Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

trustno1code

Prophet
FUNDED on Kickstarter ~180k - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

The next installment in the acclaimed BoUT-series will be unleashed in the beginning of 2015 and it will be filled to the brim with puzzles, eccentric characters and the trademark BoUT-humor. But we want to do more; more epic, more shiny, more community involvement, more... of everything!

In our humble opinion, these are the key ingredients for a great BoUT2 game:
  • A fantasy adventure story with about 20 hours of pointing and clicking
  • The trademark BoUT-humor, lovingly spoofing WoW, LotR, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Discworld, D&D, The Hobbit and many more
  • Hundreds of weird, yet oddly logical puzzles and our well-proven "Multi-Character-Gameplay"
  • The established four playable characters Wilbur, Nate, Ivo und Critter
  • Numerous beautiful locations, improved through today's computer alchemy - and your pledge! (see Goals - Projection Mapping)
  • An ensemble of quirky characters, both well-established and hot off the drawing board
  • An epic soundtrack with many new compositions
Thanks to our brothers in arms at Nordic Games, the core game is already fully funded and will be released beginning of 2015. It will be out on PC, Mac, Linux, in English and German, and there will be a DRM-free version available (boxed and digital).

In fall 2014 we will make the game available chapter by chapter via Steam Early Access. All backers who have pledged $25 or more automatically have the opportunity to receive the game via Steam Early Access for free.

We're planning to release the game on Steam and GoG. If both agree and provide us with keys (they did in the past), we will let you choose which one you would prefer.

As mentioned, the game is actually funded by Nordic, they're using crowd-funding to up the production quality and add features. Stretch goals add specific things, like:

Side-quests & Outfits ($95.000)
  • Side quests: Similar to RPGs there will be optional puzzle chains besides the main puzzles, that you can choose to solve, but don't have to.

:greatjob:

Side-quests & Outfits ($95.000)
  • Outfits: For solving side quests you will receive not only achievements, but also pieces of clothing that characters can equip, and that you can combine in different ways to create unique outfits.

:hmmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyeball

Arcane
I liked the first one but I'll be fucked if I'm going to pay Money up front for a second installment in the series, mainly due to the expansion which, I am told, revolved around the insanely annoying pet critter from the original game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
As far as I'm concerned they should do all the games around Critter. Didn't really like any of the other characters, but really liked him.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Backing this one without hesitation. TBoUT was a thoroughly enjoyable adventure, oozing with quality and charm.
The pitch video does a good job at covering all the necessary topics potential backers would be likely to bring up, the technology allowing for dynamic camera movements seems rather impressive, too. Well done.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As much as I did really like the first one, why did they need to do a Kickstarter for this? This was not a OMG! HARD CORE SERIOUS ADVENTURE GAME that Publishers would run away from.

Name

Cipher
The Book of Unwritten Tales is a extraordinary game, but The Critter Chronicles has overstayed its welcome.
Then we have The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief which is good until you get to the stupid ending, and Battle Worlds: Kronos Kickstarter game which has irritating and inane dialogues and monologues popping all over the place.
And now they are not only doing episodics games which may be the reason for The Raven being so stupid, they are also using Kickstarter to help their publisher master to get more money???
The decline has long been with them.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As much as I did really like the first one, why did they need to do a Kickstarter for this? This was not a OMG! HARD CORE SERIOUS ADVENTURE GAME that Publishers would run away from.
I think the answer is that they don't, and this is just a pre-order scheme that might take some people for extra money. At least the video is honest. :lol:

I did like the original BoUT, but not enough to contribute to a game that doesn't actually need the help.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I'm not sure I understand the role of sidequests in an adventure game...

trustno1code

Prophet
Goal reached in 30h so Projection-Mapping enhancements and Kickstarter swag are in.

comic_funding_goal_reached_eng.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I liked the first one but I'll be fucked if I'm going to pay Money up front for a second installment in the series, mainly due to the expansion which, I am told, revolved around the insanely annoying pet critter from the original game.

I liked it more than the first one, but they are both outclassed by any random Daedalic release. And The Raven was a horrible bore that featured 70% of its content in the first of three episodes. King Art are either horrible budgeters or aspiring scamsters; my guess is both.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I liked it more than the first one, but they are both outclassed by any random Daedalic release.
Gotta disagree with that. Daedalic never went above mediocrity before Deponia, and not above BoUT until the sequel.

Criminally wrong. Harvey's New Eyes (German version) is the best adventure game of the last 10 years and probably the funniest game ever made.

But I guess

The trademark BoUT-humor, lovingly spoofing WoW

is a strong draw for 1,366 backers, so who am I to argue?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, the first Edna and Harvey game was rubbish, but I suppose it's possible the sequel was good. Never played it. But it doesn't really invalidate my point either way, as it was released a month apart from Deponia 2

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Do not trust Wikipedia:

Mobygames said:
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

Release Date: Aug 26, 2011

Mobygames said:
Deponia

Countries: Austria, Germany, Switzerland
Release Date: Jan 27, 2012

Daedalic had a lot of trouble with international publishing early on, so HNE was delayed by over a year in the international markets.

But this is a pointless derail, so eh.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Haven't played the first one, but I'm considering backing at $55 to receive both game...
I'd rather just buy the first game cheap somewhere, tho.

Found it for $10 at Shiny Loot, but no Steam no sale. I don't trust shops I've never heard of before to carry my inventory. Also I want it all in one place. I find it for $10 on Steam I'll buy it, and maybe back this if I think it's fun :P
(gog would be fine too but they are also $20)

Last edited:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I'd bought it a long time ago on GOG, but never played it til I saw this thread.

It's pretty ok. Cool puzzles, huge inventory. Pretty art. Nice characters, dialogue, and story.

I really hate the one "Interact" button, but that seems to be the rule these days.

Dexter

Arcane
I'm surprised at the amount of people praising this. I thought the first was average at best and most of the humour fell flat on its face. Enjoyed any number of Daedalic games that I've played so far more (including Whispered World) and even Deck 13 titles like Ankh or Jack Keane.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More like Dreck 13, eh? Eh? But I agree, Jack Keane was also better than BoUT.

trustno1code

Prophet
Ended a couple of days ago with a total of ~180k (counting PayPal), so it'll ship with Projection-Mapping, side-quests and an orchestral score.

JlP5dH4.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
With everyone mostly recovered from the holiday season (has anyone seen Phil?), KING Art Games has decided to add some additional finishing touches to The Book of Unwritten Tales 2. The fifth and final chapter (i.e. the full game) is now set to release on February 20th for PC, Mac, and Linux.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 will be released on February 20th 2015 on Steam, GOG and numerous other platforms, as well as a classic boxed version.​

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I haven't seen a thread about this yet.

It's been years since I played the first game, and forgot most of the story, so I don't know why exactly Nate is falling from the sky in the opening sequence. Just started the game and I'm in the first chapter. Graphics are nice, just as in the first game, and the humour seems good too. Too many pop culture references for my taste though.

Only in the first couple of rooms there are references to Skyrim, Discworld, Final Fantasy, Minecraft and Game of Thrones that I found by examining objects. Well, at least they're not totally in your face.

Eyeball

Arcane
Don't forget Portal, KOTOR and WOW. And that's just on the library screen!

Nope

Liturgist
Just finished my playthrough. I don't think it's quite as reliant on references as the first game was since I recall finding the constant WoW stuff in that one a lot more intrusive.
It was pretty fun, only minor complaint I have would be that they leave a few loose ends probably for sequel purposes. I'd help kickstart their next one if they do the same thing again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom