Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

As others have noted, previous inxile kickstarters had a clear selling point. I understood what TTON was about - weird setting, reactivity and C&C - even if they were silent about e.g. whether it was TB or RTwP at first. Bard's Tale is a painfully generic high fantasy, so it's main selling point is the blobber style. So when it is unclear what sort of blobber it is a week into the campaign, I consider that's a glaring omission.

No, wasteland was kickstarted as the fallout father and Torment was just being Torment. Inxile can't stand for itself.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That seems like a step down in verisimilitude from JA2 or FFT, in which unit turns, both player and opponent, are decided by unit speed.
Some would say the ability to determine turn order is an upside from a tactical perspective, not a downside.

I can't believe it's been a week and we're still speculating on the most basic elements of gameplay features.
Is this your first Kickstarter?

As others have noted, previous inxile kickstarters had a clear selling point. I understood what TTON was about - weird setting, reactivity and C&C - even if they were silent about e.g. whether it was TB or RTwP at first. Bard's Tale is a painfully generic high fantasy, so it's main selling point is the blobber style. So when it is unclear what sort of blobber it is a week into the campaign, I consider that's a glaring omission.
It is hard to sell this to wide audience, so they decided to go with graphics as that always sells.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Good video response. Explaining what a blobber is, lol. (was that word coined here?)

I believe the campaign is going as they planned, but maybe not as they hoped. As for the projection im guessing the lower end of the scale, so 2 million or thereabout.

Nowadays on KS you need to show solid work in progress for your game (i like the way HBS did this) or even have a presentable version of the game already (as brilliantly done by Larian), so im curious as to what inXile can show us in future updates (ingame footage, artwork, mechanics, dungeon levels etc).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You'll forgive me for not wanting Bard's Tale to be Medieval X-Com. And with only 4 PC's to boot.

Cringe-worthy.

Metro, you should give up blobbers. The way you hated Might & Magic X and now this... Medieval X-Com? Really? Just because your battle orders are processed in a different sequence?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You'll forgive me for not wanting Bard's Tale to be Medieval X-Com. And with only 4 PC's to boot.

Cringe-worthy.

Metro, you should give up blobbers. The way you hated Might & Magic X and now this... Medieval X-Com? Really? Just because your battle orders are processed in a different sequence?

Yeah, Metro can be pretty weird about this stuff. I remember him geeking out over Legend of Grimrock 2 for months before its release, but in the end I'm not sure he even played it. When we floated the suggestion of him doing a review for it, he wanted us to buy him a review copy. :M

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
[combat explanation]

Thanks a lot. This step-by-step explanation cleared it up perfectly. Good system! Now I also recall all the wasted actions in Wiz8. My fanboism of Wiz8 made me blind thinking there was no better system :roll:

Metro why are you dismissing it because of only 4 characters? Don't you feel pity for the (future) console gamers? They would be overburdened with more than 4 buttons.
:troll:

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Watched the vid. Eh. Why do they have to put in this retarded shit from older consoles where you couldn't save progress just anywhere? Even in Dark Souls where you can't save - you don't actually lose progress, just souls. The inventory stays, etc. Meh. He even said that you can lose 2 hours of progress. What?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't worry, I'm already pretty sure that after lots of butthurt they'll add an Easy Mode with save anywhere

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That seems like a step down in verisimilitude from JA2 or FFT, in which unit turns, both player and opponent, are decided by unit speed.
Some would say the ability to determine turn order is an upside from a tactical perspective, not a downside.

I'd rather they have taken inspiration from Elminage: Gothic.
In that game, you can specify characters to take their actions after another has.
That does mean a fast character's might wait for 5 or so other creatures (or party members) to act first before the person he is waiting on has had a chance to act.

Athelas

Arcane
I'd rather they have taken inspiration from Elminage: Gothic.
In that game, you can specify characters to take their actions after another has.
That does mean a fast character's might wait for 5 or so other creatures (or party members) to act first before the person he is waiting on has had a chance to act.
Well, player and enemy turns are intermingled in Elminage Gothic, no? What you describe is mostly suited to a 'true' phase-based system (Frozen Synapse has something similar where you can specify a wait period before an action is executed). For the Bard's Tale, they've already said player and enemy phases will be separated.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Cringe-worthy.

Yeah, Metro can be pretty weird about this stuff. I remember him geeking out over Legend of Grimrock 2 for months before its release, but in the end I'm not sure he even played it. When we floated the suggestion of him doing a review for it, he wanted us to buy him a review copy. :M
What's the point of being a prestigious magazine if you don't get review copies.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've been blobbing before your newfag ass was born. Head on back to RPG Watch.

Lord Andre

Arcane

Zeriel

Arcane
Good video response. Explaining what a blobber is, lol. (was that word coined here?)

I believe the campaign is going as they planned, but maybe not as they hoped. As for the projection im guessing the lower end of the scale, so 2 million or thereabout.

Nowadays on KS you need to show solid work in progress for your game (i like the way HBS did this) or even have a presentable version of the game already (as brilliantly done by Larian), so im curious as to what inXile can show us in future updates (ingame footage, artwork, mechanics, dungeon levels etc).

Larian got less money from their entire campaign than BT 4 has gotten in the first few days. :M

The truth is that Kickstarter funding has little to do with the ostensible quality of the product, or the readiness of a gameplay prototype. It really seems to come down to the proper hype quotient. An old school dungeon crawler where gay bards sing just isn't as exciting to people as an isometric RPG with guns and radiation, or Baldur's Gate 3.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Assuming inXile made a lot of money from WL2, I doubt the KS funding is as important to this game's budget as it was for their past ones.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is that what it's going to be? Yep, my money is going to Todd.

Somebody shoot this nigga...
Bitch please, this ain't no blobber.

No, not 100% blobber, probably not even 70%, but you have money oldfag, you can buy both so cough it up. Worst case scenario you have to cut into your liquor funds and then your posts will start making sense again. :lol:
Liquor funds are sacrosanct. At least with FO4 I know what I'm getting. It's why Raising Cane's is the only fast food place I go to anymore. They got chicken fingers... and chicken fingers. They aren't amazing chicken fingers but I know what I'm getting in advance. This odd melange of genres Fargo is spinning is a wait-and-see-proposition.

Apexeon

Arcane

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://thebardstalerpg.tumblr.com/post/121145628295/new-reward-tiers

New reward tiers!
Today we’re happy to roll out some new reward tiers for you guys! First up, we have the $33 Guide to Skara Brae tier that includes the Digital Guidebook and Digital Artbook, and by popular demand, we have brought back the Supreme Box Collector tier at $675 for those who want to fill out their shelves!

tumblr_inline_nppc50uCRb1rgj7s2_500.jpg

And if you haven’t already, be sure to check out our full Kickstarter reward chart!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom