Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the cranky hermit

Apollion

Scholar
Don't know if this is already known on the Codex, but I found this site useful when searching out new games to play during the occasional dry spell.

http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/

Would be awesome if the "hivemind" could put together some comprehensive list of good stuff somewhat similar to this.

Of course there has to be a point where there just aren't any more games that have slipped through the cracks over the years.

BTW- If you suffer from extreme console hatred, you may not find it at all interesting, though his top 50 RPG list is probably agreeable, I think, to the majority of people here

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ha... this guy is always posting on widescreengamingforum.com. He's a good guy and likes a strong debate, which I like, but I'm not sure how well he would be appreciated here.

Apollion

Scholar
Thought I'd add a few more links. If like me people often visit the codex looking for their next gaming fix, these might be found interesting.

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wik ... Games_Wiki

http://www.racketboy.com/guide/hidden-gems

The second link is completely console oriented, but if you emulate you might find it interesting.

Anyone else got anything similar? I'm always on the lookout for something I might have missed, platform and genre don't really mater, neither does age. Hopefully I can ask that on the Codex and feel safe I won't be getting a link to "The Top 10 PS3 Games of 2010" or something.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wiki's are absolute shit to find recommendations, there is always some retard putting dragon age there.

Anyway:
Last Express, Azrael's Tear.

SCO said:
wiki's are absolute shit to find recommendations, there is always some retard putting dragon age there.

It's not like that prevents other people from putting other stuff there.

/v/'s wiki, for example, has final fantasy, but it also has a lot of other games I never heard about.

Plus, next to the game's name there's a box for the poster to explain why the game is cool, instead of a list you're likely to just skim through.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Adventure games:

Planescape Torment Black Isle 2000

:rpgcodex:

A user named cat

That Hermit guy is a regular poster at Gamefaqs, on the PC board. Always arguing with someone, not sure why he doesn't just post here instead.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had a look, and his "Top XX YYY's" lists are shit. Have a look at the "Top 50 conventional adventure games" list and spot the only game in the top 10 there not made by LucasArts. Why not just rename it into "Best games that are like the LucasArts games" and be done with it?

His Ultimate OCD edition sections, fortunately, are less shit and actually useful at times, though some of them are missing information.

Apollion

Scholar
Unkillable Cat said:
I had a look, and his "Top XX YYY's" lists are shit. Have a look at the "Top 50 conventional adventure games" list and spot the only game in the top 10 there not made by LucasArts. Why not just rename it into "Best games that are like the LucasArts games" and be done with it?

His Ultimate OCD edition sections, fortunately, are less shit and actually useful at times, though some of them are missing information.

I haven't really looked at the game of the year lists, they seem kind of tacked on. Also, who made better adventure games than LucasArts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom