Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Released

Johannes

Arcane
So many clowns without a controller... Do you have a tube monitor too? Dot matrix printer? And no bullshit about "purist PC" mouse and keyboard. PC invented ridiculous peripherals like flight sim throttles and steering wheels/pedals for racing.
Fuck off

Outmind

Augur
Actually, yes, yes i do still have a crt monitor. You wanna know why? It works. It's been working perfectly for the last 10 years, the picture is just the way i like it and black is actually black.

Why would i buy a controller when keyboard + mouse does just fine in virtually any environment? The original boa played perfectly while using the mouse, so I don't know why they wouldn't offer the option to people this time around. In the end, you can choke on your own bile for what i care since people have been expressing the need for a mouse fix from the moment the game was released, and it is bound to be included in an upcoming patch.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Maybe the site should change its name to AGGodex* instead of RPGCodex, if we want to cover non-RPGs. It would ease up a lot of tension and cut some pointless bickering. Just saying.

I cannot into Isaac because of repulsive and ditutbing aesthetics, by the way, but all the power to the people who enjoy it.

*Actually Good Games
Tradition is better, just tell autists to fuck off. But does this game is really AGG?

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm finding it vastly easier than the original, but maybe that's because of how much time the first one was my "I'm listening to an audiobook and want something to do with my reflexes" go-to?

but it's easier because I feel like I'm not so often getting completely dogshit useless items, and because the winged demonic vomit baby class unlock is easy to get and suits my playstyle.

I do still wish there were some way to handle some of the random elements, though. like...maybe if you had two or three items presented to you on each floor's prize room and could pick one? so you're not just completely at the will of fate?

and the even more enthusiastic focus on shit makes me roll my eyes. I've liked McMillen's loathsome abortionpunk style since way back in the halcyon days of the vileness of his 90s Badlands flash games (fucking Carious Weltling), but that was because it was such penetrating body horror. piles of shit that burst everywhere when you shoot at them? not so much body horror.

and woo for native controller support, seriously. some games it just works better for.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I didn't notice it at first but there is a difficulty toggle on the character select screen. Normal is fairly easy for Isaac veterans. Hard cranks it up to Wrath of the Lamb difficulty. Also keep in mind chances are you've yet to unlock the difficulty boost that most people did in original Isaac. Not sure what triggers it here. 10 heart kills? 10 Isaac kills?

crawlkill

I didn't notice it at first but there is a difficulty toggle on the character select screen. Normal is fairly easy for Isaac veterans. Hard cranks it up to Wrath of the Lamb difficulty. Also keep in mind chances are you've yet to unlock the difficulty boost that most people did in original Isaac. Not sure what triggers it here. 10 heart kills? 10 Isaac kills?

yeah, I haven't taken down Satan yet so I wanna crash a few more runs before I switch over to hard. I don't mean the lower-seeming difficulty as a complaint at all, it's kind of nice that I can blow the game up a bit at first here. and the constant unlocks and new items really light my Skinner box.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Five heart kills seems to be what activated Everything Is Terrible for me.

I don't know whether I'd class Isaac a good game as such. It compels you to keep playing for what I consider all the wrong reasons, gratifying the reward centres without really requiring you to exert yourself overmuch. You play again after a bad run because you seek to have a more rewarding run, you play again after a good run because you seek to keep feeling that easy gratification.

Not that this stopped me from racking up an embarrassing number of hours in the original. I even have all the Steam achievements, most of them acquired while drunk.

I don't agree that the music in the soundtrack is bad, but don't think it works for the game. There's no melody, it's subdued, and you end up just ignoring it. The second time I played, I had the music off for a couple of hours before even noticing a difference. It's more suitable for just sitting back and doing nothing at all.

crawlkill

I don't know whether I'd class Isaac a good game as such. It compels you to keep playing for what I consider all the wrong reasons, gratifying the reward centres without really requiring you to exert yourself overmuch. You play again after a bad run because you seek to have a more rewarding run, you play again after a good run because you seek to keep feeling that easy gratification.

it really is super manipulative that way, but that in itself is a feat. and I usually feel like it's my fault I've died, especially when I feel like I've got rockin drops and still manage to get eaten by a grue. it does have an extraordinary treadmill thing going on, but there are worse things to do with your brain. my advice is to turn off the music and turn the sound effects real low and turn on an audiobook so you can actually have a cognitive experience while BoI electrifies your lizard brain.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There's definitely Skinner-esque design but if it were a bad game I simply wouldn't play. I've ditched a lot of crappy arpgs after a few hours. Isaac is good because while the design is limited it does everything fairly well and wraps it up in discreet 45-60 min runs. I got a copy of Mojo Rampage from DramaticPopcorn and I'd say my biggest issue with it is the pacing. Whereas Isaac runs have a nice flow to them, Mojo Rampage feels a bit too drawn out and stuffed with filler.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So many clowns without a controller... Do you have a tube monitor too? Dot matrix printer? And no bullshit about "purist PC" mouse and keyboard. PC invented ridiculous peripherals like flight sim throttles and steering wheels/pedals for racing.

Even if I had a controller I'd still rather use a mouse. Twin stick shooters are a way to make overhead shooters playable without a mouse but it's still an inferior option.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
There's definitely Skinner-esque design but if it were a bad game I simply wouldn't play. I've ditched a lot of crappy arpgs after a few hours. Isaac is good because while the design is limited it does everything fairly well and wraps it up in discreet 45-60 min runs. I got a copy of Mojo Rampage from DramaticPopcorn and I'd say my biggest issue with it is the pacing. Whereas Isaac runs have a nice flow to them, Mojo Rampage feels a bit too drawn out and stuffed with filler.

Haven't tried Mojo Rampage, but have you tried "Our darker purpose" I couldn't get into it myself but that is maybe another option if you want something similar (read ripped off almost in entirety).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I thought about snagging it in that recent Humble Bundle but I already had most of the other stuff. If Isaac Rebirth hadn't just come out I'm sure I'd be willing to give Mojo more playtime.

crawlkill

Even if I had a controller I'd still rather use a mouse. Twin stick shooters are a way to make overhead shooters playable without a mouse but it's still an inferior option.

The mouse really serves no purpose when you can only fire in four directions except to create ambiguity as to which direction you might fire in when your mouse is distant.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The mouse really serves no purpose when you can only fire in four directions except to create ambiguity as to which direction you might fire in when your mouse is distant.

Not true, you can aim at the same area regardless of isaac's position and focus entirely on dodging (this is particularly useful against some of the less mobile bosses). I also don't have to play arrow key hopscotch when changing the direction of charged attacks like brimstone.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I never used the mouse except for the menu, but I can see how some people find it useful, and removing it entirely is dumb. Having could have made it possible to have 2 ppl on the same keyboard too. Actaully, that's already possible, but not supported for some bizarre reason.

crawlkill

Not true, you can aim at the same area regardless of isaac's position and focus entirely on dodging (this is particularly useful against some of the less mobile bosses). I also don't have to play arrow key hopscotch when changing the direction of charged attacks like brimstone.

True, I guess. But I play mister blurty chargeup demon fly-y baby exclusively and only find it very mildly disruptive with a controller. It's rare enough I get to play anything with an input device elemental enough I can recline while using it, and I kinda enjoy it.

Wish they'd gone full console and added rumble support. Isaac could do some fucked up shit with rumble support. It could throw you the fuck off, give you bad feedback, hit the directionally inappropriate motor or give you earthquakes of foreskin-throttling vibration to distract you from less important things mid-Satan.

Murk

Arcane
The lack of mouse really makes epic fetus and doctor's remote a pain in the ass, too.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought about snagging it in that recent Humble Bundle but I already had most of the other stuff. If Isaac Rebirth hadn't just come out I'm sure I'd be willing to give Mojo more playtime.
Don't, I regret buying it, the pace is horrible, game does not save (?) and overall it is a rip-off without even trying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom