Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb The best beginning in an RPG

Falksi

Arcane
How the fuck are people saying Fallout 3?
The brilliance of the original Fallout was that you (as the player) begin to play a character who is in the exact same boat as you. You know nothing of the outside world and you set off to explore it together. This, and it was done without use of the amnesiac mechanism which is the cheapest possible way of getting the same effect.

And then Fallout 3 takes a massive dump on that idea. Here is your birth. Your father. Your friends. Your vault. The player isn't even the hero of the story, their fucking father is and they just tag along in his footsteps. And the fact that the media praised it as some revolutionary introduction to the game... People go and watch the Transformer movies too, I guess.

Personally I liked it. I like the fact that it tied in your character creation and the tutorial aspects of the game with growing up. Also think it was just very well executed and something a bit original.
What the original FO did shouldn't really matter.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
My all time favorite beginning from Bioshock. After Infinite only got stronger point.

tumblr_inline_mk76z65wkL1qz4rgp.jpg

Last edited:

bylam

Funcom
Developer

Let's ignore the fact that I was contrasting a good RPG beginning with what I consider to be a very poor one. Your statement is still incorrect when referring to a game called FALLOUT 3. Of course what the first one did matters.

I think if Bethesda had just called their game "Post-apocalyptic simulator" people on this forum would have given the game more slack. But they also smeared their complete misunderstanding of the series all over the third entry. That is why people react so strongly.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If a RPG has character creation that goes even slightly beyond picking a name I always end up starting the game at least a dozen times, because I'm just not comfortable with my choice.
Hence I can really appreciate games with an open beginning, such as Morrowind. There are no words that accurately describe the contempt I feel towards unskipable cutscenes, tutorials and early dungeons.

Lhynn

Arcane
when referring to a game called FALLOUT 3.
Reminder that after fallout 3 we got fallout 4, a game with an even more stupid start which manages to be more offensive and more stupid, and somehow feels longer.

Falksi

Arcane
Let's ignore the fact that I was contrasting a good RPG beginning with what I consider to be a very poor one. Your statement is still incorrect when referring to a game called FALLOUT 3. Of course what the first one did matters.

I think if Bethesda had just called their game "Post-apocalyptic simulator" people on this forum would have given the game more slack. But they also smeared their complete misunderstanding of the series all over the third entry. That is why people react so strongly.

Not if you haven't played the first game, and I haven't.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally I liked it. I like the fact that it tied in your character creation and the tutorial aspects of the game with growing up. Also think it was just very well executed and something a bit original.

You can like it all you want, but it's just not good.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
How the fuck are people saying Fallout 3?
The brilliance of the original Fallout was that you (as the player) begin to play a character who is in the exact same boat as you. You know nothing of the outside world and you set off to explore it together. This, and it was done without use of the amnesiac mechanism which is the cheapest possible way of getting the same effect.

And then Fallout 3 takes a massive dump on that idea. Here is your birth. Your father. Your friends. Your vault. The player isn't even the hero of the story, their fucking father is and they just tag along in his footsteps. And the fact that the media praised it as some revolutionary introduction to the game... People go and watch the Transformer movies too, I guess.

Have you considered that maybe people don't give a shit about the differences between Fallout and Fallout 3's opening?

Some people like the "growing up" beginning sequence. I personally don't like it for one reason: it feels poorly done, not as a video game and RPG, but as a cinematic experience. It feels extremely half-assed and poorly written, considerably so in the birth and toddler segments.

While New Vegas' intro has much more punch and it's a much better RPG, the intro sequence is still fairly lame outside of the cutscene: all the player sees is that he was shot in the head, and the next second he is walking around a room and exploring Goodsprings. No quick montage of Victor saving you, Doc patching you up, Doc examining you looking for good signals, no nothing.

The original Fallout has a fantastic intro movie (so good Bethesda felt the need to copy it twice), but the intro gameplay sequence is fairly shit. The intro video finishes with the player leaving for the spooky unknown, and there lie... rats. Lots of rats. Talk about reversal of expectations.

This goes for Outlander too, a good "RPG begining" is not the same as a good "beginning". And judging from the OP, it is clear octavius wasn't talking about "which game has the best character creation process" or anything like it, so "IT DOESN'T LEAVE ROOM FOR MY ROLEPLAYING" is kind of an autistic excuse to dislike a game's beginning.

My favorite intro because of that is Vagrant Story: it's cinematic as fuck in the good sense, not just "there's a camera and you can't control your character". It goes from place to place quickly establishing the factions and the characters of the game to great effect.

Krivol

Magister

Not if you haven't played the first game, and I haven't.

When you were typing "rpg codex" in your browser you probably tried to type "rpg watch"...

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
I liked the Fallout 3's childhood-as-character-creation thing. It actually made you feel like you were leaving something behind when you went to the wasteland. And FO3 was never going to be like the previous games anyway so it may as well have tried to go its own way (which it did not have the balls to do).

Krivol

Magister
I liked the Fallout 3's childhood-as-character-creation thing. It actually made you feel like you were leaving something behind when you went to the wasteland. And FO3 was never going to be like the previous games anyway so it may as well have tried to go its own way (which it did not have the balls to do).

098.jpg

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yeah, that was one of the few things I liked about it. Too bad almost everything else was shit. Heck, even the execution of that first Vault part was subpar gameplay wise.

Krivol

Magister
Really you liked being a 1 year old kid? Really? I mean... really?

In F1 and F2 you can imagine what type of a man you were in the past, also in New Vegas. Oh and now I remember - birthsday cookie, Butch, headshoting your pap with BB gun - yes, amusing as fuck...

duchU

Educated
My first RPG experience was Eye of the Beholder 1 IIRC but I was a child and leeches terrified me as fuck so I didn't even complete the first floor in that time :D

If I had to choose one then I would probably go with Might and Magic 6 (I was in love with HoMM2 too so...)

Others:
BG1
EoB2
Quest for Glory 1 VGA / 2 EGA
System Shock 2
TW1
VtM:B

More recent ones:
AntharioN
Hearts of Stone
The Quest
UnderRail

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
  • You wake up somewhere.
  • You don't know where you are.
  • You don't know who you are.
  • Hijinks ensue.
Done.

This is practically a gigantic trope by now, and it chafes somewhat with "true" roleplaying games á la PnP, but it simply works and allows information to be conveyed to you without explaining why you're asking questions that should be fucking stupid, and it gives you the freedom to define your character from that point onward. Exactly why or how you lost your memory (or indeed, even whether you actually did or not) can serve as a vessel for storytelling, but it really doesn't have to. Planescape: Torment did, but (afaik) no Elder Scrolls game did.

I always thought of you as someone dumped in a specific place at a specific time by Azura; it fitted pretty well with both Morrowind and Oblivion. Skyrim shat a bit on that.

Shin

Cipher
  • You wake up somewhere.
  • You don't know where you are.
  • You don't know who you are.
  • Hijinks ensue.
Done.

This is practically a gigantic trope by now, and it chafes somewhat with "true" roleplaying games á la PnP, but it simply works and allows information to be conveyed to you without explaining why you're asking questions that should be fucking stupid, and it gives you the freedom to define your character from that point onward. Exactly why or how you lost your memory (or indeed, even whether you actually did or not) can serve as a vessel for storytelling, but it really doesn't have to. Planescape: Torment did, but (afaik) no Elder Scrolls game did.

I always thought of you as someone dumped in a specific place at a specific time by Azura; it fitted pretty well with both Morrowind and Oblivion. Skyrim shat a bit on that.

good point, I like the opening of the elder scrolls games (well, mixed feelings on Skyrim; the intro scene where you're rolling along on that cart was cool, the entire 'fight yourself out of this keep while heavily scripted dragons flap around' sucks ass. But yeah, the crown of openings has to go to PS:T for me; friggin Morte man.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Chrono Trigger. Your mom wakes you up and gives you pocket money so you can go and pick up chicks at an amusement park and travel back in time.

No other RPG has even come close to match this opening.

vota DC

Augur
Rome pathway to rome.

Earthbound: investigate about a meteor with the help of your dog and eric cartman.

Deleted member 7219

My pick would be The Witcher 2. Waking up next to Triss, meeting up with the King, and taking down some rebel scum - three things that appeal to me all within the first 30 minutes.

Others worth mentioning: Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Final Fantasy IX and X.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Gothic.

System Shock 2 beginning is great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom