Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Creative Assembly goes WAAAAAAAGHHHH

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno, I would have loved a 1550-1700 era Renaissance Total War type of game. Lots of real warring at the time, civil wars everywhere, Christians killing each other and Turks, lots of varied units and approaches to combat what with it being the time where guns and swords still were pretty equal. Oh and of course the Rzeczpospolita was at the height of it's power.

Total Warhammer will just be something along the lines of King Arthur I guess, though with the incline in Shogun 2, one can only hope that CA will have something else new in store.

oscar

Arcane
Yeah I've been craving a Renaissance strategy game. Been tempted to buy HPS's 'Musket & Pike' when my wallet is a bit heavier.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Renaissance would be nice, but only if it had colonial theaters as well. The Venetian Colonial Empire in the Americas must rise again! :M

Also potatoes.

Maybe, but I find that the AI works best when it doesn't have to spread itself everywhere. This is CA after all and even Paradox AI has trouble expanding coherently overseas without being scripted. In the 1600's only really Spain had anything like a colonial presence anywhere. The Brits were just scratching out a bare existence in Jonestown. Only towards the end of the era was there anything approaching colonialism for others. So perhaps just a system to simulate the bringing back of wealth from the Spanish main and the attempt by other powers to muscle in on the action would be better. But hey, it's a good idea for alternative history, only from experience I find that CA AI needs as few distractions as possible.

Hollywood

Educated
Come on, there are many other historical settings that they can use without using the same old Rome, Medieval Europe and Warring States Japan. Settings like medieval Middle East, India (before and after the great empires) and East Asia are not only underutilised by CA but by the gaming industry as a whole.
But most of them haven't got a popularity among customers.
I mean it would be great to have a game where we control muhammad or sun tzu but that would not sell much.
And having smaller areas means less content and that makes battles boring after the first 10.

In other words, White people cannot into anything darker than suncream.

Come on, there are many other historical settings that they can use without using the same old Rome, Medieval Europe and Warring States Japan. Settings like medieval Middle East, India (before and after the great empires) and East Asia are not only underutilised by CA but by the gaming industry as a whole.
But most of them haven't got a popularity among customers.
I mean it would be great to have a game where we control muhammad or sun tzu but that would not sell much.
And having smaller areas means less content and that makes battles boring after the first 10.
It would be worth it just for the shitstorm caused by depicting the prophet.

I agree though, the most representation India and the Middle East have had is uh... Age of Empires? But they are not really popular with Western audiences, so it's no real surprise there haven't been many titles dealing with them.

No no, not "Western". White people.

It would be awesome if they set a Total War game in Africa. I'm thinking spanning from the Ancient era all the way up to the Middle Ages. That would be the hardest campaign map they'll ever do. Seriously, Africa is a strategic nightmare. It requires a totally Southern way of thinking to fight in it successfully (the only other real Southern mindset being the peoples of Latin America). When the people of Africa go to war, they go in hard. From the smallest battles to the most complicated theatres, it's an entirely vicious, brutal, swift, frightening and efficient kind of Total War

So many different factions to play as. The Mali (my favourite faction), the Bantu, the Songhai, the Zulu, the Massai, the Ashanti, the Nubians, the Gollo, the Berbers, the Numdians, the Mbuti, the Kushites, the Hausa, the Sao, the Igbo and so many other ones to play as.

We can only hope that they make it someday. God, this game would be heaven...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Renaissance would be nice, but only if it had colonial theaters as well. The Venetian Colonial Empire in the Americas must rise again! :M

Also potatoes.

Maybe, but I find that the AI works best when it doesn't have to spread itself everywhere. This is CA after all and even Paradox AI has trouble expanding coherently overseas without being scripted. In the 1600's only really Spain had anything like a colonial presence anywhere. The Brits were just scratching out a bare existence in Jonestown. Only towards the end of the era was there anything approaching colonialism for others. So perhaps just a system to simulate the bringing back of wealth from the Spanish main and the attempt by other powers to muscle in on the action would be better. But hey, it's a good idea for alternative history, only from experience I find that CA AI needs as few distractions as possible.
And Portugal, and Holland

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom