Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Murk

Arcane
praetor oh ffs what is this shit?

Any word on what happens in ng+5 and on? And I wonder if it's related to host cycle or player cycle? Sometimes I'll one-shot someone with a 500 ar weapon (halberd/great hammer) backstab and other times I do less than 1k damage with a fucking mundane dagger (325 AR minimum). If this is because the invader/other guy is in a different cycle and his cycle overrides mine in terms of damage then fuck it all there's some RNG bullshit at play.

Drangleic Castle->
Shrine of Amana->Undead Crypt->Aldia`s Keep->Dragon Aerie->Dragon Shrine
2 big locations , 3 medium and 1 rather small so around 5 bosses and couple dragons :lol:

Murk

Arcane
Eh it's easy enough; you can run through
the aerie and the dragon shrine
pretty easily.

also, if it's your first time through it's just more game to play bra. Plus you get to experience the greatness of
shrine of amanda

GET DAT SPELL PARRY SWEG

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh it's easy enough; you can run through
the aerie and the dragon shrine
pretty easily.

also, if it's your first time through it's just more game to play bra. Plus you get to experience the greatness of
shrine of amanda

GET DAT SPELL PARRY SWEG
Oh yeah, sure I will, I already got past Nashsndra's chamber through Twin Dragonriders and activated an elevator near the next bonfire (and killed some invading faget:greatjob:). I believe I'm somewhere near Looking Glass Knight.

I'll have a lot of free time this month, so I'll explore all that locations in a proper way.

Oh, I have a question: there is a room with stone knights and ruin sentinels coming alive just after the first bonfire. And there is a foggy door. I killed all of them, but that door remained unusable. Is there something interesting there?

Murk

Arcane
semi spoiler

another ruin sentinel, then the floor breaks and you fall into a small area with faraam set (mascot armor), a bonfire, and another abyss gate for the 'pilgrims of the dark' covenant thingy with darkdiver grandahl

the fog gate you mention there can't be used if you have a phantom (summoned or invading)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
semi spoiler

another ruin sentinel, then the floor breaks and you fall into a small area with faraam set (mascot armor), a bonfire, and another abyss gate for the 'pilgrims of the dark' covenant thingy with darkdiver grandahl

the fog gate you mention there can't be used if you have a phantom (summoned or invading)
:brodex:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Finally got around to finishing the second DLC, and I like it much less than the first. Level design in general suffers too much from "this is a room with some enemies" syndrome, similar to Iron Keep unsurprisingly. It's not that the area is small or linear, just not very fun to explore. Nadalia spices things up a bit, but is a bit too easy to play around most of the time. Enemies and bosses, in my view as someone with a two hander and no shield, have too many attacks with arbitrary pauses, but near-instant swing animations - so you effectively need to know the roll timing, rather than being able to react to the attack as it happens. Which simply leads to a lot of dull trial-and-error.

Still haven't killed Sir Alonne, who seems like a pretty cool boss, but I'm not going to go through all those stupid Alonne Knights just to die to another near-instantaneous charge attack. I just have better things to spend time on currently. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point, but right now I've had my fill of learning arbitrary attack patterns with Fume Knight. Who was actually quite cool in that he had some deliberately slow swings and delayed follow-ups to combos, but in the end was pretty much just committing patterns to muscle memory.

Murk

Arcane
You can yolo run through to Alonne (works rather well) and bonfire is close by so yeah

also, scruuuuuuuubbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb u fugn casul lrn2parry fgt

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I yolod to Alonne twice, but it seems inconsistent, it's pretty easy to get shot with an arrow and stunlocked in the room right before him.

And you can't parry while 2handing a GS, so it's not an option for me. Parrying in PvE is for tryhards anyway, tends to make fun and challenging bossfights trivial.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
And you can't parry while 2handing a GS

but... you can

I... honestly had no idea. I had assumed it worked the same way as in DaS1 and never tried it. God fucking damn it. Never been much of a fan of parrying in PvE, but it would've been really useful at times.

Funnily enough, I have been using the Fume UGS L2, which is conveniently not a parry.

FFS

praetor

Arcane
Funnily enough, I have been using the Fume UGS L2, which is conveniently not a parry.

but it blocks for the first few frames, like the 1HR2 (and with 80%physical and 62 stability it's nothing to sneeze at. it's probably the best UGS in the game, bar none)

Murk

Arcane
I dislike the gatsu style overhead slam but for PVE it's p good. it seems to have silly tracking too, especially the rolling poke. You can manage a straight 180 with it.

The smelter hammer is mostly a derp-joke disappointment. The running attack is broken but other than that it's mostly for lols. it's 2h pancake slam has a weird effect -- if you use it on the leydia pyromancers they just don't get back up. Not sure if it works on other 'floating' enemies as well. it's 2h rolling attack is also a "throw forward" golfswing like the 2h r2 of an UGS.

I got invaded by 'abyss gravelord' a few times and he kept spamming the run attack, it's super backstab bait if you don't get hit with that initial 'jump' invisible attack.

also, I think if I play against like 2 more TEH COMMUNITY people I'll have killed half the fucking community. Just waiting for damnnohtml to parry me n teach me the true ways of honoru

for whatever reason I booted up DS 1 last night thinking I'd test it out. the controls are just as wonky as I recall, parrying is just as easy as I recall, and attacks are definitely slower. Overall DS 2 is definitely an improvement but there's one thing it totally failed to capture -- that damn feeling. setting foot in firelink shrine is like 50000% better than setting foot in majula. And because the game runs like shit you get to see some very nice still frames of it as it skips frames left and right.

I also miss some of the very silly unique attacks weapons had (jagged ghost blade omg).

I parried the black knight in parish to death with a cracked wooden shield and a +0 rapier with 12 str and 12 dex. I can't even imagine trying to parry a heide knight to death after a year of not playing ds 2 with something like the crimson parma.

Murk

Arcane
horreee shit this is fuggin' hilarious: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2fivf5/i_was_just_robbed/

GrundleSnatcher said:
I have been battling the Blue Smelter Demon for days. It's been tough so I started trying to get summoned for it instead. After countless attempts I finally helped some one else beat him. Freshly human and pumped up, I decided to fight him myself and summoned a phantom. This guy cleared the first few rooms easily with crystal soul spear and I thought something was off but I was just happy to have a powerful caster to help. We make it to the fog with little issue, I use sunlight blade and we walk inside. I run up to the demon to kite him and as soon as I get him to turn a huge soul shower hits him, one shotting him. It was then I finally realized I summoned a fucking hacker. I had been trying to accomplish this for days and you fucking ruined it whoever you are. Thanks a lot and fuck hacking.

-end rant

GrundleSnatcher said:
I have been battling the Blue Smelter Demon for days.

GrundleSnatcher said:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom