Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex Top 10, take 2

NiM82

Prophet
Fallout
Baldur's Gate 2
--
Fallout 2
Morrowind
PST
--
System Shock 2
Arcanum
Kotor 2
Deus Ex
VtM: Bloodlines.

dragonfk

Erudite
All Time Favourites:
Baldurs Gate 2
Arcanum

One Step Behind All Time Favourites:
Fallout 2
KOTOR
Planescape:Torment

Just Two Steps Behind All Time Favourites:
Gothic
Wizardry 8
Arx Fatalis
Might & Magic VII
Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquarade

JrK

Prophet
1. Fallout (never had such an easy time repeatedly starting and finishing the game, see FO2)

2. Arcanum (didn't proceed the game beyond the dwarven mines but what was there was already beautiful)

3. Fallout 2 (for now, since I didn't complete PST yet. It's marred by the fact I have played it halfway and got disinterested in New Reno for some reason, haven't seriously played it again, but the plethora of choices&consequences are better than Fallout's, which wins overall because it's more coherent)

4. Daggerfall (love it for it's extreme freeroaming and random questing, superb music, athmospheric dungeons [somehow], mature aspect and character system)

5. Planescape: Torment (haven't finished it, didn't get beyond the second city. Falls below FO2/DF because of it's rather extreme linearity)

6. Baldur's Gate (great athmosphere, one of the other games I have no trouble starting and finishing)

7. KOTOR II (hugely intruiging, sadly the unfinished parts are anticlimactic. Still, I judge this game by what it should have been cause it's all there)

8. Mask ot Betrayer (what NWN2 should have been... NWN2's montyhaul/hackslash parts are SO infuriating, might rank higher when I finish it, didn't get beyond the first city)

9. Baldur's Gate 2 (I played this game exclusively for 5 years, but retrospectively I can't comprehend it... I think I did it just for trying every character combatwise, extreme powergaming)

10. Morrowind (exploring goodness)

Now, I want to add that of these games I have only finished Fallout, BG I/II, Morrowind (without bloodmoon) and KOTOR II. I have lots of RPGing ahead of me but just get busy with other games that manage to grab my interest first. I also have a bad case of the restart-disease, I have a hard time finishing lengthy games. Other RPG's I've played: Oblivion(actually, I have trouble naming it RPG), NWN with all expansion (horrible, all of em, played some OK modules though... also fun for multiplay!), Diablo II (same as with OB, haven't finished this one), ToEE (excellent combat, but quickly boring), KOTOR I (too fucking kiddy for my taste), IWDI/II (both unfinished because of boring) and a plethora of jRPG's on the SNES of which I only could accept LufiaII.

On my "to do" list rank the Ultima games, SS2 (when I get it to work, damn XP!!), Deus Ex (need to get a hold of it sometime), Bloodlines (gotta love Troika), Gothic II (have it lying around), Prelude to Darkness (good recommendation in another thread), Wizardry 8 (good ol' RPG).

EDIT: Hmm, I'm going to make this into a .txt file so I can remind myself what to play... :D

made

Arcane
Arcanum
PS:T
---
Ultima 6
Ultima 7
Ultima 5
---
Morrowind
BG 2
VtM:Bloodlines
IWD
Ambermoon

MasPingon

Arcane
Fallout
P:T

Arcanum
Deus Ex
Fallout 2

Gothic 2:NotR
Baldurs Gate 2
Jagged Aliance 2
Gothic
KOTOR

Damn, that wasn't easy

roshan

Arcane
Favourites:
Planescape Torment
Fallout 2

Great Games:
Icewind Dale

Honorable Mentions:
Icewind Dale 2
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Mask of the Betrayer

vrok

Liturgist
Oblivion and Jade Empire... Fuck you.

Then I'll vote the following, in the order of best graphics:
Quake 4
Doom 3
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo
Quake 2
Quake
Doom 2
Doom

They are RPGs because you play the role of the hero and you can use an arsenal of different weapons!½!!!1 Also, I've never played any of the Halo games.

Morbus

Scholar
Ok...

Favourites
- Fallout
- Vampire Bloodlines

Good ones
- Arcanum
- Gothic 3
- Planescape
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Ultima VI

Honorable mentions
- Wasteland
- Morrowind
- Van Buren
- Ultima VII
- Arx Fatalis (I like the atmosphere)
- Silent Storm (it's TBS rather RPG, but it's a hell of a game nonetheless)

- The Sims... (yeah, it's a RPG)

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
1. Daggerfall
2. Fallout

3. Might and Magic 7
4. Arcanum
5. Gothic 2

6. Fallout 2
7. Morrowind
8. Wizardry 8
9. Planescape Torment
10. Baldur's Gate

deus

Liturgist
The Superhero League of Hoboken
Torment
--
Fallout
Gothic II
Ultima IV
--
Deus Ex
Escape from Hell
Final Fantasy V
Might & Magic VI
Wizardry 8

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So, post 2 favourites, 3 good ones and up to 5 honourable mentions. 3 points to each of the favourites, 2 to the good ones, and 1 to the mentions. "

1. NWN1

2. BG2

----------------

1. FO2

2. FF8

3. JE

--------------------

1. FO1

2. BG1

3. ARC

4. FF6

5. KOTOR

stargelman

Scholar
0 PS:T
1 Bloodlines

2 Arcanum
3 Fallout
4 Daggerfall

5 Ultima VII
6 Fallout 2
7 Ultima VIII (and you can just STFU)
8 Morrowind
9 Gothic 3

Favorites

1. Fallout
2. Planescape: Torment

How cliche of me....

The Other Favorites AKA "Good Ones"

1. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
2. Arcanum
3. Fallout 2

The Other, Other Favorites AKA "Honorable Mentions"

1. Ultima 7
2. Wasteland
3. Daggerfall
4. Baldur's Gate 1
5. Way of the Samurai (partially a joke, partially not, here pending a Bloodlines replay)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Favorites:
Planescape: Torment (leaps above the others)
Gothic 1 (living, believable world ftw)

Good ones:
Fallout 1
VtM: Bloodlines
Gothic 2

Honorable Mentions:
Fallout 2
Arcanum (great roleplaying and interactivity buried under so many annoyances)
Jade Empire (a surprisingly fresh story, a lot of dialogues with decent but polarised roleplaying opportunities, overall a much more solid effort than the KotORs)
KotOR 2
KotOR

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
Ultima VII
---
Fallout
Gothic
Gothic 2
---
Fallout 2
Gothic 3
Planescape: Torment
Ultima IV
Ultima Underworld

Fallout really belongs at the top, but for personal reasons, Star Trail and Ultima VII are unmoveable.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
1. Starflight
2. Baldur's Gate 2

3. Starflight 2
4. Fallout
5. Gothic

6. PS:T
7. Dues Ex
8. Fallout 2
9. Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed
10. Phantasy Star IV

I love using these lists to find quality games to plat. It's always fun scanning everyone's favorites and finding some obscure games I've never heard of before.

I'm surprised to see Morrowind on so many people's lists. When I played it I thought it played like an MMO without anyone else around -- a complete waste of my time.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Favorites :

- BG2
- VtM : Bloodlines

Good :

- Kotor
- Deus Ex
- Morrowind

Honourable Mentions

- BG 1
- PS : T
- Kotor 2
- Gothic 3 (I haven't played the other Gothics, sorry :P )
- Might and Magic 6 (Think that was my first FPS view RPG/dungeon romp, made me fall in love with that viewpoint in RPGs)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
All right, got some more time, so I'll expand a bit on my choices.

Favs

Fallout.
The freedom, the great ending including the slides, the postapoc world, the great quests, violent encounters, top notch voice acting and the fun faces. This game did almost everything right and was a blast to play through.

Planescape: Torment
One of the best stories I've seen in a computer game and the best one in a crpg. The many varied ways to play thorugh the game, the locales, art direction and great npc's. This game was a great rpg, if you like a well told tale. I do and love it.

Good ones

Baldurs Gate 2
It was huge and seemed rather open at the start. The amount of quests, the class specific ones (keep, theatre) added to the replayabilty, a number of fun npc's, the great art direction and the fun main story about the Bhaalspawn all made this one of my fav games. It felt rather railroaded after act 2 and the combat isn't one of it's best points, but even then it's defenitely one of the best rpg's ever.

Arcanum
I absolutely loathed the combat, the dull and stupid dungeons and the unbalanced game mechanics. However the world was well crafted and fun to explore and filled with real roleplaying possibilities. A flawed gem, but brilliant nonetheless.

Fallout 2
Had almost everything that made fallout great and often improved on it. However it missed some of the atmosphere and the story just wasn't as interesting. Still, it ranks as one of the best in my book.

Honourable

Dark Sun
A great spiritual predecessor to Baldurs Gate 1. You start out with a death sentence in an arena and work your way up to become the leaders of a rebellion. Great gameworld, fun quests and a rather good overall story. Still highly recommended today.

Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed
This game has everything that it's predecessor had, but improved on it. A fun corny sci-fi setting, cool combat and an entire solar system filled with quests to explore. Still worthy to play today, even without the nostalgia factor.

Ultima 7.2 Serpent Isle
Took me ages to get this bitch running, but it was pure joy when I finally managed. For the first time that I could explore a huge living breathing world.

Darklands
This game kept me locked in front of my monitor for ages. So many things to do, try out and see. Even on my last replay I got new encounters. It's aged nowadays, but for a fun romp through a medieval Germany where the old tales about witches and demons are true, get this.

NWN2: Mask of the betrayer.
It still has a shitty camera, over the top monty haul approach and rather uninteresting combat. It does however offer one of the best roleplaying experiences in ages. Get it, it's everything nwn2 should've been at the start.

Games I liked, but missed that certain thing to make them classics.

Starflight 2 (This game took away an entire summer of my youth. The huge galaxy, many races and great story kept me playing this)

Kotor (great start, but felt a bit boring from half way through.)

Kotor 2 (suburb, but then you get to the end and all the cut content)

Star Control 2 (rpg? never mind, it's a great open ended game)

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (great sf game, but the sequel was better. Still the alien mission is one of my coolest gameplay experiences ever)

Ultima 7 (exploring Brittania was great. But I played 7.2 first, so it has the nostalgia factor)

Jade Empire (was a lot more fun than expected. Solid bioware rpg, nothing more and nothing less)

BG2: Throne of Bhaal (fun dungeon romp, though you need that pacth from one of the developers to get the most out of it)

Vampire: The masquerade (Another pure Troika game that just needed more time and polish to become great. The end kinda fucked it up for me)

Prelude to Darkness (it was a great roleplaying game for me. When it didn't crash every 5 minutes, that is)

Gothic 2 (it's hard, has a great breathing world to explore and looked stunning at the time. It's a bit railroaded at the end, but still a great game to play)

Avernum 4 (If you like exploration, you'll like this. It feels indie all over and the setting is getting a bit tired nowadays. Still, it's the best avernum yet and great fun to play)

EDIT Excnhanged Starflight for Dark Sun. Both are great games, but dark Sun is more of an rpg.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My list:

FO2 (yeah, I know...)
PS:T

FO1
BG2
VTMB

NWN2 + MotB
Arcanum
KOTOR2
KOTOR1
TOEE

kris

Arcane
Arcanum
Fallout 2

----

Fallout
KOTOR
BG2

----

Curse of the azure bonds
Buck Rogers: countdown to doomsday
KOTOR2
Vampire: Bloodlines
NWN2

There are some great games I never played like Torment and Ultima ones, unfortunately I been spoiled so much on Torment on these forums that I doubt I will ever play it trough...

VenomByte

Scholar
Bloodlines
Morrowind
----
Fallout
Fallout 2
Gothic 3
----
BG2
NWN
Wizardry 8
Daggerfall

Favorites:
1)Kotor 2 (it's the TEH GAME for me and I'm blind to all of it's faults)
2)Ultima 7:Serpent Isle (enjoyably morbid and sentimental at the same time)

Good Ones:
1)Ultima 5:Lazarus (I was going to put Black Gate here, but the world and people in Lazarus were just more interesting)
2)Planescape:Torment (I likes to read)
3)Baldur's Gate 2

Honorable mentions:
1)Bloodlines (I tried hard to fit it in the upper sections, but failed... still one of the best games ever imo)
2)Betrayal at Krondor
3)Anachronox
4)Fallout
5)Might and Magic: World of Xeen (nothing original, but makes old-school hacking and crawling surprisingly userfriendly and fun... besides it's just weird to kill robots in the clouds)

Ignoring the love for Kotor 2, I'd say that my most favorite RPG style is Ultima 7 style: breathing live world where every npc is a defined individual with a personality, exploration galore, world interactivity. But I do like choices and consequences too (actually nowadays I'd hate a game without some choice or illusion of it) and prefer some actually good combat in a while.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

1. Fallout 1&2
2. PS:T

3. NWN2+ Mask of the Betrayer
4. Vampire Bloodlines
5. Arcanum

7. KOTOR 2
8. BG2
9. Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail
10. Morrowind

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom