Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Weird, I find O&S not that hard, UNLESS you kill fat guy first, then it's insta-rape...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
4 kings I think originally all spawned at once, and were only staggered by spawning in different places and you running towards one.

Even as it is, it still becomes a nightmare if you have a low damage weapon.

What do you consider hard then? 4 King is easy as long as you have lots of damage. Pretty much every other boss in the game can be beaten by blocking or standing behind it.

Even as it is, it still becomes a nightmare if you have a low damage weapon.

The first rule of Dark Souls is to have a weapon that makes things die.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is funny that as a mage I usually kill them so fast I have to wait a bit for each one to spawn. As a fighter, on the other hand... I actually got stuck on them on New Game+ with a character... :(

abija

Prophet
The problem with capra is that if it's your first contact with the game and playing without spoilers it's very likely your build is terrible and the location coupled with boss attacks don't give you any room to understand what happens.
Starting as a knight, you're over 50% load, no idea that slows you down, no idea your armor is pointless when you block and due to high boss dmg is pretty much pointless for damage reduction too, class tips says it's a class with higher vitality so you might have no points in endurance. That makes even surviving the first attack and running to get an overview of the room and what actually happens a difficult task.

and i can only imagine the rage of people having so much trouble with Capra when they meet fuckers like O&S, the 4Kunts, Artorias, the AL archers, Tomb of Giants, Crystal Caves...
For example, without the black knight sword I would have had a LOT of issues with Capra (mainly because the normal swords you find by then don't seem worth it to go 2h and this one forced me in order to be able to use it) and I one shot O&S solo with plenty of room to spare.
There's a huge difference when you had some experience with game mechanics and have some room to observe before getting bum rushed and killed through your block.

made

Arcane
The club is so OP I'm still using it at lvl 80 almost exclusively (upgraded to +15 now). best part is it staggers most enemies and interrupts their attacks so if you get the first hit in you've already won. And it's fast enough to chain attacks for crazy damage which you can't do with those slow giant clubs.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's some good 2-H weapons in Demon's Souls? I've been using a +7 Claymore all through the mines and the storm place and most of Boletaria but wouldn't mind trying something else.

Thing is, I see no reason to- that thing is awesome and suits my preference for Berserk-like 2-H madness while taking hits like an idiot just well. The game even lets me do that easily due to the Adjudicator Shield + Regen Ring.

Any other cool STR-based 2H weapons I should try? I don't like the Great Axe or Great Sword (talk about a terrible moveset) and I missed that Dragon sword on the mines in this (first) playthrough.

Also, how do I upgrade the Adjudicator's Shield? I read I can increase the (already great) HP regen on that baby but I haven't found a single upgrade item for it yet and am half-way through the game.

By the way, I love it- it's great! Though I don't like the tower of Latria. Prisons just aren't my thing, so the 3-1 is a turn-off for me. Cells, cells, cells. World 1 is awesome, and world 4 was great from start to finish.

praetor

Arcane
Meat Cleaver? basically a sword with the great axe moveset. plus it leeches life with each hit. and it can be enchanted even though it has split magic/physical damage. you can upgrade your adjudicator shield with colourless demons souls (i would recommend getting one from sparkly the crow in 4-1 or in the tower miranda guards in 1-1 and then duplicating it with the stockpile thomas glitch 'cause farming those off of primeval demons is one of the most tedious, long and boring things in any game ever. seriously)

The iconically cheap and easy to use weapon for Demon's Souls is the Mirdan Hammer. Two-handed it has huge range, fairly high power, swings as fast as a motherfucker and goes through guards quite well. Polearms had to take a bit of a nerf in Dark Souls because of it (if you hit air on your attack you get an extra half-second recovery time). You could be fancy with other weapons but when I was PvPing 3/4ths of players were using it and could be very tough nuts to crack just with well-timed standard attacks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, it's gotta be a sword. I like big swords, no homo.
Can you explain the duping process to me, praetor? First time I've heard of it.

praetor

Arcane
  1. equip a shard of archstone/that other thing that transports to the nexus/the miracle that does the same
  2. be sure stockpile thomas has 0 of the item you want to dupe
  3. talk to the blacksmith and try buying something cheap (like crescent grass). stop at the "how many" screen
  4. walk away until the buying screen disappears (do not click anything)
  5. use that shard/miracle/other thing to go to the nexus. when the "return to nexus?" prompt appears, press START
  6. talk to thomas and deposit the item you want to dupe. start spamming circle asap to skip the loading screen (or avoid losing souls if you use that other thing :))

Eh, it's gotta be a sword. I like big swords, no homo.
Can you explain the duping process to me, praetor? First time I've heard of it.
The Claymore is by far the best "generic" big sword thanks to its versatility.

If size is all that matters you can get a Zweihander from the graveyard that has ridiculous range.

What's the problem with Capra? You dodge that unblockable attack with two swords and block the rest while circling him. For Estus, I lured him to the top of stairs and jumped down.

BTW @all: I rang both bells, cleared the Darkroot Basin and Garden (killed the Moonlight Butterfly on the first oblivious attempt:)), killed Hydra and Havel the Rock. What now, Sen's Fortress?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yep; that's what the bells open. Though you could visit the Demon Ruins near Queelag or hang out in the Forest, too. Or visit the Catacombs or New Londo Ruins.

Sen's is the recommended place to go next, though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW @all: I rang both bells, cleared the Darkroot Basin and Garden (killed the Moonlight Butterfly on the first oblivious attempt:)), killed Hydra and Havel the Rock. What now, Sen's Fortress?
Yeah, or if you're feeling confident, try Sif at the end of the Garden, either through the sealed wall or by climbing the ladder behind the Hydra.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
My first time playing I actually killed the hydra from the top of that ladder with a bow. Felt pretty :smug:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
How did I miss that stupid thing?

Edit: probably the same way I missed the trip back to the Asylum until the game was almost over. I love the way From Software isn't afraid of hiding giant amounts of content behind an obscure path or secret door.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom