Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
The hardware for these games is what? 6+ years old? It's to be expected.

no it fucking isn't. Blade of friggin Darkness had better lighting almost 15 goddamn years ago (more dynamic, natural and dynamic light sources weren't limited to braziers, bonfires and torches.. and the shadows didn't look as jagged as a staircase). 15!

and they hyped the new lighting and torches and fucks were given about it for the longest time ever since the first gameplay vids surfaced. now the game is out and not only it looks considerably worse than what we saw in previews, but because of the new simple lighting model, torches are borderline useless unless you fuck up your gamma/brightness on purpose. and now i ask, why is it ok for From to do it, but not for gearbox or CA or pretty much everybody else who did it and codex bashed it? it's a shitty move on their part and you know it.. and no "lol u care abot grafix in Solz game" bullshittery will change it

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

Piece of shit, and the hardware argument doesn't fly because all these demo's were played on consoles.

This screams canned demo, i feel they didn't have the time/budget to make the rest of the game shape up with similar production values.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you're butthurt about graphics, just wait for the PC version. All that pre-release footage is probably from a PC anyway. And while it doesn't look as good as it does in the trailers, it still looks way better than Dark Souls and has some breathtaking views.

Also, talk about torches being useless is bullshit. It's not pitch dark without them, but the game is full of enemies hidding or faking dead, and you won't spot those without a torch.

Steve

Augur
That looks awful, one can only hope they used the PC version for promo material.

Kanedias

Savant
Kanedias So, how about them torches? Unnecessary or not?(In your opinion, of course.)

It depends on what brightness you use and the area in particular, I found torches useful personally, but it seems many people play at max brightness to not rely on them or something. You can see without the torch but you may miss stuff or die to gravity.

As for that screenshot, I didn't reach that place yet, but the game doesn't look that bad in all the areas I've been to.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
no it fucking isn't. Blade of friggin Darkness had better lighting almost 15 goddamn years ago (more dynamic, natural and dynamic light sources weren't limited to braziers, bonfires and torches.. and the shadows didn't look as jagged as a staircase). 15!

and they hyped the new lighting and torches and fucks were given about it for the longest time ever since the first gameplay vids surfaced. now the game is out and not only it looks considerably worse than what we saw in previews, but because of the new simple lighting model, torches are borderline useless unless you fuck up your gamma/brightness on purpose. and now i ask, why is it ok for From to do it, but not for gearbox or CA or pretty much everybody else who did it and codex bashed it? it's a shitty move on their part and you know it.. and no "lol u care abot grafix in Solz game" bullshittery will change it

Well I guess if you think they misled you on purpose there's reason for outrage. Do you think they misled you on purpose?

Kanedias

Savant
Sadly I have no way to take screenshots, but the areas I've been to (Things Betwixt, Majula, No Man's Wharf, Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's Tower of Flame, Lost Bastille, Sinner's Rise, Huntsman's Copse and I may be forgetting more) actually have very good lighting, much better than the one seen in those screenshots. There's only one (Shaded Forest) that I don't like, but it's more a problem of the art design than a problem with lighting in particular.

I'll report again when I reach the area in the screenshot, but I don't believe it will be that bad, because the parts of the game I've been to look nowhere close. I think some people may be just taking screenshots with max gamma or something.

toroid

Arcane
Sadly I have no way to take screenshots, but the areas I've been to (Things Betwixt, Majula, No Man's Wharf, Forest of Fallen Giants, Heide's Tower of Flame, Lost Bastille, Sinner's Rise, Huntsman's Copse and I may be forgetting more) actually have very good lighting, much better than the one seen in those screenshots. There's only one (Shaded Forest) that I don't like, but it's more a problem of the art design than a problem with lighting in particular.

I'll report again when I reach the area in the screenshot, but I don't believe it will be that bad, because the parts of the game I've been to look nowhere close. I think some people may be just taking screenshots with max gamma or something.

Yep. Dark areas outside of your near sphere of visibility are fucking dark without a torch. That screenshot has to be bullshit. (By bullshit I mean they have their brightness set way way too high.)

DragoFireheart

Yep. Dark areas outside of your near sphere of visibility are fucking dark without a torch. That screenshot has to be bullshit. (By bullshit I mean they have their brightness set way way too high.)

Yeah something smells like bullshit. Will wait to see and play for myself. Maybe someone is trolling us.

AngryEddy you spreading those screenshots around? :troll:

toroid

Arcane
Maybe this is what the patch fixed? All I know is that there are areas where it's so dark you can't see more than 15 feet in front of you, and the torch does cast shadows.

DragoFireheart

Respawning loot:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/208e5g/items_respawning_in_majula_talk_of_burning_items/

So I was playing a diff character for a while, burnt two ascetics and two sublime bone dusts, found a bit later that all the loot in Majula had respawned for some reason, pretty sweet.

I haven't been able to replicate this on my new character, anyone know how to actually respawn the loot? Thanks!

Patch fixes graphic/lighting issues:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/...other_playing_if_you_cant_download_the_patch/

EDIT:

[–]BRKsEDU 1 point 3 minutes ago

I played the whole game without the patch - about 50 hours - and I got really impressed with how much graphics/fluidity improved with the patch.

Anti-pirating technique?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First ps3 hacker spotted :P

Edit: This should not be possible with dedicated servers but I guess From SW lied about this.

Edit2: Or their network code is shit.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Respawning loot:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/208e5g/items_respawning_in_majula_talk_of_burning_items/

So I was playing a diff character for a while, burnt two ascetics and two sublime bone dusts, found a bit later that all the loot in Majula had respawned for some reason, pretty sweet.

I haven't been able to replicate this on my new character, anyone know how to actually respawn the loot? Thanks!

Patch fixes graphic/lighting issues:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/...other_playing_if_you_cant_download_the_patch/

Praise the Sun I'm so glad. Why this comes as a Day 1 patch however is puzzling. Perhaps to piss off pirates?

or they treated pirates/usa players as a beta testers to check how much ps3/servers online can handle and how much graphic content they have to cut to make the game playable:troll:

DragoFireheart

or they treated pirates/usa players as a beta testers to check how much ps3/servers online can handle and how much graphic content they have to cut to make the game playable:troll:

If From actually did this it would make them extremely clever.

People are going to pirate anyways, why not use them as an asset? :incline:

DragoFireheart

felipepepe praetor Morgoth meanwhileInPoland toro Medic toroid dunno lah Kanedias

I need someone to verify this rumor. Play the game without the patch and then play the game with the patch. Check to see if the visuals changed due to the Day 1 Patch.

List of users:
=========================================================
felipepepe: w/patch, High quality.

meanwhileInPoland: waiting at least till friday for fucking delivery from amazon.de:rage:
Kanedias: w/patch, High quality.

=========================================================

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
I downloaded the patch before starting, and the game always looked damn good. Exactly like in the video that Morgoth posted.

This.

--

By the way, I found the claymore +M

The 2h r1s are what used to be the 2h r2, and the new r2 is a massive thrust with lots of range.

Now I only need to find more Large Titanite Shards to keep upgrading it, but ores seem to be extremely limited in this game.

Kanedias

Savant
Yes, I didn't play without the patch, but the lighting is very good, like I've said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom