor, but I can sketch out a basic premise:

Title: Fallout 5: New Horizons

Setting: The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, decades after the events of Fallout 4, in a region previously unexplored in the Fallout universe.

Plot: The story revolves around a protagonist who emerges from a vault in the wake of a cataclysmic event that has reshaped the landscape. They find themselves in a region teeming with new factions, mutated creatures, and remnants of old civilizations.

As the protagonist ventures out into this new world, they encounter various factions vying for control, each with their own ideologies and goals. Some seek to rebuild society, while others embrace chaos and destruction.

Amidst this conflict, the protagonist discovers clues about the cause of the recent disaster and the potential for a brighter future. Along the way, they forge alliances, uncover ancient technology, and confront powerful adversaries.

Key Features:

Exploration: Players can traverse diverse landscapes, from ruined cities to untamed wilderness, uncovering hidden treasures and encountering dynamic events.
Faction Dynamics: Choices made by the player influence the balance of power between rival factions, shaping the world around them.
Customization: Deep character customization allows players to develop unique skills, abilities, and playstyles.
Companion System: Players can recruit companions with their own backstories and abilities, forming relationships that impact the narrative.
Moral Dilemmas: The game presents players with difficult choices that have far-reaching consequences, challenging their morality and values.
Ultimately, Fallout 5: New Horizons offers players the opportunity to explore a vast, immersive world filled with danger, intrigue, and the promise of a better tomorrow.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Will it feature a diverse and inclusive cast of characters?
HONK HONK.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Maybe Todd will take lessons from Larian's succes and apply them to TESVI?

"See that Deathclaw in the distance? You can fuck it!"
Not likely.
He will probably just amp up the hype train.
"TESVI WILL HAVE SEVENTEEN TIMES THE DETAIL! IT'S UNBELIEVABLE! YOU CAN CRAFT ANYTHING!!"

Bulo

Scholar
Map that's twice the size of Skyrim's. 750,000 dialogue lines (three times that of Starfield!). Expanded settlement building. New skill system (note: not refined, just new. Probably worse, like Fallout 3 > 4.) New gimmick that has no connection to established lore, and is somehow universal because it needs to be accessible to all ten races. Dragons are now a permanent fixture of the setting

scytheavatar

Scholar
Maybe Todd will take lessons from Larian's succes and apply them to TESVI?

"See that Deathclaw in the distance? You can fuck it!"

Swen is open about how he is building towards his "very big RPG that will dwarf them all"...... how he still doesn't have all the tech to do that and Larian's next game is just taking steps towards his goal. Does Todd have the same goals of TESVI? It seems Starfield was already his dream game and the past TES/Fallout games were building towards it. So what happens now that Starfield has failed?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
NecroLord He said yes.
Absolutely! In line with modern gaming trends and the evolving landscape of storytelling, Fallout 5: New Horizons would strive to feature a diverse and inclusive cast of characters. This would include characters of various races, genders, sexual orientations, and backgrounds, reflecting the rich tapestry of humanity. Each character would be fleshed out with their own unique personalities, motivations, and story arcs, adding depth and richness to the game world. Additionally, the game would aim to handle diversity and inclusion respectfully and authentically, ensuring that all players feel represented and included in the gaming experience.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
NecroLord He said yes.
Absolutely! In line with modern gaming trends and the evolving landscape of storytelling, Fallout 5: New Horizons would strive to feature a diverse and inclusive cast of characters. This would include characters of various races, genders, sexual orientations, and backgrounds, reflecting the rich tapestry of humanity. Each character would be fleshed out with their own unique personalities, motivations, and story arcs, adding depth and richness to the game world. Additionally, the game would aim to handle diversity and inclusion respectfully and authentically, ensuring that all players feel represented and included in the gaming experience.
:bioware::bioware::bioware:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom