Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death, Turn- and Party-based RPG - Kickstarter Now Live

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Turns out some members of the Codex are no better than CoD fanboys, buying the same crap they've already played over and over and over and over and over...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are so many TB RPGs that I can buy them over and over and over and over? Please point me in their direction so that I can enlarge my game collection.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I was gonna say, at least Call of Duty's get released.

And:

Such dashing Codex buzzwords on this pitch, almost too close to the mark. Shut up and take my DORRAS!

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Pledged. I have this deja vu again, like with couple of projects that just made it on the finish line (Eisenwald, Conquistador, Sui Generis). I really hope this ends up being funded ultimately, but they need some coverage in the next weeks and frequent, interesting updates or they are doomed.

About the pitch. I liked it. Not the greatest pitch video in Kickstarter history, but certainly not bad.They showed a lot. Much more than most of Kickstarters. Really have no idea why someone would call it "horrible".

Would be cool if Codex come up with some coherent interview for example. Also RPS could boost pledges. It annoys me as fuck that all those big projects get every day coverage in every single outlet, with nothing new to add and very often just repeating themselves over and over again. And yet they have no interest in putting single news post for some of the more promising indie titles (like this one for example or Chaos Chronicles).

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I jumped in with 20 pounds, although i'm certainly more than a little cautious. On one hand they push many of the right buttons, but at the same time they rely on shallow buzzwords a lot.

Oh, and some of the stuff they're saying is downright cringeworthy:
  • Epic Achievements.
I guess the next updates are the key. I can always pull out of this if they continue in that particular direction.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It looks like well done 3D to me. It's definitely possible (although never better than 2D isometric) but it looks like a much better implementation than similar games.

Indeed it looks pretty good for 3D, you know why ? Because this guy apparently figured out how to make a decent looking 3D "isometric" game with camera movement. The trick is to make wide areas without too much crap blocking the view. And all these areas shown here are indoor... basically the opposite of the craptacular area design of NWN2. Wasteland 2 could also take some cues, its indoor areas seemed quite narrow and cluttered and required constant camera adjustment from the user.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are so many TB RPGs that I can buy them over and over and over and over? Please point me in their direction so that I can enlarge my game collection.
Please check the 80s and 90s, revivals such as ToEE, PoR:RoMD, KoTC, S&S:Underworld, Chaos Chronicles, other Kickstarter projects, and this. It's not the ~combat style~ I'm objecting to, rather this fetish with boring fantasy settings with swords and crap.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Please check the 80s and 90s, revivals such as ToEE, PoR:RoMD, KoTC, S&S:Underworld, Chaos Chronicles, other Kickstarter projects, and this. It's not the ~combat style~ I'm objecting to, rather this fetish with boring fantasy settings with swords and crap.
I'm sure many here object to your fetish with Josh Sawyer. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are literally dozens of posts where I've referred to that setting as Dullsville and Plainshit.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

So, what, you suggest boycotting all CRPGs with fantasy settings? I'm pretty sure everyone would like to see different settings, but that hardly means all fantasy CRPGs are pure garbage that don't deserve the light of day. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, the setting would weight fairly heavy, but still can't be the end all be all, as shit games can be in great settings as well as standard fare fantasy settings.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm surprised by the enthusiasm in this thread, you guys are really going soft on anything with Turn-Based. Looks very generic (with crappy UI) to me. Compared to other KS it seems lacking to be honest. It has neither the KoDP elements and gorgeous art style of The Banner Saga, nor the setting and 2D of Shadowrun, or the "managing a group of survivors" component of Dead State.

They still have the entire campaign to show us more than a wizard casting slow-mo fire balls in TB to impress us, so let's wait and see, but I really don't see any reason to pledge at this point.

Stabwound

Arcane
Nah, I'm sick of generic fantasy too. Even Amalur that went to the effort of writing thousands of year of lore to the backstory ended up with elves and goblins by different names. :roll:

I'm far more sick of D&D and the Forgotten Realms rather than generic fantasy. I think even Project Eternity sounds like decent fantasy because it's adding some supernatural type elements, too.

I'm looking forward to games like Numanera/Torment because of the great, unique setting never used in a CRPG before. Dead State is cool too, with its Fallout-like with zombies instead of mutants and radscorps.

Wasteland 2 is cool with the post apocalyptic setting that's supposed to feature urban decay and forests growing up where buildings used to be., which is never really shown in post-apocalyptic games. I'd prefer something other than post apocalyptic and generic fantasy, but post apocalyptic isn't too overdone yet.

Mortmal

Arcane

If you had told me 2 years ago we would see classic kind of rpg i would have laugh. Decades with nothing at all... I am rather happy to get something similar to TOE again(2003.. 10 years already)). Its generic fantasy, i even told the dev on the frist thread here that the plot seems very cliché and generic , yet i expect some entertainement out of it .

I prefer to see some rpg with new settings, like savage worlds, wild west for exemple, or completely new alien ones, but except torment thats not happening . Maybe one of those new guys when they are successfull will try to do it. Its really gambling, its either that or they go bioware way . I still think backing new team projects even if the projectsare not exactly what we want better than moaning decline and playing nothing.

SearchEngine

Learned
I know I'm probably butchering what he said, but I'm all for the Hitchcock's viewpoint on that it's okay to use cliches, as long as you make them fresh enough.

DeepOcean

Arcane
While Roguey is evidently trolling, the game indeed looks a bit generic. At the moment, it looks like a low budget ToEE. ToEE had a very good turn based combat system, but knowing that the combat is going to be turn based isn't enough, the only way to know if the combat is good is by playing it or with a in depth explanation of the system. Autoloot should release a combat demo or explain in detail the combat system on the kickstarter updates, thing like attacks of opportunity, weapons reach, armor system, sneak attacks, special attacks, damage system and etc. There is no need for economy of words on the updates. They could explain the spell system as well, if the spell system is going to be standard fantasy RPG with spells like fireball, magic missile or if they are going to innovate in this area with a less traditional spell system with more creative spells. Men, I really want a game with a spell system that allows crazy necromancy spells, summon an army of skeletons and do evil shit with the living.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The setting looks like the most generic, derivative fantasy there is. You start with a Human an Elf, a Dwarf and a Halfling - you will play the story with them all as they are a fellowship. Come on...at least try to be fucking creative.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nothing wrong with classic fantasy every once in awhile. After seeing way too many projects that try to be creative but turn out to be just the familiar tropes with a new name (Dragon Age anyone) I for one do not mind a classic dungeon delving setting and game. Let's be honest here, it's not as if we're awash in ToEE clones.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:roll:
Abel Bascuñana - Writer & Game Designer: Professional projects: Age of Conan (Funcom), Warhammer Online (GOA), Dragon City (Social Point), Social Empires (Social Point)

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stalyan said:
- Spanish Community Coordinator
Funcom
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

- Spanish Community Manager
GOA (Orange)
Spanish CM for Warhammer Online (developed by EA Mythic)

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is that like being a GM?

Sort of. It's that guy answering on the forums, speaking with the local media for his country, and creating feedback reports for the company. Not exactly a developer job, or one who asks for great skills in game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom