Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
DQ 11 has a troon companion but I like him... I've been pozzed :negative:
Who are you thinking of? I don't remember any troons. Unless homosexuals are now included.
Pretty much. It's just straight up the old japanese flamboyant gay trope.

There's like a million of em'.

turkishronin

Arcane
DQ 11 has a troon companion but I like him... I've been pozzed :negative:
Who are you thinking of? I don't remember any troons. Unless homosexuals are now included.
Pretty much. It's just straight up the old japanese flamboyant gay trope.

There's like a million of em'.
But he uses female manner of speech all the time and even girls treat her as a woman sometimes. Although Kamyu calls him old man.
Also his stage name "Silvya" is feminine.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dragon Quest III (Famicom)
image-jpeg-b02dbe8093fe38026e2efa24217f6345.jpg

I completed this just now.

Besides the Hero, I went with two Martial Artists and a Priest, and I had a blast with this party. The two Martial Artists started out pretty weak, but became extremely powerful during the middle and endgame (it was also nice to not have to spend any gold on them after the first few hours). I ended up completing the game at levels 38-41 depending on the character, with no need to grind for EXP or gold at all.

It starts out very linear, but opens up only after a few hours, and you're free to explore, gather information and clues, and solve the main quest of finding the orbs mostly in any order. The game of course becomes linear again toward the end.

One great thing about this game is that it does very little to "gate" your progress once the world opens up, as there are very few "boss" characters throughout the game.

I love the fact that low-level spells are effective even against endgame enemies. I got a ton of use out of the spells that cause sleep and silence, and even the spells that banish or kill enemies. It was actually pretty fun to figure out which enemies are susceptible to which spells. Combined with a very reliable run command, you have several tools to disable or avoid tough encounters.

Anyway, it was an amazing game all the way through. It basically does everything DQII does, but even better (with the exception imo of the soundtrack).

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So, way better than DQ2? I just bought DQ2 on my old iphone before i got cut off from net. I need to sync it to near gear when i hit library. I am curious how much easier the new ios version is compared to the NES version or famicom.

Mauman

Learned
Dragon Quest III (Famicom)
I completed this just now.

Besides the Hero, I went with two Martial Artists and a Priest, and I had a blast with this party. The two Martial Artists started out pretty weak, but became extremely powerful during the middle and endgame (it was also nice to not have to spend any gold on them after the first few hours). I ended up completing the game at levels 38-41 depending on the character, with no need to grind for EXP or gold at all.

It starts out very linear, but opens up only after a few hours, and you're free to explore, gather information and clues, and solve the main quest of finding the orbs mostly in any order. The game of course becomes linear again toward the end.

One great thing about this game is that it does very little to "gate" your progress once the world opens up, as there are very few "boss" characters throughout the game.

I love the fact that low-level spells are effective even against endgame enemies. I got a ton of use out of the spells that cause sleep and silence, and even the spells that banish or kill enemies. It was actually pretty fun to figure out which enemies are susceptible to which spells. Combined with a very reliable run command, you have several tools to disable or avoid tough encounters.

Anyway, it was an amazing game all the way through. It basically does everything DQII does, but even better (with the exception imo of the soundtrack).
My fave party for DQ3 was always hero, MA, priest (to sage), and jester (to sage). If playing the version with thieves then Thief to jester to sage. Yeah, it takes effort, but I consider the extra abilities in the remakes to be worth it. And double sages are always worth it.

Actually, the last time I played, I think I went Priest to MA, so I even my MA could do out of combat healing. The multiclassing in DQ3 was rather ahead of it's time.

edit - just realized I put "pilgrim" when I meant to say "sage

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Mauman
Thanks for that info. I liked the game enough that I'll probably play through the SFC remake at some point. I'll definitely pick a Thief for that. I didn't do any multiclassing in the FC version, so will probably play around with that, also.

Mauman

Learned
Mauman
Thanks for that info. I liked the game enough that I'll probably play through the SFC remake at some point. I'll definitely pick a Thief for that. I didn't do any multiclassing in the FC version, so will probably play around with that, also.
While it lacks the graphics, the GBA/GBC one has the most stuff (everything that the SFC version has plus a few more dungeons/items). Sadly, I can't recommend the mobile one because it actually takes OUT stuff like the board game mini-game. Some might consider that a good thing but I actually liked that mini game.

deuxhero

Arcane
I've said it before, but Thief is stupidly good in DQ3. Its an agility focused class in a game where agility determines defense, so it's actually the tankiest class in the game outside its below average (but not low) HP making it somewhat vulnerable to damage spells, it has good offense (which can be multi-target), and great utility stuff.

Mauman

Learned
I've said it before, but Thief is stupidly good in DQ3. Its an agility focused class in a game where agility determines defense, so it's actually the tankiest class in the game outside its below average (but not low) HP making it somewhat vulnerable to damage spells, it has good offense (which can be multi-target), and great utility stuff.
I imagine a soldier-to-thief would be quite the brutal fighter.

My only hangup about the thief at higher levels is that the Sage (of all classes) can equip all of the whip weapons and the ultimate hit-all weapon which makes me wonder if you'd be better off having a fighter become a sage if you wanted a badass whip character (because sages are awesome). Or a thief to sage for that matter.

edit - I just found out there's another DQ3 remake coming out (eventually, it seems to be in limbo right now). That intrigues me.

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
Main advantage of attack all weapons is they don't need MP or spells. They're just redundant on a sage who has both.
Yes and no.

That MP could just as easily be directed to healing and buffing.

Oh, and another problem with the thief. If you're playing the GBC game I'd really recommend not using one for a long period of time as stealing items directly interferes with getting monster medals and thus opening the final bonus dungeon.

That being said, I do agree that it's perfectly viable to take a thief all the way in the SFC version. Even if there are possibly better and more effective classes or class combos, getting more stat seeds or other rare items from stealing never truly goes out of style.

shaanghai

Literate
How do you deal with DQ XI being so easy? The combat, when you're actually forced to do it, just becomes so mindless. I don't remember DQ IX being like this but I might be wrong.

deuxhero

Arcane
Main advantage of attack all weapons is they don't need MP or spells. They're just redundant on a sage who has both.
Oh, and another problem with the thief. If you're playing the GBC game I'd really recommend not using one for a long period of time as stealing items directly interferes with getting monster medals and thus opening the final bonus dungeon.
Yes, but that's so much grinding fuckery even without a thief you should just cheat for them.

Mauman

Learned
Yes, but that's so much grinding fuckery even without a thief you should just cheat for them.
I....won't argue with that :D

the memory of me doing it legit makes me twitch a bit.

Then again, if I had serious problems with grinding, I probably wouldn't have played this game 4 times over 3 different versions and waiting for the next one to show up.

Mauman

Learned
<downloads dq5 onto phone out of boredom>

<decides to pick a bride beside Debora this time>

<still picks Debora>

sigh....I think I have a problem.

Mauman

Learned
<downloads dq5 onto phone out of boredom>

<decides to pick a bride beside Debora this time>

<still picks Debora>

sigh....I think I have a problem.
You bought or pirated it?
bought....

Makes up for the fact that my DS version....well....yeah

Let's just say I acquired it when I was a poor college student and leave it at that.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So, I was playing Dragon Quest 1 on ios and rescued the princess. I went to Kol and while holding the princess got a puff puff at the Baths, she didn’t even say anything. I then went to Brecconary and picked up the gal who follows you and went to the inn. Neither minded. Sadly, she won’t follow you to Kol so you can visit the bathhouse with both of them. No special text at all (missed programmed opportunity). I did run around the map fighting quite a few battles and repurchased keys. I even revisited where the princess was held captive. I’m surprised she didn’t yell at me. She has choice words when you decline to rescue her.

In short: No puff puff foursome, but Puff puff threesome with princess is possible (and she don’t complain). And threesome frolic in town with the other maiden & princess is also fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom