Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The bestest vampire game/mod/module

sser

Arcane
Developer
Blood Bowl 2: Legendary Edition.

Morkar Left

Play as one of the Vampire Counts in Total War Warhammer

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This is an atmospheric CYAO, but the consequences for your choices are just random crap. Still, it's worth going through at least one chapter. https://www.choiceofgames.com/vampire/

Also, I strongly recommend you read Fevre Dream. It's the best vampire novel that exists. Then if you're game, you can read the Vampire The Masquerade Clan Novel Saga. It's very much in line with VTMB as you can imagine.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I always wondered: if a vampire sucks blood, does it go to his stomach, or does it directly enters his blood vessels?

How does it work?

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Think I'll agree with Legacy of Kain : Blood Omen, the whole series is pretty decent (sans Blood Omen 2) but Blood Omen is the best and entry point. Symphony of the Night is good but it doesn't really do much with Alucard's vampire status.

deama

Prophet
I always wondered: if a vampire sucks blood, does it go to his stomach, or does it directly enters his blood vessels?

How does it work?
From my understanding, the fangs have like a hole in them (kinda like a viper has), and when a vampire sucks blood it gets sucked through those holes, so it goes to some gland of some sorts, somewhere...
This is an atmospheric CYAO, but the consequences for your choices are just random crap. Still, it's worth going through at least one chapter. https://www.choiceofgames.com/vampire/

Also, I strongly recommend you read Fevre Dream. It's the best vampire novel that exists. Then if you're game, you can read the Vampire The Masquerade Clan Novel Saga. It's very much in line with VTMB as you can imagine.
Best vampire novel? Well, I guess that's nice, but what ensurance do I have that it is indeed the best? How many of these vampire novels have you read?

Cael

Arcane
Any of the Elder Scrolls games after about Daggerfall can have you playing a vampire. Given the buggy crap that was VtM, I'd say they would rate pretty high in comparison.

deama

Prophet
Any of the Elder Scrolls games after about Daggerfall can have you playing a vampire. Given the buggy crap that was VtM, I'd say they would rate pretty high in comparison.
Sadly, I disagree.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Best vampire novel? Well, I guess that's nice, but what ensurance do I have that it is indeed the best? How many of these vampire novels have you read?
Well, fair enough.

Let me preface by saying that I only enjoy movies/games/books where the protagonist is a vampire and not the kind where "humans fight blood suckers with iq 0", so we can eliminate all the crap like "Monster Hunter" by Correia that is considered "good vampire novels" by most.

Let's also mention that, just like with games and movies, there aren't that many books on vampires. I'm kind of obsessed with the subject, so I've seen all movies (bad or good, I don't care, it's just 1-2 hours). And I've read some books, but far from all, I concede. There's an entire genre of teen vamp novels for 13 year olds, and I'm not interested in that.

I've read "Vampires, Burial and Death: Folklore and Reality" by Barber, Interview with the Vampire (it's bad), VtM: Gehenna The Final Night, VtM: Clan Novel Saga, some of VtM: Dark Ages novels, Bloodsucking Fiends by Moore, The Historian by Kostova, and An Unattractive Vampire by Jim McDoniel. Now that I mention it, I remember that the Unattractive Vampire is a pretty funny (dark humor, subversion) book and so I also recommend that.

Fevre Dream, though, it's just so good, it's on another level. It doesn't stand near anything from the aforementioned.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I've read "Vampires, Burial and Death: Folklore and Reality" by Barber, Interview with the Vampire (it's bad), VtM: Gehenna The Final Night, VtM: Clan Novel Saga, some of VtM: Dark Ages novels, Bloodsucking Fiends by Moore, The Historian by Kostova, and An Unattractive Vampire by Jim McDoniel. Now that I mention it, I remember that the Unattractive Vampire is a pretty funny (dark humor, subversion) book and so I also recommend that.
Vampires as bewitching, handsome/beautiful misunderstood emos is a relatively new thing. The original vampires were nasty, ugly, smelly things, and just about every vampire analog in every part of the world has the same ugly, smelly, Evil thread. Just look at the penanggalan, for example, or the Chinese hopping vampire. Even Dracula himself was a nasty piece of work.

I like the Whitewolf RPG system, but I really dislike the way they did vampires in it. I prefer their werewolf and mage concepts. So it is no surprise I rate VtM that low as a game, on top of its buggy release and its psychotic fanbois.

deama

Prophet
Well, fair enough.

Let me preface by saying that I only enjoy movies/games/books where the protagonist is a vampire and not the kind where "humans fight blood suckers with iq 0", so we can eliminate all the crap like "Monster Hunter" by Correia that is considered "good vampire novels" by most.

Let's also mention that, just like with games and movies, there aren't that many books on vampires. I'm kind of obsessed with the subject, so I've seen all movies (bad or good, I don't care, it's just 1-2 hours). And I've read some books, but far from all, I concede. There's an entire genre of teen vamp novels for 13 year olds, and I'm not interested in that.

Fevre Dream, though, it's just so good, it's on another level. It doesn't stand near anything from the aforementioned.
Ok, you've convinced me. Would you say I should read it myself or can I listen to an audio book? The Fevre Dream novel I mean.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
There was this somewhat obscure RPG. Turn-based squad tactics where you create a team of vampires from scratch, then lead them to victory. It used dumbled down VtM setting, was generally focused on combat. Very simple yet cozy graphics, top-down, mostly red and black colors. I believe it was a trilogy.

Now, for the life of me I cannot recall the name. Probably someone here with better memory will show you the right direction. I remember it to be fun, albeit short game.

It could probably be a mobile game, but I played it on PC.

Cael

Arcane
There was this somewhat obscure RPG. Turn-based squad tactics where you create a team of vampires from scratch, then lead them to victory. It used dumbled down VtM setting, was generally focused on combat. Very simple yet cozy graphics, top-down, mostly red and black colors. I believe it was a trilogy.

Now, for the life of me I cannot recall the name. Probably someone here with better memory will show you the right direction. I remember it to be fun, albeit short game.

It could probably be a mobile game, but I played it on PC.
It is not Blade, is it?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
It is not Blade, is it?

Nah. VtM setting, top-down, turn-based, squad tactics, probably mobile. Very simple graphics. Somewhat like this:

sc_14.png

Only less crispy, more old-school.

Edit: just noticed it's a platformer on the pic. Disregard. Think Dungeon Crawl or smth.

Cael

Arcane
It is not Blade, is it?

Nah. VtM setting, top-down, turn-based, squad tactics, probably mobile. Very simple graphics. Somewhat like this:

sc_14.png

Edit: just noticed it's a platformer on the pic. Disregard. Think Dungeon Crawl or smth.

No idea, then. Sorry, mate. I had a number of VtM fanbois in my year and it turned me off vampires as a genre in general.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Would you say I should read it myself or can I listen to an audio book?
No idea. I've listened to an audio book once and it didn't work for me, I was constantly catching myself not listening to it and I couldn't go back a few pages to reread what I missed.

deama

Prophet
Would you say I should read it myself or can I listen to an audio book?
No idea. I've listened to an audio book once and it didn't work for me, I was constantly catching myself not listening to it and I couldn't go back a few pages to reread what I missed.
Well, the 3 dune books I listened to worked for me, I'll stick with audio books then.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
It is not Blade, is it?

I kind of wonder if you're trolling but I think the game you're referring to is VTM : Redemption.

My favourite vampire-themed game is Blood Omen, but since it's already been mentioned before and we're on the subject, there's a pretty trashy Nival game based on the Night Watch/ Day Watch Russian vampire novels/movies. The game uses the Silent Storm engine, but I remember it being quite bad. Been over 10 years since I've played it, though...

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dracula: Origin is an enjoyable adventure based on Bram Stroker's novel.

Cat

also: ⛽
Have you tried the Clan Quest Mod for VTMB? It's been a long time since I tried it, but I recall it being quite fun.

Freddie

Savant
I didn't see 'Sunglasses After Dark' (1989) by Nancy A. Collins mentioned. Only vampire novel besides Dracula I thought was still decent when I re-read it again as adult. It's very different than Dracula, there is sort of punk attitude, but very good. I read at least one of the sequels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom