Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

Cenobyte

Prophet
laclongquan said:
Shrug!

Let them!

My soldier could use practice massacre on those rebels.... Come to think of it, your police officers could use the practice.!

Well, every human is a valuable resource. If we have to massacre our population regularly, it will hamper our position in the long run.

Especially since we are surrounded by evil, warlike bugs, we should try to preserve our resources.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Again we are getting distracted by Raumen machinations when we should be focusing on contacting the furries of Phyr.

I say we put an end to this particular route by which the Raumen may insidiously influence us. We should not dance in their web of intrigue, angling for another war that may destabilize us both inside and out. It would not surprise me if these bio-modded Codexians have begun worshipping the insectoid as their divine form.

End this trickery of theirs now in a firm but polite manner and we can all move on to exploit furry bears instead.

Maria

Novice
treave said:
A new councillor, who has just joined halfway through the great debate on Codexian modification, assuring us that our medical personnel will ensure that the Raumen do not slip any nasty gene-code past them?

How... suspicious.

Fortuitous is more like it, I've been enlightened on the situation by an as of now unmentioned councilor (or military leader? I forget ^^)

I think our hard working men and women in genetic engineering deserve more credit than they receive, they are very talented individuals. This fearmongering leads us nowhere, we need to excel to be able to compete. Genetic engineering is the way to go.

praetor

Arcane
NO! FOOL!

the newly appointed councilor Azira (a Raumen infiltrator, i suppose?) has just doomed us all! now we're at the mercy of the filthy bugs... may MCA help us all

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
To be fair, the repercussions of this choice may not be felt until far down the road.

This won't end us. Not yet, anyway. We still have the Phyrries to handle, and who knows, bio-modification may help us communicate better with them.

I shall try to be optimistic about Codexia's choice once it is set in stone. Meanwhile, it seems best that I prepare a vault for my retreat, guarded with death-bots. Just in case.

edit: LIBERAL FURFAGGOTRY!

lightbane

Arcane
Now then, Humanity's purity is doomed, the Decline will absorb Codexia, I hope you're proud of ITZ.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In a universe as huge as ours, inhabited by various other intelligent species, it would be folly to deny ourselves whatever advantages we can gain as a people.

All modifications have the potential to be useful. Some might be merely cosmetic, and some again downright dangerous. Is that not so for many of our other advances? No risk, no gain. As long as we enter into this with our eyes open.

It was risky to start travelling between the stars, yet we chose to do so, we did not limit ourselves to our own system.
It was risky to engage other species, in war and diplomacy both, yet we chose to do so, instead of insulating ourselves.
Do we now spur this opportunity because we gague the risk too high? Why did we not stop sooner then?

No, I stand by my vote. Option E.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It is not the nature of the technology that is suspect, but the source.

madbringer

Arcane
Zenox%20(Resized).jpg

I know your true face, villain!

But fair enough, we are still a democracy. For now.

Also, about FTL - wouldn't we have obtained that technology from the Raumen by now? Considering how deep our economical ties are running now, it would be only logical to assume we exchanged our Wyrmhole tech for their FTL tech.

Maria

Novice
Very vise words councilor Azira. The benefits truly outweigh the costs and risks in this, our great endeavour.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We haven't. The Barbarian would have noted it if we had.

Chalk it up to the libtard administration being more concerned with pleasing the people with drugs, mods, and failed social programs.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, trading away our largest strategic advantage would probably figure in a C&C seance. That's just too big a decision pass up upon.

So far we've got a fruitful economic exchange, and some of the bugs took it upon themselves to gift us with new knowledge concerning genetic engineering. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just be wary that it doesn't bite, is what I say. Let mods be free, but only a fool of a government wouldn't keep a close watch on the outcome.

madbringer

Arcane
That is a sad turn of events, the mighty Empire of Man faltering under the pinko rhetoric of neo-hippie bugfriends. *shakes head, disappoint*

That being said, keeping our Wyrmhole technology to ourselves may prove an advantage in the future. Surely the Raumen are not the only space-faring species to research FTL drives. It could be traded back to us with one of the others, maybe even the furries, for something less strategically important as the secret of Wyrmholes.

The only worry this councilman has is the immediate defensive weakness, as brutally show not long ago, that not possessing this precious nugget of technology, carries. Tactical combat elasticity is something we should look to as a focus in the future. But, such things are best left to expert evaluation from the likes of Mr. Treave and his men.

Angthoron

Arcane
We should certainly guard our Wyrmhole technologies, and the last thing we would want to do is trade them for FTL with the bug-people. We would be giving up the only thing that evens the scales, as it would take us forever to master FTL techniques while Wyrmholing in a fleet would be a fairly easy achievement.

It is, however, highly important that we learn FTL flight as it will improve our battlefield capabilities significantly. Not only will we be able to swarm in a hundred battleships, we would have these battleships move around swiftly, our smaller vessels taking the enemy capital ships apart and avoiding all the enemy fire! A double advantage, to say the least.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
An alternative to FTL in medium-to-close range ship combat would be the utilization of Wyrmhole movement over short distances. By weaving in and out of holes during combat, not only can our vessels achieve a faster movement speed, but they can also avoid damage with ease provided the calculations and timing are correct. For these, we will require faster, more efficient Wyrmhole generators with a system that is able to calculate trajectory and desired point of exit in a split-second.

Furthermore, the use of Wyrmhole technology as pin-point shielding to deflect or absorb enemy weaponry is something our scientists should look into. It would not be impossible to redirect enemy fire back at them when we master the technology and all the implications that it holds.

lightbane

Arcane
Another solution would be investigating a way to travel even faster than FTL, I say discovering the key to enter the Quasi-space, crossing through the Hyperspace would be fun... until all of the eldrich horrors hiding there notice us and mindfucks everyone.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wyrmhole tech is to make use of existing conditions of space-time continuum, like making use of two entry/exit of one highway.

Further application/development of this tech is to creating those conditions in a controlled manner, so that we could develop them highways according to our wills.

However its energy pricetag cost a bazzilion times bigger than existing methods. Time to research, too.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The backside of democracy.

Should there be a revolution I'd support you fully, admiral treave. We can't have these bug-loving faggets ruin everything we fought for.
The outer rim is with you, admiral.

As opposed to many of the current council members, you've actually experienced the first contact war in person.

LONG LIVE CODEXIA!
:salute:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I appreciate your sacrifice of a dream of an afro-toting Frodexia, councillor, where every citizen can sport a humongous, unnatural 'fro that could only have been achieved by genetic and biological modification. It must have been hard.

In any event, the Council is still a democracy. We may be hamstrung by the Senate and the bureaucracy in the implementation of the decisions that we have voted upon - leading to results wildly beyond our predictions due to their glaring buffoonery - but each of us councillors here must still abide by the decision of the majority despite our conjectures and what-ifs.

Even if that majority may be purple pinkos who have xenophilic tendencies.

I will not wave around in my hand a list of known bug-sympathizers out of respect for the sanctity of this council, nor will I condone any sort of coup that would threaten the stability of Codexia. That would go against the principles of fair Codexia.

taplonaplo

Scholar
While undoubtedly the potential dangers of open genetic modifications are huge, especially that it's done by the Raumen considering out past, I however doubt that the Raumen as a whole would plot against us by such means. As Raumens are individualistic, their loyalty lies towards their clan, not towards their species and as such they have more use of us as consumers right now, so it's in their interest that we remain that way. And it's our interest to reap the benefits of such situation.

The benefits of the modifications outweighs the risks, in my opinion, so i'm in support of option E as well.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Multiheaded dicks are just the tip of the iceberg. This is teh true horror :

cat_furry.jpg

I vote for D

madbringer

Arcane
I am glad that amidst the recent flood of libetardation, voices of reason are raised and put forth. You make this spiteful, venomous old codger proud, gentlemen!

I join in the call to the naysayers and deviants so they would reconsider their votes. It is not too late yet.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
It warms my metal heart to see that Codexia still is worth fighting for.
Amongst the dark reaches of space there still is a glimmer of hope.
That there still is a chance for our glorious civilization.

Even if it comes to a civil war, Codexia will stand tall.
Weakened, perhaps, but nevertheless we will stand tall.

Gentlemen.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Mein Herren, you may expect the update in the next five hours. Mortal toil will not halt it.

Re: FTL travel: It is a bit of an either/or proposition. Codexian and Raumeni vessels are more or less built around their drives. Everything from power systems, to sensors, to ship design... it all depends on these drives. A vessel that had both would need to be a) huge, b) expensive as can be, c) underpowered. It would have neither the strategic range of wyrmhole-only vessels, nor the mobility of FTL-only vessels. Codexian scientists definitely understand FTL travel better now, but there has been no great impetus to substantively alter your fleets to use them. After all, for all their dancing around your fleets... who won the war?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom