Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a surprisingly naive statement from you Infini, the cost is in the contract.

But that's a future cost that doesn't eat into your development funds.

In inXile's case, Deep Silver acquired the right to sell physical copies of their game, which they probably wouldn't have done otherwise, so that's essentially cost-free.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
In inXile's case, Deep Silver acquired the right to sell physical copies of their game, which they probably wouldn't have done otherwise, so that's essentially cost-free.

And we all learned a lesson from that, namely that Deep Sliver should never again be allowed anywhere near projects with at least half an expectation.

Still curious where ToNN are going for their boxed sets. Poor backers if it's DS again, but then that really would be Inxiles fault this time for letting it happen again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
See, I have many years of experience of these kinds of things. Basically shit happens sometimes (because of the vendors you are using). *Suddenly* there is some delay in the product, of which you have no control over. And there is nothing you can do.

Depending on how the Vendor handles this, I'd bet you Deep Silver will never ever again be using this Vendor for Boxed games ever again. I hated to have to make that call, as soon as they finally fucking shipped our product, that we will NEVER EVER use your company again.

Good times. That's why I left that job haha

Weasel

Not quite sure what you mean here, that Deep Silver wouldn't have signed the retail deal if they didn't have to do the kickstarter stuff? IMO they wanted the retail deal and the kickstarter stuff is just a bargaining chip - "instead of giving us 20% of the retail revenues for handling all the distribution, give us 30% and we'll do the kickstarter stuff too".

Anyway, I certainly agree with you on the future cost vs development funds deferment, probably very useful in a project of this sort.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All I know is that I don't want another Bard's Tale. I would not back it.

Morkar Left

I would want a new Bard's Tale. Could combine the traditional lore and gameplay with the action rpg char. Use the lore, classes and the like from the original BT, the engine from W2 and the humour from the action rpg.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
why don't they make something original

Because name recognition is very helpful in getting attention to your game.

Not sure inxile needs name recognition at this point to launch a sucessful KS (if thats their intention), if they are developing this without a KS, then a recognized IP would go a ways to create some positive press and hype for the game.

Darkzone

Arcane
I would want a new Bard's Tale. Could combine the traditional lore and gameplay with the action rpg char. Use the lore, classes and the like from the original BT.
Yes to that. But the problem would be in breaking the 4th wall by the bard. I simply would love to see him again and to recruit him, to bring in some humor into the party.
the engine from W2 and the humour from the action rpg.
The engine as in Unity 3d 4.5 ? This will be most probably the engine. The Humor is quite difficult, it was focused on the narrator, the bard, the talking sword, the three drools and on the things that happened. So if inXile cuts out the narrator, the sword and the three drools, then it would be quite good. I love the scene where they play Nuckelavee and the bard plays on his mandoline, without any bad face expression. This things seem to happen often to the bard, like the story with the dragon.
So is support The Bard's Tale with the bard as some recruitable funny Han Solo type, that can summon rats, and is always flirting with some women. And the bard has to be voiced by the same actor.
And yes no dancing skeletons.

Morkar Left

I wouldn't mind to have him as a main actor, or even better as a must-have-in-your-party npc because he's important for the story. But on the later one he could possibly steal the pc the showtime. Hard to handle.

Regards to the engine I think the W2 engine works well enough and I would like to see them focus more on finetuning instead of reinventing the wheel again to. Would probably give more time for working on other stuff.

Darkzone

Arcane
I wouldn't mind to have him as a main actor, or even better as a must-have-in-your-party npc because he's important for the story. But on the later one he could possibly steal the pc the showtime. Hard to handle.
Spoken with Batman's voice: True. That can be a problem. He is simply too classy, for anyone to handle. BECAUSE HE IS... THE BARD!.

Regards to the engine I think the W2 engine works well enough and I would like to see them focus more on finetuning instead of reinventing the wheel again to. Would probably give more time for working on other stuff.
It is a free engine. Many developers are using it, and it is getting even more popular. And PoE and T:ToN are made on this. So most certainly they will not switch to any other engine in the next future.

Morkar Left

Ah well when they already were switching. I thought they were still using unity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah well when they already were switching. I thought they were still using unity.

Uh, they are.

Darkzone is confusing you. There is no "W2 engine". There's a Wasteland 2 codebase. The engine is Unity.

I don't know if they will not abandon it and switch to using Obsidian's PoE code exclusively.

Darkzone

Arcane

Uh, they are. Darkzone is confusing you. There is no "W2 engine". There's a Wasteland 2 codebase. The engine is Unity.

I don't know if they will not abandon it and switch to using Obsidian's PoE code exclusively.
Wait Wait.. How am i confusing him?

The engine as in Unity 3d 4.5 ? This will be most probably the engine.
It is a free engine. Many developers are using it, and it is getting even more popular. And PoE and T:ToN are made on this. So most certainly they will not switch to any other engine in the next future.
Is that not obvious? I thought he was just playing a joke on me. Wait. Infi you are not playing a joke on me now?

Morkar Left

I'm the one confusing you guys! I read Unreal for some reason... It's time for me to stop learning and concentrate more on the codex

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Uh, they are.

Darkzone is confusing you. There is no "W2 engine". There's a Wasteland 2 codebase. The engine is Unity.

What are the differences? What would make Inxile switch to a different company's codebase, for the same engine, when they have one of their own?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Uh, they are.

What are the differences? What would make Inxile switch to a different company's codebase, for the same engine, when they have one of their own?

The fact that Obsidian's lets them do those lovely 2D isometric environments that so many RPGers fap to, for one thing.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Uh, they are.

The fact that Obsidian's lets them do those lovely 2D isometric environments that so many RPGers fap to, for one thing.

Hmm.. with a really good or unusual art-direction then I agree it can be quite striking, but when you hit mediocre (and have you seen anything recently that hasn't been?) then I usually prefer 3d because that hides a lot of cracks in identity. It would be a shame for them to switch just for the sake of it and then continue to be 'fine'... for 3d.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
(and have you seen anything recently that hasn't been?)

I dunno, Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera?

I don't know what your standards are. It's not like there's a huge number of games made using this technique. But they usually look pretty good.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmm.. with a really good or unusual art-direction then I agree it can be quite striking, but when you hit mediocre (and have you seen anything recently that hasn't been?) then I usually prefer 3d because that hides a lot of cracks in identity. It would be a shame for them to switch just for the sake of it and then continue to be 'fine'... for 3d.
Can you do 15 minutes of research on what is actually being made before posting next time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom