Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I can slander the Commonwealth however I want. They've thrown their lot in with the aliens. I'm sure of it. Remember how the Raumen were divided into civil war. The Hin'in probably had a hand in that. They probably have a hand in this too. Creating internal troubles to take the heat off their cowardly gray skinned guts.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
After the dust settles we will seriously need to consider revamping our system of government and economics. If we're all still alive.

No defections to the Commonwealth of Leonid, gentlemen. We stand with Codexia and go down with the ship if necessary.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Current status of territories held in the Raumen Expanse compared to the Hin'in -
Are we holding more territories than they are? How are the Raumen responding to our presence currently, compared to their reaction to the Hin'in?

Effect of Commonwealth formation on military assets-
How many of the current serving vessels hail from Commonwealth worlds (construction, manpower, etc)?

Commonwealth willingness to negotiate-
Will they be willing to at least provide some form of financial support through this war in return for recognized independence?

1) You are holding roughly equal Raumeni territories, with the slight advantage to the Hin'in. There's a tenuous balance. The tide has only begun to turn. Since there's very little presence on the ground, on either side, the Raumeni are just sort of... watching. And probably furiously rebuilding. They're still involved in the fighting, but in a very, very limited way.

2) Very few fighting vessels are sourced from the Commonwealth worlds. Manpower from those worlds is comparatively minor. You do not foresee a serious potential for naval mutiny/insurrection.

3) The Commonwealth is almost as ruined as you are. If you asked, you would likely be told that 'Sorry, but our needs come first'. And that's contingent on you recognizing them, in any case.

Luan

Educated
Edit: Changed option 3 from C -> B

C
A
*B*

These seceding scum! How DARE enact gross treason during Codexia's time of need, when Humanity must stand TOGETHER. We did not need conscription. Man threw himself to the front lines to protect home and family. Man was united, or focus was clear, our path righteous! This high treason will be dealt with swiftly and with extreme prejudice! We shall burn their shadows forever into the gaping maw of Leonid!

We must also not relent against the Hin'in! Even while we bleed, so do the Hin'in. We bleed with pride, we bleed without regret, we bleed by choice, we bleed as the masters of our fate.

No man stands taller than the last man standing! Codexia will stand upon a pedestal of their charred corpses.
War brothers, bleed with me!

laclongquan

Arcane
We halfbeggared the Codexia in the process of capture half the Raumen systems. will you have us beggar ourself to push them back to their original territory? And then what? Burn ourself in the altar of conquest?

Stop is good. Delay action now.

In dealing with commonwealth my vote is wavering. I do not ever contemplate civil massacres to hold the empire together, but I dont like secession, either. The question is whether secession is imminent and unreversable.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
What sort of military strength do they possess?

The military strength of the Commonwealth is negligible, though they have formed nascent militias. Their few warships are basically merchant vessels crash-converted to gunboats.

EDIT:

The index page has been updated with the last five entries.

Angthoron

Arcane
After a bit of considering I change my vote to CAB.

We can't afford colonies rebelling, especially in times of war. This is a direct treason and it must be met in force before the colonies strengthen. Yes, this will take a part of our armada elsewhere, but it will only be a tiny fraction of ships that could simply jump in, bombard, and leave.

We would be more accepting of Commonwealth if it actually had the balls to wait until the war was over. Instead, they betrayed the whole of mankind by planting a dagger in our backs. That will not float. C

Regarding the xenoes, we must continue the fight. The time to rest is gone, we do not have it. The tide has changed and to pause now would be stupid and reckless. If defeating the enemy in mass is our only option, well, then it's the option we must take. A

Where do we get the funding for this, though? Well, frankly, I've looked at our budget and I'm surprised that our social funding is still at the level it used to be pre-war - or near that anyway. We're at war dear Council, and it's a war of survival fought against two empires. What social programmes? B

Radisshu

Prophet
Wow, this is probably the most interesting vote so far. So much at risk, so much to think of. After some consideration, though, I must go with

B We will deal with them in time, but the Hin'in comes first
A We mustn't relent, not now
C This will lead to problems later, yes, but our production mustn't halter. Once the Hin'in are destroyed, we can deal with intrinsic issues.

wjw

Augur
1. C : Deal with the rebellion. They betrayed us in the middle of a battle. That's unforgivable. An example must be set.

2. B: Risking a two front war is plain stupid. We have equal 'Raumen' territory. We have proven our strength. We need to think about the Raumen Rebuilding like shit. The coming years wont be easy.

3. I honestly don't know what to chose. Inflation is probably the worst on the long run, so i wont go for that. So i will follow the majority on either A or B. For now I will vote A. (FLIPFLOPPED TO B)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Flipped my flop.

That the Raumen aren't subjugated, just rebuilding and biding their time, makes it risky to further stretch our resources on two fronts.

The second option now entirely depends on how the Raumen will treat us - if they plan to raise a resistance and evict us, or if we will manage to convince them of a better future under our umbrella.

I may flop again on that one.

Angthoron

Arcane
A question to the mighty Barbarian, as we would likely be able to know these things:

1) What are the Raumen's attitudes towards us and towards Hin'in right now? Are we equally resented or are we actually liked for "liberating" them? What's the overall feel towards us?

2) Regardless of question 1, what is their military like at the moment? Are they prepared to fight us and them and all and everyone? I believe the Council was possibly lead to believe that the Raumen are indeed out of the game as the Barbarian indicated earlier, but they could just strike at us once we've won the war for them and that would kind of sort of suck. A lot.

I believe this is important information, and the sort that Codexian intelligence would have been gathering.

TL;DR: How much of a threat are the Raumen at this moment and for foreseeable future?

Radisshu

Prophet
Shouldn't the Raumen have become convinced now that the Hin'in actively are subjugating them?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Doesn't mean they trust us.

There's a reason they attacked all alien scum currently present in their territory.

At any rate, we can afford to be a bit more inward-looking now. We've proven we can actually take on one of the bigger galactic players. This will gain us some street cred.

Angthoron

Arcane
Possibly, but then it just becomes a war of waste, because not only are we just at the proposed 50-50, we're also battered to shits. We need a bit more data on the Raumen.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Raumen consider humanity to be almost as bad as the Hin'in. They (rightly) believe you both covet their territories. As such, they are defending their worlds and rebuilding their shattered fleets as quickly as possible. In the future, they may be able to intervene - but that's likely many months or even a few years away.

Are we equally resented or are we actually liked for "liberating" them?

The former.

What's the overall feel towards us?

You are considered to be cynical - at best - and scavengers at worst.

Regardless of question 1, what is their military like at the moment? Are they prepared to fight us and them and all and everyone?

Their military system has been largely devastated. A few clans retain considerable strength, but nowhere near enough to strategically influence the conflict.

but they could just strike at us once we've won the war for them and that would kind of sort of suck. A lot.

Depending on when the conflict ends, that's not an unreasonable analysis. They have no wish to be ruled by either party, in any case. In fact, they react worse to outside authority than a Codexian might - after all, they are a very individualistic people who have a contempt for authority beyond their kinship group.

TL;DR: How much of a threat are the Raumen at this moment and for foreseeable future?

At this moment, very little. In the future, possibly a fairly significant threat. It depends on the course of this war. Right now, their trade network has been devastated, but their worlds remain largely untouched. You and the Hin'in only have forces stationed on a select few of the most strategic ones. Since this is a clannish society, the insularity inherent in that system has absorbed a great deal of the impact that enemy occupation of the spacelanes would normally entail.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sounds like it would be safer for us to keep the Raumen under two spheres of influence. This will be more of an 'Afghanistan' than Phyr ever was. I'll stick with my current vote then.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh, and another question if I may? What is the attitude of the clans that were/(are?) our allies at the beginning? Have they, too, come to dislike the Codexians, or do they accept our decision to have pulled back when shit suddenly hit the fan the way it did?

And in unrelated news, I'd like to ask the Council to consider that we should A) Cut funding to social programmes instead of creating a gigantic inflation (social programmes cut --> upset citizens (but also the understanding that YES! FINAL PUSH! AFTER THIS WE EAT THEIR HEARTS AND BAG THEIR WOMEN! --> for just a few months).

Meantime, hyperinflation will mean a total devastation of economy in the long run and the fate of the Roman Empire. Additionally we won't be able to dominate in the region economically for about twenty years.

So please, please reconsider going the C road, it really will screw us over within a turn or two. Raumen will TOTALLY devastate us once they're rebuild and we're deep in shit trying to cope with our decisions.

And the second request to the Council is this: Let us leave the Raumen alone. We do not want their worlds. If we manage to preserve our economy after the war, we'll dominate them and make them our sweatshop boys for years and years. Occupying them in our present state is a ridiculous notion.

wjw

Augur
I agree with councillor Angothoron. We should concentrate the third vote option on either A and B, to prevent this inflation. Stick to what has most votes now...

A: 5
B: 2
C: 8

So... could all B-voters (treave, Angthoron) switch to A?

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm afraid A is also a bad option, simply because our strategems require brute force. Removing resupplies puts us on even footing with the Hin'in again and that's what we want to avoid. We're winning thanks to the bulk of our fleets and the power of the economy. Removing either leads to either a potential failed war effort or to a potential failed future war effort.

Neither is a good option.

Once again - Option B sounds painful. It will mean tightening a lot of bolts. It will mean unhappy people and crime. It may mean rebellions, but if we do the right thing with treating Leonid and their confederacy as gutless traitors that hadn't had the heart to aid the rest - the people that now must suffer cutbacks because of Leonid - we can strengthen the patriotic movement for the final push. Once the push is done, the programmes are restored. Yes, there will be victims to this, but they will not cause a direct immediate or delayed crisis.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well said, we must come out of this war on a stronger footing than the Raumen both economically and militarily to ensure that our control over this region of space is uncontested.

As for flipping the third option vote, we are still one vote away from reaching a deadlock there even if we do flip. Furthermore, I'm entirely unconvinced that reducing military funding is the way to go for now. We need a strong fleet to finish the war swiftly.

edit: Reviewing the situation again, option B in no way leads to a cessation of hostilities, permanent or otherwise. We will still make forays into enemy territory, but at a slower rate that will preserve more of our forces. I feel the aliens' very nature precludes them from divining any tactics that will overcome our Codexian Wave strategy. Barring any hidden superweapons, of course.

If this is the case, the need for a fully resupplied fleet is still urgent. Attrition rates are high and once we lose sufficient amounts of vessels to the need for social welfare programs, we may be overwhelmed by the Hin'in once again. If option B was a confirmation of a truce, this would be different. But it is not. We will still need to fight.

In this case I will not condone reduction of military funding at all.

Luan

Educated
I have changed my stance on option 3. I agree with the other councilors and have aligned my choice from C -> B, cutting back on social programs rather than court inflation.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I warned you. I told you that if we kept pushing the war the people would rise up. But you didn't listen, you wanted your war. This is a sad day for this council...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom