Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best Europa Universalis 3 mod?

I've been downloading mods for EU3 and other games, so I want to ask the Codex: Which is the best EU3 mod? And why? MEIOU? Magna Mundi? Death and Taxes? Terranova? etc etc etc... DISCUSS!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I played Magna Mundi for a while but didn't like their treatment of the non-majors, especially the Americas, India, and some parts of Asia. Then I switched to Meiou, which has a better focus on some of those issues, but might sacrifice elsewhere. Not really sure as I haven't played MM in quite some time, and haven't played Meiou probably for a few updates since CK2 came out. I enjoyed it the most out of the major mods though. I think it also has the best world map out of the bunch. It's like with the major MTW2 mods, they all haven't different areas that they excel in. My advice: just create a couple of different EU3 installs and test out a handful. Delete as necessary.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Short summary:

MMU - the hardest mod but the difficulty comes mainly from unfair bullshit things like the famous framed event. But it is the hardest one thus interesting.

SRI - expands mainly on the HRE and adds some difficulty, especially to HRE. MMU uses it, dont know of fully or partially.

Death and Taxes - expands the timeline and adds some stuff, mainly modifying sliders and national ideas. Easy mod.

MEIOU - prettfies the map, adds lots of provinces and stuff. Easy mod.

If you want challenge only MMU tries to give it. If you want pretty MEIOU rules.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Was going to ask this.... Any mod which adds things like historical events, decisions, and fix the flags?

Most mods fix the flags, especially those that make the game prettier. The easy mods I mentioned add some country specific decisions and missions but there are no mods aimed at remaking eu2 in eu3 if you want that.

Renegen

Arcane
It also bears mention that MMU is buggy as hell.
Vaarna bullshit alert.

From my experience MEIOU is an unfinished piece of crap that actually copies a lot from MMU for no reason. The interface is also worse. You will have cluttered renaissance paintings everywhere and stupid things like the cavalry and infantry icon having the same color, and the font being hard to read making every interface decision you make take up 1-2 more seconds.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MMU is buggy though, especially its subsystems. Granted often its difficult to tell a bug from a bullshit design decision...

Nim

Augur
For me, Meiou is way too slow to give it a proper shot. Plus I hate the changed interface in general.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I have EUIII complete edition with Divine Winds, so Death & Taxes is probably my only option. No Magna Mund for me :(
More event, less crazy AI, stronger sliders and ideas. Basic stuff. It feels like community patch rather than a mod.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have EUIII complete edition with Divine Winds, so Death & Taxes is probably my only option. No Magna Mund for me :(
It's for your own good that way. MMU is overrated and ultimately pretty shit when all the good elements are overshadowed by retarded bullshit and sloppy worksmanship.

TripJack

Hedonist
More event, less crazy AI, stronger sliders and ideas. Basic stuff. It feels like community patch rather than a mod.
you can always get a seven seas edition of the game without divine wind or httt or whatever

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Short summary:

Death and Taxes - expands the timeline and adds some stuff, mainly modifying sliders and national ideas. Easy mod.

MEIOU - prettfies the map, adds lots of provinces and stuff. Easy mod.

If you want challenge only MMU tries to give it. If you want pretty MEIOU rules.

Are these "easy mods" easier than vanilla? Or just equally easy?

Cassidy

Arcane
Slightly more difficult than vanilla would be a more exact way to describe them, I think.

Seriously though: best way to have a fun and challenging game is multiplayer. Giving insane penalties and ass-pulled random negative events to the player only is the shit and unfun way of having a challenge. Forcing "historical realism" is just LARP bullshit there is enough railroading in modern gaming as it is already.

Also, MEIOU and Death and Taxes are the only mods compatible with Divine Wind.

Multi-headed Cow

My EU3-playing bro commanded me to play with "Miscmods", which he said was better in every way than regular EU3 with all expansions. Is "MMU" Miscmods, and was I bamboozled by my scoundrel of an internet bro?

Not that it likely made much of a difference since I sunk about 3 hours in to EU3 and still don't have a good grasp of it compared to CK2.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
To me it mostly depends on what you like to do. If you like map-painting easiness, then MEIOU is fun. It has some tweeks and is slightly "deeper" than vanilla.
If you like slow expansion and more involved, difficult games, then MMU is good. I almost exclusively play it whenever I play EU3. I don't think it is all that buggy. It is a cheating peace of shit if you want to do things like go against the big lucky nations as too small a nation, however.

I only have HttT, so I haven't played newer versions of MEIOU or D&T at all, but I think they should be pretty similar to older MEIOU. I personally prefer MMU, but then again I normally play until I accomplish a goal and then start cheating back.

I have also heard that Miscmods is pretty good, but I never tried them.

Cassidy

Arcane
I have also heard that Miscmods is pretty good, but I never tried them.

Having read its thread, MiscMods major features are its alternate history scenarios which include a 1399 where Scandinavia and Finland remain pagan and Finland still exists as an independent nation, the Reconquista failed, Italy is partly conquered by the religion of peace while the Ottomans dangerously expand over central europe, another where the Kingdom of Jerusalem still exist but due to all focus of Crusades over the Levant the Albigensians were never crushed and became a major heresy in southern France, and the most.. interesting of all:

6QVYw.jpg

Post-ITZ Europe.

Looks like... a Civilization kind of game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried MEIOU as Frankfurt, but that was an epic fail on the mod's side.

MANY descriptors and titles missing, graphical bugs (some events are almost black text on almost black background, wtf?). And it is impossible to change your system as a "Freie Reichsstadt", it seems. At least I tried with a decision (one with a missing title and description...) and all I got was a pretty weird event - some kind of revolt - and nothing else happened, even when that revolt was over. I don't know about other countries, but for a "Freie Reichsstadt", that mod is simply broken. And it also crashes every few years, and sometimes, background graphics disappear. Seriously, do they not test their stuff? :D

I then switched to MPM (More Provinces Mod). It does a bit more than just adding more, better and historical provinces, and also has Frankfurt, so I sticked with that one.
Really wish Magna Mundi was available for DW, but I don't think one should put too high hopes into the team that tries to port it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Second clean installation for other mods compatible with DW and you are set.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom