Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

People on the 'dex are defending this turd?

If it has shit combat, gameplay, exploration and shit story, how the fuck is anything salvageable?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Saps gonna sap. They were designed to believe whatever they're told, and if dozens of paid reviewers are saying this is the greatest game of all time, the saps are gonna believe it.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I played a bit more of this, tried following people's advice and sticking to the main questline which seems pretty standard for Bioware thus far. It's decent enough if that's what you like. However, the combat is so shit that for the first time I can recall I just turned down the difficulty to push through to next story node. Between that and the obscene number of pointless time sinks built into this game its just not fun. I was given a copy of this game and its not worth playing even for free. There are actually a number of ideas and mechanics present here that, if developed properly, could have been quite enjoyable - however, hours of forced tedium completely drown out that potential.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Let's talk numbers and spreadsheets, folks.
30 hours and I've experienced Knight Enchanter on Vivi. Who green-lighted this bullshit build?
She just regens barriers on hit, and has 3 buttons of awesome to spam over n over.
You can't lose. If you somehow lose members, use her Ultimate skill and revive everyone. Yippeeee.

And then I ditched daggers cause I got bored of hooking, and firing off the same 2-3 hotkey cycle over n over for 200-400 damage per pop at point blank.
Suddenly, Archery. Pew pew. 3000 crit. 1500 crit.

Hahah. What the fuck. :hahano:

The most head-scratching part was there's just no feeling of impact, arrow just sort of fly to the mark, silently hit, and red numbers pop out, instant red chunks of meat on the floor. I'm just glad this would clear areas much quicker than chasing fleeing mobs around on Vivi. Dorian AoE fear basically made them brainless chickens while I just press 1234 and occasionally hold left mouse button while stamina regenerate.

I'm playing on normal and this is my impression:
- I don't min-max that much, I only bought that LV 13 Purple Bow in Skyhold cause I got not much use for money.
- I don't upgrade potions much after I realized how boring it was to collect 30 elfroots.
- I just craft what I can and they're mostly not noticeable, cause I never had enough for the awesome stuff.
- There is a shop on Val Royeaux you can purchase a wide assortment of generic accessories like rings, belts and amulets. I just picked up a few +2% Crit Chance and not much else because they can never outperform the Skill +30% type rings you find. These skill +30% Rings are pretty brainless and does what it says. Hence spamming skill is the key to winning most battle. And since it makes your button awesome more awesome, there's not much incentive to spread your skill sets, you'll end up with a situation where you run out of hot-keys anyway (Max. is 8. Gamepad has limits.)
- Therefore I just focused on skills that make my button of awesome more awesome. Like poisoned weapons, critical result in sunders, the works. Tempest is perfect for this 'passive' bonus, cause Elixir of Fire grants no-stamina, no-cooldown for 5 seconds. Spam that longshot like crazy and enjoy at +15% damage bonus when your Elixir is active. Not many build can do 1000 dps like Archer does. It's laughable. The fact is has low dps doesn't matter, cause 600% Weapon Base Dmg from Longshot is going to fuck up anyone, anytime - add the railgun upgrade where anything in its path gets hit - it's pretty much an i-win button. And Full Draw that takes 3 second activation on 100% HP target is like 800% + 800% (on Full HP enemies)...what is there to think about? You win.

Malpercio

Arcane
Eh, I gotta be honest, I didn't see what was wrong with the Fade sequence in this. It was just "proceed ahead, kill enemies and maybe pick up optional items if you feel like". It wasn't a good level and kinda boring, but mostly inoffensive. Short too. Takes like what, 10 minutes?

DAO sequence... I had to remove it from my mind.

So it's good because it's short now.

>It's not a good sequence
>So it's good

That's not what I said.

It's not a "good" level, it's a 10 minutes sequence where you push ahead and kill stuff. I'd much rather do it rather than a "puzzle" sequence that takes 2 hours and it's borderline unplayable all through it.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
... although I am enjoying the game, the wasted potential is staggering. I do like the ending in the Fade though.

Initially I sacrificed Hawke, but then Varic gave me the sad story that reminded me of the "good old days", so I reloaded and sacrificed Loghain -- a shame since I always liked his character, his ability to escape death in my playthroughs, and liked the idea of the traitor Teyrn rising to become the commander of the Grey Wardens -- that ending makes me wonder if Hawke is going to become a Warden as an alternative way of redeeming himself for freeing Corpheus -- one more place for my Mage Hawke to overshadow Carver I guess

RK47

Patron
... although I am enjoying the game, the wasted potential is staggering. I do like the ending in the Fade though.

Initially I sacrificed Hawke, but then Varic gave me the sad story that reminded me of the "good old days", so I reloaded and sacrificed Loghain -- a shame since I always liked his character, his ability to escape death in my playthroughs, and liked the idea of the traitor Teyrn rising to become the commander of the Grey Wardens -- that ending makes me wonder if Hawke is going to become a Warden as an alternative way of redeeming himself for freeing Corpheus -- one more place for my Mage Hawke to overshadow Carver I guess

Well...
Canon wise, Loghain was not there. It was Stroud, a Grey Warden from Kirkwall for me. Alistair is king.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
DA has good lore? Since when?

Also, if I am bored, I'd rather do something else than even more boring fetch quests or cringe at terribad writing.

I've always found their mage/templar setup, fade demon thing and general world pretty interesting, myself. If you don't then hey, one less reason to trudge through 80 hours of MMO grind. No one's making you.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
ACbrFzP.gif

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You know the War Room would be good if it were a bit more evolved. Its clear they want to preserve a sense of your world state across games without inflicting an insurmountable workload on themselves. The simplicity of the mechanics and barebones presentation ruins the effect though; don't want to redesign and reprogram Orazammar to reflect the reign of King Bhelen? Fine, but at least give me a drawing or a series of drawings to append choices a little more involving than picking one of three tarot cards.

Well...
Canon wise, Loghain was not there. It was Stroud, a Grey Warden from Kirkwall for me. Alistair is king.

It could have been Alistair too if he stuck with the Wardens at the end of Origins.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, uhhhh, despite my better judgement I decided to give the game a whirl. Five minutes in to the intro I get a weird audio bug where the voices of certain characters loops over itself. A bit after that my character spontaneously changes his costume in a cutscene mid-fall, I find that I now have to fucking click each individual time I want my fucking character to swing his sword, and I check my inventory to find that I've got a bunch of rogue equipment.

Is the rest of the game as buggy as this? Because this is not a good first impression.

RK47

Patron
So yeah, uhhhh, despite my better judgement I decided to give the game a whirl. Five minutes in to the intro I get a weird audio bug where the voices of certain characters loops over itself. A bit after that my character spontaneously changes his costume in a cutscene mid-fall, I find that I now have to fucking click each individual time I want my fucking character to swing his sword, and I check my inventory to find that I've got a bunch of rogue equipment.

Is the rest of the game as buggy as this? Because this is not a good first impression.

You are eligible for refund within 24 hours of purchase.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The statement is fine for spoken conversation where context and body language is important and many shortcuts are taken when context and body language allow for them. The context is more than clear that she is talking about her friend owning a home on another coast. It is pretty clear that you aren't a native speaker since you keep complaining about stuff that is perfectly fine. There are plenty of examples of poor writing in DAI (or any other work that has multiple contributors and hundreds of thousands of lines) but you keep coming up with examples that don't really have any problems with them.

I can't wait to hear you continue to argue, again, with native speakers about how they don't know how the language that they speak every day is used.
Body language in party banter :D

Fanboys...

I do not need to be a native speaker of a language to spot mistakes in written or spoken text, or to criticize its style. What's needed for that is knowledge of grammar, syntax, phonetics, vocabulary, etc., depending on the mistakes. Conversely, being a native speaker in any language doesn't give the person a license in having the right over a person who isn't a native speaker in any argument on the same language's rules or style. Obviously some people need these things explained to them. When your best argument is "you are not a native speaker", you would have done better to stay quiet in the first place.

I think DA had a "so-so" lore somewhere in DAO, when its lore was making parallels with actual history. I found it more immersive, although for a wrong reason - their parallels with real-world history were superficial, but I found them fun, because when you know the cliches about real-world nations you can get somewhat more immersed and play a cliched character in a cliched Medieval pseudo-England. Later on I learned that almost everything in the lore that wasn't lifted from history (which I consider a legit source to lift things from) was lifted from various fantasy authors and I was disappointed.

Last edited:

aleph

Arcane
Body language in party banter :D

Fanboys...

I do not need to be a native speaker of a language to spot mistakes in written or spoken text, or to criticize its style.

Indeed, you don't need to be a native speaker to do that, but you need to know what you are talking about. However, the stuff you criticize is not only acceptable in speech but its meaning is completely clear to anyone who is fluent in English, native speaker or not. You come off as an uniformed idiot not because you are not a native English speaker but because of your semi-autistic approach to language.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom