Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Must explain why Codexers (from RPG codex) are always amongst the first purchasers and the ones who spam the most about the games. HAHAHA!

Zyryanoff

Literate
but they can't pull of a Vladimir Putin scale lie about the real state of things, word of mouth has to get them.
Offtop: And other politicians are honest? Don't make me laugh. It's their job - "lie to everybody and do business". Democracy is a myth for slaves.
And VVP publicly spoke out against the United States. That should be done long time ago. US military bases should be located in the US, and not all over the world.
The only saving grace is the somewhat competent cast and VA direction that didn't kill my eardrums, and the occasional nice looking place to visit with tedious activities.
Otherwise the whole setup, the game, the exploration, the crafting, the level up mechanics are mostly shit.
Damn! I like RPGcodex' reviews and your reviews especially.
It seems as if I had found the source of truth.:avatard:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, if the game was really off-putting enough I would have dropped it, like I did Witcher 2, which I still can't bring myself to start up. If they didn't claim this to be an rpg, I couldn't care less, but the fact is the defining features that keep me interested in playing it have nothing to do with what RPGs are about. So it's a shitty RPG, whteher it's a good something else, it has to be at least decent, if I keep playing it...

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I just finished the first act. there was this not-badly-directed moment where the priestess who's been hanging around starts to sing a hopeful song of resolve while the advisors are fighting, and the whole camp joins in. but the lyrics were -so bad.- the part of the refrain emphasized was "some day soon the dawn will come." SOME DAY IT WILL BE TOMORROW. please. seriously. could you mix your metaphors harder? and there's no meter or rhyme scheme. it's just a weird chant. really undermines the moment, which otherwise could've been really cool.

I think it also would've been more powerful if they'd tried to really stress ambient sound rather than having a lot of processing. make it actually sound like a ragtag band of survivors were singing together in the snow, rather than like a studio recording being pasted on a bunch of animate Kens and Barbies. nature of high fantasy, I guess. everything must be as fake as possible!

Slow James

Savant
So, this folks is the result of 3 years' development time and a budget in the seven-digit figures. For fuck's sakes, right? Honestly, I hope Bioware finally closes down after this failiure, and those creative geniuses find themselves on the same footing as some of the actually talanted game designers. It would provide me an inimitable perverse pleasure to see the likes of Gaider, Laidlaw, and Darrah, not to mention Cameron Lee be put out of a job and beg me for my money to finance their next Piramids of Giza of gaming. Oh yeah, it would! I wonder how much money would these losers raise on KS for the same concept and vision that they actually delivered with DAI.

Well in the general public it seems to be a hit, so I wouldn't call Bioware dead yet. Unfortunately.

I've been saying for quite some time that this will be their best selling game to date. Nothing I've seen so far has disabused me of this conclusion, despite my own complete lack of desire to buy it.

EDIT: And the budget was FAR above seven digits. Eight digits, I'd hazard between $20 and $50M, for both marketing and development.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll follow DAI's preformance as much as I can, I think even the general public can't be that dumb. Right...? I mean, ok, they paid off every remotely influential reviewer they could reach in the English-speaking world, apparently missed the German-speaking, hence 52/100 from 4players.de, but they can't pull of a Vladimir Putin scale lie about the real state of things, word of mouth has to get them. Even on the Bioware forums I see threads like "The game sucks". :) On the other hand, I don't have a base for comparison because I wasn't following the reaction to DA2 when it came out.

I don't think the average PS4 owner cares about shit like quest design and tactical combat. They're going to run around a while looking at the pretty and telling everyone at the office how awesome it is. Also 10 million people played WoW for a decade through the same shitty quests and empty landscapes. I don't have low expectations for their sales numbers, I bet it will beat DA2 by a mile. Whether it tops the original will be the interesting thing.

It won't come anywhere close to Skyrim though. It doesn't have the same fuck-around silliness factor and media hype.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'll follow DAI's preformance as much as I can, I think even the general public can't be that dumb. Right...? I mean, ok, they paid off every remotely influential reviewer they could reach in the English-speaking world, apparently missed the German-speaking, hence 52/100 from 4players.de, but they can't pull of a Vladimir Putin scale lie about the real state of things, word of mouth has to get them. Even on the Bioware forums I see threads like "The game sucks". :) On the other hand, I don't have a base for comparison because I wasn't following the reaction to DA2 when it came out.

I don't think the average PS4 owner cares about shit like quest design and tactical combat. They're going to run around a while looking at the pretty and telling everyone at the office how awesome it is. Also 10 million people played WoW for a decade through the same shitty quests and empty landscapes. I don't have low expectations for their sales numbers, I bet it will beat DA2 by a mile. Whether it tops the original will be the interesting thing.

It won't come anywhere close to Skyrim though. It doesn't have the same fuck-around silliness factor and media hype.

The lack of mods will probably kill the hype in a month or two once all the global inquisitors have unlocked every single damn thing in the game and found the final boss a pushover.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The lack of mods will probably kill the hype in a month or two once all the global inquisitors have unlocked every single damn thing in the game and found the final boss a pushover.

Mods don't mean fuck-all on consoles, or even to most PC players I would guess. Skyrim's success being put in the lap of mods has always been a massive fallacy.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Mods don't mean fuck-all on consoles, or even to most PC players I would guess. Skyrim's success being put in the lap of mods has always been a massive fallacy.
Mmmm. Perhaps so.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

According to this http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/ modding seems to be very crucial for games.Can't see one game in that top 20 that is not moddable.For Skyrim I think it just tipped it to that 20 mil units status.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
According to this http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/ modding seems to be very crucial for games.Can't see one game in that top 20 that is not moddable.For Skyrim I think it just tipped it to that 20 mil units status.

There's no real information out there to say how many PC players use mods in a game like Skyrim, but I can say for a fact Skyrim sold a lot more copies on consoles and there are zero mods available there. Whether we like it or not that game sold like crazy due to the out-of-the-box gameplay.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
This cannot be legit.
It HAS to be a photoshop smear job.
No professional developer can be THAT incompetent. Right?

P.S.: do Bioware really use that rainbow banner? I mean, seriously??! They use it FOR REAL?
This banner actually was on their site. Appeared during some oftheir "fag appreciation days" or something.

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
PTiKPZE.jpg

Graham Kelly environment artist at Bioware said:
"I hid it under the level. You weren't meant to fall through it"

Let them eat cock cake indeed

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

There's no real information out there to say how many PC players use mods in a game like Skyrim, but I can say for a fact Skyrim sold a lot more copies on consoles and there are zero mods available there. Whether we like it or not that game sold like crazy due to the out-of-the-box gameplay.

The thing mods give you is life. Or rather a continue cause for a game to be talked about. Yes it might sell more on consoles, but that is only helped by the fact that the game never leaves the general population and you more or less have free advertisement for your game for a longer period of time.

Zeriel

Arcane
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. LOL WTF! :D

Yeah, the "and this is the part where we burst into song!" bit pissed me off. It's not often I'm aggressively rolling my eyes and literally giving my monitor the double middle finger treatment alone, in the comfort of my home (it's usually reserved for Hearthstone), but this got that from me. Holy fucking shit, it's like Bioware has no self-awareness at all. How did a team of developers write, script, and animate that scene without someone cringing and saying, "Okay, maybe we go a different route here guys?"

Turjan

Arcane
Holy fucking shit, it's like Bioware has no self-awareness at all. How did a team of developers write, script, and animate that scene without someone cringing and saying, "Okay, maybe we go a different route here guys?"
That's probably mostly addressed at the American public. They are used to scenes like that, in a completely unironic way.

Zeriel

Arcane
Holy fucking shit, it's like Bioware has no self-awareness at all. How did a team of developers write, script, and animate that scene without someone cringing and saying, "Okay, maybe we go a different route here guys?"
That's probably mostly addressed at the American public. They are used to scenes like that, in a completely unironic way.

But I grew up in the United States, was supposedly shaped by its cultural mores. Why do scenes like that make me experience this overwhelming feeling of empathetic embarassment? It's like I want to stop Bioware before they ever made it, pull it aside, and say to them, "There's another way."

Canucks, though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom