Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The decline - a myth?

Black

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Black said:
Cool pics nfn, I've played many X-Com wannabies, 2 of which are on your pics and guess what?
Inferior wannabies are inferior.
Have you tried the Gold version of UE? I heard it's more like the original.
I did, it's quite okay and it's obvious they tried to make it as X-Com-y as they could but also failed in some aspects. Only one real base, alien base missions being pain in the ass, skill system allows you to max accuracy or any other stat after like ~4 missions (and that's without exploiting).
Still, if you've played the fuck out of X-Com and TFTD I'd try it out.

kris

Arcane
thesisko said:
The Decline <=> Butthurt fanboys crying about their "beloved" developers/franchises/IP selling out to the mainstream market, while continuing to buy their games.

Right, everyone here buys games and play them. Which obviously is a made up lite.

Is clear that most games is made into a cinematic shooter and that strategy games is the only business still staying true.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
Decline is a myth. But for a different reason.

The reason is hypocrisy.

The majority of the Codex is console gamers. Yet they moan about dumbing down while supporting it.

Many on the Codex buy from Steam. Yet they moan about DRM becoming more and more common everywhere.

So where is the decline when some faggot bitches about how console games have turned gaming into shit and then proceeds to buy all Mass Effect 2 DLCs?

BRO STOP STOP STOP STOP

YOU PLAYED KOTOR SEVEN TIMES YOU ARE THE CONSOLEFAG EQUIVALENT OF ELTON JOHN BLOWING PEREZ HILTON WITH LADA GAGA AND MADONNA APPLAUDING AND BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THE WIRED THING IS THAT YOUR POST WAS REALLY INTROSPECTIVE

ARE YOU SARCASIC OR ARE YOU TROLLING US AND WILL I EVER BE SOBER ENOUGH TO TEL THE DIFFERNCCE BRO LIKE JERRY MCGUIRE YOU HAD ME AT HELLO

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
kris said:
Is clear that most games is made into a cinematic shooter and that strategy games is the only business still staying true.

So? Do you have to play those games? Who the fuck cares if some cinematic shooter sells 25 million copies. Is it "decline" just because stupid games designed for the mass market now have the highest production values and are hyped by the gaming "media"?

Did you miss that some fairly complex games are also doing well and getting sequels (Risen, STALKER). I'd say we've seen some fairly decent RPG's in the past few years that also did well financially (even MotB outdid sales expectations according to Obsidian). Witcher was well received on the Codex and sold well, Risen and Divinity 2 have been nice surprises etc. And this is just the RPG genre.

Hell, for the first time in history we even a mainstream action-RPG that's sold millions without being totally brainless (New Vegas).

kris

Arcane
thesisko said:
kris said:

So? Do you have to play those games? Who the fuck cares if some cinematic shooter sells 25 million copies. Is it "decline" just because stupid games designed for the mass market now have the highest production values and are hyped by the gaming "media"?

I am sorry, but I said none of those things, you did. I said all games turn into this, meaning there is little else choice. Except for strategy games.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
MetalCraze said:
thesisko said:
The Decline <=> Butthurt fanboys crying about their "beloved" developers/franchises/IP selling out to the mainstream market, while continuing to buy their games.

The dude may be a moron but he's right here.

Remember how you lot bitched about how Beth raped Fallout?

Then many went and bought F3. Spammed the Codex for a month about how "Bethesda is improving" then when month passed proceeded to shit and piss on Todd and Pete again. Then F3NV came out. Even more of morons went and bought it. And yet continued to piss and shit on Bethesda while fapping to F3NV which is exactly like F3.

I for one never bitched about Bethesda's hiking simulators of recent. Sure, Oblivion was ass but Fallout 3 was an obvious improvement: they need to work on dialog or simply avoid it, but otherwise I enjoyed Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas is even better. I don't think there is a decline in the gaming industry: bad games are simply more obvious than in the past as bad video games have always existed. The only difference is that bad games tend to sell better nowadays due to dumbing down the difficulty of the game and making it appeal to as many people as possible. Also, bad games are simply more transparent than they were in the past due to video gaming becoming a more socially acceptable hobby. It's also possible that the Codex is blinded by nostalgia to a small degree. Furthermore, the Codex is likely more informed about bad games, which gives the illusion of there being more bad games.

And guess what? When a less declining game comes out like Divinity 2 or Risen what happens? Nothing. Morons barely even notice their existence but keep singing their song about "decline".

Divin wha and Ris who? :smug:

1eyedking

Erudite
Yes, decline is very true.

MetalCraze said:
Then many went and bought F3. Spammed the Codex for a month about how "Bethesda is improving" then when month passed proceeded to shit and piss on Todd and Pete again. Then F3NV came out. Even more of morons went and bought it. And yet continued to piss and shit on Bethesda while fapping to F3NV which is exactly like F3.
I wouldn't say exactly like F3, but pretty much.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
1eyedking said:
Yes, decline is very true.

MetalCraze said:
I wouldn't say exactly like F3, but pretty much.

F:NV is what Fallout 3 should have been, though even Fallout 3 had potential. A couple simple changes could have been done to make Fallout 3's main story much better:

- Get rid of Liam Nelson. The father figure sucked ass.
-Get rid of the new Stupid Mutants. Breaks lore.
- Fix the plot holes without Broken Steel.
- Change the story to the water supply of Vault 101 being contaminated. The Over-seer has you find the supposed "purifier" that scientists at Rivet City have worked on.
- Change the plot of the Enclave to be actively contaminating the water and then trying to take the purifier as a political move in the area: they can't do a full-scale battle due to their limited resources.

That's it. Just a few of those changes would have made the main story significantly better. I liked the purifier as a plot device, but the execution was horrible.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Trash said:
What happened is that gaming went from a niche hobby for and by nerds to a full blown entertainment industry in just two decades.
There were popular consoles like Nintendo long time ago. What really declined gaming was the runaway development cost and publishers and American store chains turning away from niche games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom