Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

praetor

Arcane
just out of spite, flipping the flop from military to mercantile

Angthoron

Arcane
How is it better though? There's plenty of claims of this, but no actual proper explanation. Do explain, so we can see the light and change our ways.

praetor

Arcane
current vote count:

1. option:
A - 8
B - 8
C - 1

2. option:
A - 2
B - 9
C - 6
D - 1

note: herostratus please edit your original post to make it clearer :)

also, pretty please Nickless and laclongquan flip the flop to mercantile so that we could try and sway Orgasm to our cause to challenge these moronic religious fanatics

Angthoron

Arcane
Once more, would you care to explain what is moronic in religious doctrines, and what is brilliant in chase of monetary gains?

You've made no case for it whatsoever, in fact I'm seeing "religious morons" being far more coherent than our brilliant marketologists.

By the way, I'd like to remind that it was the mercantile faction that permitted the pathetic ending to the war that meant to be the moment of glory of Codexia, and it was the same mind-set of convenience when the time came to choose a side. The Codexians can't take a stand? Is that what the moneybags here are trying to tell us?

laclongquan

Arcane
Vote change: Oligarchy Mercantile. I also editted the original vote to be consistent.

Master Angthoron, my main argument against Autocratic Theocracy is presented above a few posts. But in nutshell, I believe this choice is designed by the AI to be our lord and master. AI laws bedamned! From the very first days of their debut I can think of a few ways to circumvent those semantic lines. I refused to be slaves and servants of a soulless emperor-godking.

EDITY EDIT: In case you didnt know what I am talking about:

laclongquan said:
Think! For millennia, not a trace of religion show its face in Codexia's state of affairs. Now, after a serious civil war, when human distrust themselves, when AI got a seat in the senate, when they have some functions in the fleet which is the only tool can suppress them on planets, a religious movement appear that want to place ultimate power into the hands of one individual. Who can be trusted not to be corrupted by ultimate power, who is the final authority, the emperor-god-king of humankind? No human that is for sure. Who else left? Phyr? They ran. Only AI remain. Heh!

Think I am paranoid? The only question I have is that am I paranoid enough.

Radech

Augur
any chance for at late vote for feudalism, think it's the optimal solution. Codexia needs decentralization, and a noble pr. planet running things locally, and keeping each others in check. A planet that doesn't play by the rules would be fair game for other planets, and from our point of view we wouldn't have to worry about individual planets as long as they pay taxes and provide an army when needed

this would allow for decentralized autocracy, and delicious incentives for people to join the war effort (loot and territory), and make treacherous planets easy to re assimilate into the great codexian empire, call a crusade on the commonwealth or the raumen, and we'll have ambitious nobles with their own armies running all over the place raiding, looting and carving out nice pieces of territory for themselves and us.

might bite us in the ass having our armies decentralized, but keeping a smallish contingency force of well trained professional soldiers around just large enough to lay waste a handful of planets should be able to keep minor revolutions in check, and if it escalates, a planet for a descendant would be incentive enough for loyal nobles to get in on the action

if our future government somewhat resembles feudalism, I'm ready for some spacemarines

EDIT: conditional vote change is silly, I'm sticking to BC unless something new comes up

EDIT2: maybe turn nobility into something 100% merit based, even though it remove a lot of the incentive, or maybe we could have AI nobles instead it is largely a managerial role anyway, and this would remove the risk of uprising, though it would also remove the benefits of having ambitious mercenary armies at our disposal, and increase the risks of skynet

The Barbarian

Liturgist
BC - praetor
BC - herostratus
AB - treave
AB - wjw
AB - Undead Phoenix
AB - Angthoron
BC - back to sportforredneck
AB - Maria
CD - Orgasm
AB - Radech
BC - The Cowburner
AB - root
BB - Conkrete Knight
CC - heechee1
AB - Azira
BB - laclongquan
BA - Nickless
AB - juggernaut
AB - Jools

AB = 10
BC = 4
BB = 2
CD = 1
CC = 1
BA = 1

Winner by KO: Theocratic Autocracy

Apologies for not clarifying regarding the voting method, earlier. The Barbarian has decided that in two option votes each shall be consolidated. This way, we do not face that ugly 'worst of all worlds' scenario from a few turns back.

Update is forthcoming.

Angthoron

Arcane
Councillor Laclongquan,

There's an AI on the Council?

I remember The Barbarian explicitly said that:

The Barbarian said:
The Barbarian sincerely believes he mentioned that they lack an 'ego' of the human variety, fairly recently (definitely before the last update) - and that there many failsafes protecting human beings from harm at the hands of AIs.

In other words, the AI doesn't have an ego to follow, and therefore, unless it was programmed to, wouldn't have a desire to run in a Senate. There are mech-mods, certainly, but AIs?

In any case, I do not see Ascension to be worshipping AIs. It is a religion that worships us, the Codexians, our goals and progress, not a machine. In fact, some of our followers are against machines because they believe that they slow down our journey to self-improvement.

Angthoron

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
Winner by KO: Theocratic Autocracy

Apologies for not clarifying regarding the voting method, earlier. The Barbarian has decided that in two option votes each shall be consolidated. This way, we do not face that ugly 'worst of all worlds' scenario from a few turns back.

Update is forthcoming.

Yay! However, if I may, a question! Do we get Ascension or a Barbarian-crafted religion? Methinks many Councillors were roused for the option due to this particular form of worship.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
There are no AIs in the Council. Nor will there be, considering the 'Council' ended with the Codexian Republic. The players may continue to refer to themselves by whatever terms they wish to use, however.

:cool:

or a Barbarian-crafted religion?

This. Fear not, the Barbarian will try to be somewhat original, if he is able.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I...
HAVE...
RETURNED...

terminatoreyes.jpg

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Angthoron said:
Nice tan, Councillor.
Thank you, brother.
You look a bit pale yourself, what has happened while I was gone?

Let me just check the archive...
WHAT?!?!
YOU DID WHAT?

Angthoron

Arcane
Jack said:
Angthoron said:
Nice tan, Councillor.
Thank you, brother.
You look a bit pale yourself, what has happened while I was gone?

Let me just check the archive...
WHAT?!?!
YOU DID WHAT?

We accidentally the Codexian society. :smug:

No offense intended here, but I think that system is even worse. Let me try to explain:

The system introduces weaknesses of it's own. For example, lets say we have the choices:

choice 1: big, medium or small
choice 2: red, green or blue

9 people wants big, but disagrees on whether it shall be green, red or blue. Their opinions are divided evenly on the matter, with 3 votes each on big green, big red and big blue. A small minority of deviants (2 people) want small, but don't really care about colour so they agree on blue. When voting is almost over, 2 more people join the deviants, and 4 people decide that the outcome will be small blue, even though the majority wanted "big" of some sort. If we introduce a third option, such as square, round or irregular, the problem increases exponentially.

I don't really think the new system would have helped us in the hin'in war disaster either. I mean, imagine the following choices:
choice 1: a) War or b) don't war
choice 2: A) don't fund war b)fund war with X c) fund war with Y

The problem the last time was that the majority wanted war, but they divided their votes on how to fund it IIRC. With your new proposed system, this would instead have meant that the peacetards would have won, in spite of most people pushing for war.Imagine the following numbers: 4 people want AB, 5 people want AC, 6 people want BA(no war, no funding). Your new system would have counted this as a victory for the peacetards, even though most of the people voting AB would gladly change their vote to AC if it meant that the war freaks would win.

A better way to solve the problem, I think, is to give each man an alternative vote which will be activated if his first choice doesn't win. E. g. you can vote for War, funded by X, but if X doesn't win, you are happy with funding it with Y. Similarly, you can vote for war, but say that funding it with Y is such a bad idea that if Y wins, you change your vote to peace/no funding.

It sounds complicated but it's not that complicated and you could always outsource the work to some of the other LARPers in this thread and I think this method will account for the will of the playerbase much better.

That guy who's always counting the votes wrote my vote as B A(C) which was a pretty good way of writing that I preferred BA, but would flop to BC if my alternative didn't win.

Of course, we would have lost the current vote anyways so it's not as if I write this out of butthurt of losing.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I can't leave you for minute without you destroying half of Codexia, starting a civil war and finally settles for a machine goddess worshiping cult to lead our empire.

Don't worry, I will get us back on track in no time.
We will follow the path of righteousness and glory once again.

Angthoron

Arcane
I disagree with esteemed Herostratus. The problem with the previous system was that people had a certain vision of what they wanted the Codexia to be, and they voted a package. In the end, the package would be badly warped, often combining the uncombineable, like Brutal Fighting + No Resupply. This system is a step towards the better in my personal opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom