Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow, up until a few weeks ago this game seemed to be DOA on the Codex but instead a lot of ppl enjoy this, apparently.

Drat, first time in years I'd actually torrent a game just to see what's what...

Well, it looks I'm really gonna buy it after all. Daymn, Denovo works.

That's not my reading of the thread. It's the same 2 people who have been generally positive or wanting-to-like-it since the beginning. (Not begrudging their opinion, by the way.)

No offence mate, but arguing that someone isn't doing it right shouldn't normally be intertwined with an agreement that the combat is indeed shit. I don't think you really grasp the concept of what people say when they say "you're not doing it right". But, yes, in it's current state and as the game currently plays (mostly talk with some shit combat) then it's probably best to play on easy settings just for the story faggotry.

With regards to your other point, expectations are Bioware's biggest personal plot-hole. They actively promoted the game would be PC focused with strong tactical combat. To then blame the purchaser for having false expectations is beyond incredulity.

No offense taken, i agree the problem with this game is it being advertised as tactical and for PC . Watching the pre releases videos it was obvious its not, and all of their precious games are not anymore either, thats why they will be trashed on metacritic and sales wont be stellar . Had they the honesty to tell that it was a console action game with an interactive story and the pc was not their focus things would be different.

The other criticisms are exagerated ,story is good its not loaded with gay activism and romances.Characters arent that ugly, they made it closer to real people, i see worse outside in the streets than sera ...Remember in mass effect 3 they said they made miranda not perfect on purpose, well they pushed it even more far. DA I npc companons are not top models but at least some are sympathic , the bickering between varic and cassandra is funny.
wait til you find out what cassandra is reading in her spare time :lol:

i agree they should stop giving false hope for pc players and simply go full action crpg. I wouldnt mind since i dont see today any developer capable of creating Badurs Gate 3. Just fucking deal with it :cry:

Unfortunately Laidlaw is not fucking Hideaki Itsuno so combat in DA will never be as good as in Dragons Dogma but it would be better than that weird mix we got in DAI. Half assed tactical view/kb+m controlls but also not that tight controls/animations in 3rd person view.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, up until a few weeks ago this game seemed to be DOA on the Codex but instead a lot of ppl enjoy this, apparently.

Drat, first time in years I'd actually torrent a game just to see what's what...

That's not my reading of the thread. It's the same 2 people who have been generally positive or wanting-to-like-it since the beginning. (Not begrudging their opinion, by the way.)

Codexers - good at RPGs, horrible at appraising crowd opinions

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well it's 430 pages, I just skipped through the few dozen at the end tail but considering it's a triple A game AND from Beware to boot it's generally getting nowhere near the amount of mob lynching I've learned to expect from Codex.

Compare to threads like ME3, Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Zeriel

Arcane

Well it's 430 pages, I just skipped through the few dozen at the end tail but considering it's a triple A game AND from Beware to boot it's generally getting nowhere near the amount of mob lynching I've learned to expect from Codex.

Well, it can't be pirated, so the amount of people who actually can play the game in the first place is much smaller. Don't know what to say, though, there's been a steady avalance of negative commentary in this thread since it released. Tailing off after the first day because a lot of people gave up or had already said all they had to about the game, but it's there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I still think it's overall a shit game but it's surprisingly playable if you sink into the monotony it's pushing. Play a ranged class if you want to like the combat at all, though.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It could be improved tenfold if it wasn't so grindy. It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be a Bioware game or Kingdoms of Amalur.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Dragon Age Origins had fans here... Bioware releases DA 2 = Rage
ME 2 had fans here... Bioware releases ME 3 = Rage
Morrowind had fans here... Bethesda releases Oblivion = Rage
Fallout 1 and 2 had fans here... Bethesda releases Fallout 3 = Rage
Thief 1 and 2 had fans here... Japs release Thiaf = Rage
DA 2 had fans here?...Bioware releases Dragon Age Inquisition = Heh... could be better, could be worse.

You see, there is the lacking of the rage and humiliation from a post rape victim on this thread.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
non-native speakers lecturing native speakers on the subtleties of their language, just a normal day on the Codex

And as everybody knows, just being a native speaker automatically makes you an expert in all conceivable nuances and even linguistics concerning your native language...

Yes it does.
It's funny how lots of people believe that. Apparently there are levels of dumb beyond "bought Dragon Age Inquisition". The argument "I'm a native speaker so I know this language's grammar perfectly" is the same as old folks saying "You don't know nothing about those times, I lived then!" Or demanding to be considered an expert on history of late 20th century Engalnd because you were born in England in the mid-70ies.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I'm... enjoying it.

Just about everything that's been said here about it is true. The blatant pandering is blatant. The combat is easy and tactics amount to "Challenge" with your tank, then clobber with your damagers (plus some simple rock-paper-scissors damage type vs defense thing). The writing goes right through bad and out the other side. The world is generic-fantasy-land. Most of the sidequests are "find 5 of this" or "follow the quest compass" or whatever. There's farming, grinding, waiting for missions to complete, and so on.

Yet somehow despite checking all the wrong boxes, the damn thing manages to be fun.

Why?

First, the world feels hand-crafted and detailed, and there's lots of stuff in it. Reuse of assets is not painfully obvious, the environments make some kind of sense and communicate something about why the things that are there are there and in what order, from pretty neat geological things, to plants and animals, to ancient ruins, to modern ruins, to modern habitations, camps, and what have you. It manages to be believable in a way that few games do. It reminds me of Gothic in this way, and I really liked that about Gothic.

Second, the very simple, very brute-force "Inquisition" idea that ties all that fetch-and-carry together. You're not clearing out some wolves and bandits because some farmer asked you; you're doing it because they're stopping you from moving resources you need from the farmer to your base. There's not a whole lot of system underneath it, but there's just enough to make all that busywork into something bigger.

Third, no level scaling. You can easily bumble into a fight that's way out of your league, with a beastie that will do a TPW in about four attacks. Or a fight that's juuust winnable if you play your cards right. There's a sense of danger that's been almost completely absent from mainstream RPG's since... Gothic I suppose (although this isn't nearly as punishing as Gothic).

Fourth, reactivity. There's a surprising amount of nods to my "world state" and my character race/sex/class, both mechanically and in dialog, and there appear to be some actual mutually exclusive choices when resolving some conficts too. Nothing groundbreaking, but enough to make it not feel like Oblivion's completely linear "master of all guilds" thing.

Seriously. I would never have thought I'd like this, and by rights I really shouldn't like it, but dammit I do. It's a weird Frankenstein monster of a game that is made from rotting pieces of hanged murderers and absolutely should not be able to even twitch, but it's somehow gotten itself into a corset and heels and is singing a rousing rendition of Il Dolce Suono.

WTF BioWare?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of rage is subdued simply because it hasn't been pirated yet. The best way to troll and rage is through pirating, if you have to buy something it's a different story that you spent $60 on. It can't be that bad right.... right.... I mean I payed for it, surely it's not THAT bad, I'm not stupid enough to buy a turd hahaha....ha....vomit.

Rake

Arcane
Characters arent that ugly, they made it closer to real people, i see worse outside in the streets than sera ...
No one forces me to talk to these ugly people in RL, let alone spent time with them. But in DAI you are forced to take these things with you as companions...
no that all characters look ugly, but the ones that do... Jesus

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how lots of people believe that. Apparently there are levels of dumb beyond "bought Dragon Age Inquisition". The argument "I'm a native speaker so I know this language's grammar perfectly" is the same as old folks saying "You don't know nothing about those times, I lived then!" Or demanding to be considered an expert on history of late 20th century Engalnd because you were born in England in the mid-70ies.

When it comes to unique colloquialisms they don't teach in an English book but that are used in everyday speech a native speaker is going to trump you every time. I can't believe you're still acting like you know better than us whether that dialog was okay. You're making yourself look reallllllly stupid.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
To sum DAI up:
B3jKSuGIQAAj8Aa.jpg:large

Are those text from game or did someone photoshopped the text? I am not sure, if this is genuine or fake text....

I am pretty sure that is in the game. I have not seen it, but it fits into here special persona.

Special as in window licking 'special'?

Everytime I read a post in this thread my impressions of this just get worse. Surely Bio (and their fucking fans) just can't get any lower. They'll be crawling about on their bellys soon.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Everytime I read a post in this thread my impressions of this just get worse. Surely Bio (and their fucking fans) just can't get any lower. They'll be crawling about on their bellys soon.

Well, eh, Bioware and its fans have gone so low they've evolved into a mutant race of mole people.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is alright though. Not Shadowrun: Dragonfall quality, but okay.

kris

Arcane
I am pretty sure that is in the game. I have not seen it, but it fits into here special persona.

Long story short. Most characters are okay. Sera is downright awful and had I been the lead for this game I would never have accepted something that bad.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok, I activated the Cassandra romance... it was fucking worth it.
Saying the writing is at the same level as young/adult romance novels is an understatment. And even persuing a romance, you can't get rid of the stupid fetch quests! "In order to conquer Cassandra's heart, go fetch this three objects, because not even when you want to see cringewohrty dialog and akward cutscenes we will allow you to not waste your time with pointless activities".

I'm going to start continuing the main quest pretty soon, because my enjoyment playing the game is at minimum right now, but because i want to specialize, I've got to fetch more useless garbage in order to do so! Seriously messed up design here.

That guy give it 9/10.

:what:

Why are you surprised?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of rage is subdued simply because it hasn't been pirated yet. The best way to troll and rage is through pirating, if you have to buy something it's a different story that you spent $60 on. It can't be that bad right.... right.... I mean I payed for it, surely it's not THAT bad, I'm not stupid enough to buy a turd hahaha....ha....vomit.

Some people play with the music on.
Those people get indoctrinated.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You people know nothing. Last argument was bowstrings.
Bowstrings should be in the game.
Scabbards too but I would think that an actually fun combat takes precedence.
Why do you think they would do fun combat when they wouldn't make bowstrings?
there are bowstrings in game

also

6IRTYdk.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2nmux3/now_it_feels_like_da1_daino_spoilers/

someone needed 6 hours to do it :lol::lol::lol:

Ohh, me want. O_O

Probably it gets messed up in the dungeons, but this view and proper camera controlls is what this game desperately needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom