Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Murk

Arcane
Bros, I am super disappoint. I tried installing the game on my laptop and it installed fine. Intro was great, movie played at like 95% awesome with a skip here or there and then when the game began I was getting like 2FPS.

Guess this BS non-video-card won't cut it.

Woe is me ;(

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unless it's some gaming laptop made in the last two or three years, yeah you're boned. Aren't going to find too many modern games that'll run well on integrated chips.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Novelty forest gangbangers are the lamest pvpers, especially the ones who wear heavy armor and just spam melee attacks and special weapon blasts (although particularly hilarious trolling gets a pass). Plus they weren't particularly good. I'm terrible myself, but I've died to plenty of players who would destroy them with backstabs - I'm sure they edited plenty out.

Borelli

Arcane
After i killed the last boss i realized that i haven't even touch the DLC. Not because i didn't want to but because throughout the whole game i did not find a single hint to it's whereabouts, the 20k souls crest that the blacksmith sells was my first guess but it turned out to be from the original. So after starting a new game plus i checked online to see how to reach it ... duke's archives? really? i need to play the game again all the way to there? Is there any way to bypass all this shit? I just want to try out the DLC and i don't like the fact that i'm too far ahead in the game is stopping me from playing it.:mad:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can't bypass everything but you can skip a lot. Do the following (obvious spoilers):

Take master key as gift (not necessary but speeds things along a bit.)
Right out of first dungeon, take the mega shortcut to Pinwheel and have Leeroy kill him for you. Free 20k souls + ritual for more estus. Get whatever upgrades you want to roflstomp the gargoyles and quelaag.Remember there is a blacksmith in new londo that can bring your weapon to +5. I like to go into Tomb of Giants and grab the crescent axe too if I'm trying to rush and don't have a black knight weapon. There are other really strong options too, like joining Nito's covenant for the sword and upgrading that.
Open the shortcut to valley of the drakes through new londo ruins. (if you don't have the master key you need to run through the ghosts to do this and open the gate.)
From valley of the drakes, go to blighttown and kill Quelaag (you can do gargoyles first if you're not confident you can do this without visiting Andre anyways, he's right by gargoyles.)
Kill gargoyles, go directly to Sen's without dealing with lower undead burg, depths, or blight town.
Proceed form here as normal.

This lets you skip the whole undead burg and depths and blight town basically, and gets you a ton of early souls and extra estus to make up for it. Easily shaves hours off a game. You might want to do some optional shit anyways if you have a preference for items, but that is the gist of a rush game.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Yeah, the DLC is quite ridiculous at how to actually access it. Even the game review sites needed a walkthrough from Fromsoft on how to access it.

You didn't miss a lot of things though, the DLC is mostly fleshing out the true story behind Artorias, and gives you a new and touching intro scene fighting Sif if you completed the DLC before (and you need to finish a secret part in it too). If you're a sorcery user it'll also give you several awesome new spells, including the one which does the biggest and fastest damage to bosses (or just about anything in close range).

Otherwise, play the game again all the way isn't that bad all...this game is actually extremely addicting and you can try new ways to have new fun with every new game and/or new character.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, the speculation potential has hit an all time high. You also get to see the other 3 of the 4 knights of Gwyn, and get some neat trolling items for PVP, and a challenge-item (Calamity Ring).

Borelli

Arcane
Did the shortcut through valley of drakes, accessed it through darkroot since i did not know any other way. Queelag was so much easier than on first playthrough, Sen's fortress was a breeze although since on my first playthrough i summoned an npc this time i decided i should fight the golem properly. It was somewhat difficult until he started becoming stunned when hit in the ankle, very anticlimactic, part of Anor Londo where there are 2 archers was a bitch though.
Smough and Ornstein ... on the first playthrough when i first encountered them i thought it was impossible i totally lost my hope when on some online guide i noticed that there is a npc summon Solaire, cool i thought he will even the odds for me, well after spending 10 humanity to summon him 10 times i haven't moved an inch, i backtracked to sewers farmed some rats for 5 more humanity tried again 5 times and still no go. So i said fuck it tried to take them on alone ... and won. On this second playthrough it took me 5 tries to beat them all alone, feeling very proud right now. Now all i need is to go to duke archives to get something something and then i'm finally going to enter the DLC level. Overall the new game plus does not seem much harder at all from normal game but this could be because since you start with all equipment and stats from end game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It was somewhat difficult until he started becoming stunned when hit in the ankle
If you fight him on that narrow bridge behind him and hit him enough on the ankle, you can make him fall & die. It's faster than chipping away his massive HP, but also harder due the lack of room to move around.

Damned Registrations

Also, if you use a great chaos fireball, the lava autostaggers him just like anyone else, for an instant ko on the bridge.

Borelli

Arcane
So in the forest sanctuary i saw a giant mushroom, carefully with my shield up i approached it, i noticed that auto lock isn't working and it didn't have any arms so it is not an enemy i thought, i got closer noticed that there is no talk option so i decided to hit it thinking other giant mushrooms took several hits from golem axe +5 it will be fine. Well it wasn't. Should have switched to punching.

Damned Registrations

If it's any consolation, she's not terribly important anyways. She sells a few spells, most of which Dusk also sells. She sells lightning resin too, but that's not very useful here anyways.

Heresiarch

Prophet
There IS a talk option...oh well, poor Elizabeth the Mushroom.

She do provide some background story, and gives you reward when you killed the final boss. It's a pretty lame reward though...

bminorkey

The DeS stuff is just referring to its release on PSN and the company's promise to keep the servers up indefinitely.

Anyway, I've been playing on-and-off DeS for the past few days, it's been quite a bit of fun. The level design is very challenging even though I'm good with the mechanics (thanks to Dark Souls). Bosses are generally much easier but I still died several times to the Tower Knight (had no way to farm healing items) and Flamelurker (20 damage a hit with an upgraded spear? really?).

Servers seem relatively active. I don't make multiplayer a focus for the moment, but I've phantommed for a few people and been invaded by/killed one player so far.

Borelli

Arcane
I finished the DLC and went on to fight Sif and i noticed that his moveset is somewhat similar to Artorias's i don't think it's accidental. Sif was still easy even on new game plus, probably because since you can fight him right after the taurus demon he is balanced for low level players and his lack of strong close range attacks.

Eyeball

Arcane
I really, really, really want to play and enjoy this. But the control scheme makes me cry on a PC. It's perhaps the worst port of a console game I've ever seen, control-wise, and the graphics are for some reason a lot uglier than what my graphics card can pull.

Anything I can download to fix this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom