Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Kanedias

Savant
It's not really needed, as
NG+ is perma-gravelorded.

Gravelord was a terrible idea in my opinion, because even if we took away that idiotic NG restriction, you couldn't even know if it worked or if the host of the infected world actually died. You had to stay in the same area waiting for blue invaders and that's it. 99% of those probably never saw the gravelord phantoms to begin with. It was a shame because playing Dark Souls parma gravelorded was very fun, and the BPs actually had good enemy placement, they ambushed you and such. Except in Duke's Archives, that is, where the BP Channelers were put in positions where they couldn't hit you, and one of them was so close to an edge that literally every time he sees you he falls down and dies because he tries to cast his buff, and the casting animation makes him move forward.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Details on stats:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68745726

This post will cover the Vital Statistics of a Character in Dark Souls II.

Vigor:
Points of Vigor:-----------| <20 | >=20 <50 | >=50 |
HP Gained per Point:----| 30 | 20 | 5 |

VGR is the primary source of HP in your stats. Other stats raise HP, but VGR adds the most HP per point spent. Additionally, VGR increases your resistance to Petrification.

Endurance:
Points of Endurance:--------| <20 | >=20 |
Stamina gained per Point:--| 2 | 1 |

END increases slightly your physical defense. Additionally, END increases Poise along with ADP. According to the guide, the guide, increasing the lower of the two stats increases your poise by an equivalent amount (i.e.: 12 END 10 ADP -> 12 END 12 ADP = +2 POISE).

Vitality:
Points of Vitality:------------------| <29 | >=30 <49 | >=50 <70 | >=70 <98 | =98 |
Equip Load gained per Point:--| 1.5 | 1.0 | 0.5 | 0.5 per 2 | 0.5 |

VIT now increases equip load.

Attunement:
Points of Attunement:-|<10|10-12|13-15|16-19|20-24|25-29|30-39|40-49|50-59|60-74|75-99|
Total Spell Slots:-------|..0..|...1...|....2....|....3....|...4...|....5....|....6....|...7...|....8....|....9....|..10..|

ATT increases your Spell Slots. It also is the best way to increase your Casting Speed. Additionally, ATTunement slightly increases Curse Resistance and Agility. Finally, an unstated effect of ATTunement is that it increases the number of uses each spell has before being exhausted. This increase varies from spell to spell.

Strength:
Points of Strength:------| 1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | 60 | 70 | 80 | 90 | 99 |
Total Attack: Strength:-| 50 | 57 | 80 | 102 | 140 | 155 | 162 | 170 | 185 | 192 | 200 |

STR increases your Total Attack with strength weapons. Total Attack is multiplied by your weapon's scaling value. STR is primarily used to allow your character to wield stronger weapons. You can two-hand a weapon to double your strength value for the purposes of wielding weapons (i.e.: Longsword: 10 STR; you: 5 STR. 2-Hand the weapon to wield it effectively). Furthermore, STR increases Physical Defense.

Dexterity:
Points of Dexterity:------| 1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | 60 | 70 | 80 | 90 | 99 |
Total Attack: Dexterity:-| 50 | 57 | 80 | 102 | 140 | 155 | 162 | 170 | 185 | 192 | 200 |

DEX is much like STR. It increases Physical Defense as a secondary boost. However, where STR and DEX differ is that Dexterity adds to your Bleed BNS and Poison BNS (BNS stands for Bonus) stats, that is, it makes those effects stronger on weapons with Poison or Bleed added properties.

Adaptability:
Primary Increase: Agility
Secondary Increases: HP, Poison BNS, Poison RES, Bleed RES, Petrify RES, Curse RES.
Poise Increase with Endurance

ADP does a little to a lot. By increasing Agility, ADP reduces the time it takes to perform most actions such as drinking from your Estus Flask. Apparently, with max agility, the time it takes to drink from your Flask is reduced by almost half a second. Of note is the fact that ADP does not increase Parry Speed.

ADP and END have a synergistic effect on each other in that raising the lower of the two stats increases Poise by a point per stat point spent.

Intelligence:
Points of Intelligence:---| 1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | 60 | 70 | 80 | 90 | 99 |
Magic Bonus:-------------| 50 | 57 | 80 | 102 | 140 | 155 | 162 | 170 | 185 | 192 | 200 |

INT is the primary stat for Sorceries. Intelligence and Faith both contribute to your Fire Bonus stat. This is not like Poise with END and ADP; you can raise both stats and get the same bonus from each. INT also increases your Magic, Fire, and Dark RES stats. To raise Dark Bonus, you must raise both INT and FTH, much as you would have to to raise Poise with END and ADP. Finally, INT also increases Casting Speed slightly.

Faith:
Points of Faith:-------------| 1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | 60 | 70 | 80 | 90 | 99 |
Total Lightning Bonus:----| 50 | 57 | 80 | 102 | 140 | 155 | 162 | 170 | 185 | 192 | 200 |

FTH is the primary stat for increasing the power of Miracles and Lightning. ATT, INT, and FTH also increase the amount of castings you have access to for each spell, though this bonus varies from spell to spell. FTH provides Fire Bonus. FTH boosts Fire, Lightning, and Dark RES, as well as Bleed Bonus. Finally, both FTH and INT are required to raise Dark Bonus.

Those are the stats according to the guide. Some of this information may very well be horribly incorrect - after all, the game could well be patched immediately after release.

tl;dr Adaptability is king stat. Endurance is probably second.

Kanedias

Savant
For all the improvements to covenants and online, I'm really worried about the new level range calculations. They seem to take total souls acquired into account. Won't this mess up everything, like the suggested PvP level? By constant PvPing you acquire millions and millions of souls.

i am guessing that there wil be some cap? like above 5 milion of souls you can invade anyone who has at least those 5millions?

Apparently the reason you
can't invade/coop with NG people if you're on NG+ or beyond is because Souls Gained stops mattering when you finish the normal NG, separating people on their first playthrough from people who have beaten the game already.

praetor

Arcane
Gravelord was a terrible idea in my opinion, because even if we took away that idiotic NG restriction, you couldn't even know if it worked or if the host of the infected world actually died.

terrible, awful, retarded execution, not the idea :P

so, to sum up:
Sunbros: co-op
Bloodbros: invasions
Bluebros: police
Ancients: dragonbros (now with armour!)/duelling
Bellbros: forest gank squad
Ratbros: forest gank squad?
Sentinels: gank central
Champions: self-gravelord?
Abyss: 1 boss + 3-4 hexes

For all the improvements to covenants and online, I'm really worried about the new level range calculations. They seem to take total souls acquired into account. Won't this mess up everything, like the suggested PvP level? By constant PvPing you acquire millions and millions of souls.

i am guessing that there wil be some cap? like above 5 milion of souls you can invade anyone who has at least those 5millions?

Apparently the reason you
can't invade/coop with NG people if you're on NG+ or beyond is because Souls Gained stops mattering when you finish the normal NG, separating people on their first playthrough from people who have beaten the game already.
sounds right. on ng+you can hardly complain about twinks

Nugs

Learned
Probated
So what's gonna be the expansion? are there streams yet?:M

Kanedias

Savant
Gravelord was a terrible idea in my opinion, because even if we took away that idiotic NG restriction, you couldn't even know if it worked or if the host of the infected world actually died.

terrible, awful, retarded execution, not the idea :P

so, to sum up:
Sunbros: co-op
Bloodbros: invasions
Bluebros: police
Ancients: dragonbros (now with armour!)/duelling
Bellbros: forest gank squad
Ratbros: forest gank squad?
Sentinels: gank central
Champions: self-gravelord?
Abyss: 1 boss + 3-4 hexes

Oh, I forgot about Champions.

It makes your world harder, but it doesn't add BPs. Every enemy just seems to be harder, the most obvious difference is damage and resistance, but we will probably need Souls Science to discover the numbers. Something else it does, but I cannot find a source so take it with a grain of salt, is that it also affects enemies in people's worlds that are in your IP Pool, but to a lesser degree compared to your own. This effect apparently stacks with how many Champions are in the "victim's" IP pool. Sounds really cool but I have yet to confirm it, and I doubt I can do it before someone leaks the guide or before I get in contact with Veggy again.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
So anyone knows yet if its better to max poise or get roll ?

Nugs

Learned
Probated
Matters of life and death

• You'll still die all the time.
  • The act of healing has been changed heavily from the original Dark Souls. The Estus Flask persists, but it's much harder to find charges for it--you start with just 1. There's also consumable lifegems. Both healing items take a lot of time to activate, but players can walk (slowly) while using them.
  • Your maximum health is reduced when you die, down to a maximum penalty of 50 percent. Going from an undead (hollow) state to a human state reverses the effect.
  • You can recover your humanity by consuming a human effigy. Unlike in Dark Souls, these items do not have to be used at bonfires.
  • There is a ring players can discover early on that makes players lose less of their health bar when they die.
  • The curse ailment is not as brutally debilitating in Dark Souls II, and petrification--which went hand-in-hand with Curse in Dark Souls--has been made a separately awful thing that can happen to you.

Exploration

• Players can travel immediately between all lit bonfires from the beginning of the game.
  • The controls for sliding down a ladder have been modified by default. Tapping the roll button will now cause you to drop instead of slide down. Don't learn this the hard way!
  • You can now be invaded while hollow, although the game is more likely to have invaders travel to the worlds of players who are alive, and players who have sinned, ahead of undead players.
  • Players can carry a torch to provide a portable light source that can also ignite beacons. When equipped, the torch replaces a shield.
  • Items can be burnt at bonfires to modify the world. The Bonfire Ascetic will make enemies in the region stronger. It is irreversible. Burning a Human Effigy at a bonfire will also make it more difficult for you to be invaded.
  • The ragdoll physics have been made less hilarious. No longer will you be running around with a fleet of dead cragspiders stuck to your feet.
  • Merchants have limited amounts of supplies, so don't expect to buy 85 titanite shards whenever you fancy it.
  • Traditionally in the Souls series, enemies have respawned when players rest at a bonfire. In Dark Souls II, the majority of enemies stop respawning when killed a certain amount of times.
  • There's now a Small White Sign Soapstone, which allows players to be summoned into other games for a shorter duration of time than with a regular White Soapstone.

Character

• Performing backstabs in Dark Souls II works in a completely different way to the original. Hitting an enemy anywhere in the back now triggers the animation, but players are no longer invulnerable when performing the move.
  • Rolling has been changed. It is now much, much harder to evade horizontal attacks without taking damage.
  • Jumping, which can be performed when players are sprinting, is now mapped by default to clicking the left analog stick.
  • Levelling up your character is now handled by talking to an NPC at Majula, the game's central hub area, rather than at any bonfire.
  • There is a new attribute: Adaptability. This affects movement speed and resistances. The other character attributes are vigour, endurance, vitality, attunement, strength, dexterity, intelligence, and faith.
  • Characters now stagger backwards and are unable to move for a moment if their stamina bar runs out while holding up a shield.
  • A guard break move has replaced the kick, with bigger weapons being able to stagger enemies for a longer amount of time.
  • The weight load percentage of how much gear you've got equipped--used to determined how fast your character can sprint, move, and roll--is now shown in the inventory.
  • The inventory and UI is cleaner and easier to navigate in Dark Souls II than it was in the original, although it is still quite complex.
  • Players now get two arrow slots, allowing archers to flick between two different quivers without having to break the flow of combat.
  • There are now three left-hand and right-hand slots per character, allowing for more versatile weapon builds.
  • Dual wielding strategies are now viable.
  • It is possible to respec your stats, but the item that allows for this is rare.
  • Your equipment degrades at a faster rate than in Dark Souls, but resting at a bonfire repairs items. If an item breaks, however, it will need to be repaired.
  • The starting classes are warrior, knight, swordsman, bandit, cleric, sorcerer, explorer, and deprived.
Covenants and online

• Dark Souls II, unlike its predecessor, will feature dedicated servers.
  • There we be an area devoted to dedicated PVP, similar to the area in Dark Souls' Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
  • Players can still leave messages for one another, from a preselected list of statements, and the game now allows for more complex sentences.
  • There is now optional voice chat in co-op play.
  • An item found early on suggests that players will be more likely to be matched with one another in co-op if they follow the same god. From Software has said there are 10 gods in the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Matters of life and death

• The controls for sliding down a ladder have been modified by default. Tapping the roll button will now cause you to drop instead of slide down.
Is there a way to slide down a ladder?
Don't learn this the hard way!
Like I did. :D
Dark Souls II, unlike its predecessor, will feature dedicated servers.
Huh, wait, what? And how will that work?

praetor

Arcane
Is there a way to slide down a ladder?

have you tried holding circle? that text seems to imply only tapping makes you jump from ladders

Huh, wait, what? And how will that work?

likely something like the DeS servers rather than the DaS1 P2P system (so no more player pools limited to ~32). there will be servers for each region, and by default you're "region-locked", but there appears to be an option to "unlock" that

7pYSi.jpg

i see a lot of fresh meat:smug:

why would you buy it directly on steam? you can get it for around 25-30eur for box version in potatoland. there is plenty of digital versions/cd-keys cheaper than steams 50eur.

Bahamut

Arcane
why would you buy it directly on steam? you can get it for around 25-30eur for box version in potatoland. there is plenty of digital versions/cd-keys cheaper than steams 50eur.

Yea i know, but i am still hunting for some site that ofers steam preorder keys, to get bonuses. Most shops i saw send keys on release day

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Before:
They completely crippled the lighting system.

Wow, no kidding. The old lighting did wonders for the game's atmosphere and helped establish a wonderful sense of place.

Previously (as recently as two months ago):
iqKlfRFV9WByZ.gif

Now:

i3Vl2lhTKltb0.gif

On comparison, the environment looks drab and washed out, almost as if From increased the brightness levels to compensate for removing the old lighting system.

Of more concern is how this affects gameplay. From made a lot of noise talking about their lighting system and that torches will play an integral role in dark areas. The Beta did have some complaints about how dark some areas were, but I didn't expect From to revert that design choice to such an extent. Apparently torches are hardly needed now, going by the early players, and that makes me wonder if From managed to rebalance most of the encounters to not needing a torch anymore, that too in a handful of months.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I would not be suprised if the top screenshot is from the PC and much hyped next gen versions. Since it would make sense for Fromsoft to want to attact double dippers with a current and next gen version of the same game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I would not be suprised if the top screenshot is from the PC and much hyped next gen versions. Since it would make sense for Fromsoft to want to attact double dippers with a current and next gen version of the same game.

The Steam page screenshots suggest otherwise (same flat lighting).

My take: From Software pumped quickly into the console hardware limitations and had to remove light sources from the levels, to keep the frame rate steady. Too bad that this will also affect the PC version since I doubt the artists would lit the levels for two SKUs seperately.

Well it looks like shit but that won't stop me from having fun. It's just disappointing, and for From/Namco also legally problematic since false advertisement can be ground for lawsuit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom